Who Produced the First Resin Kit in HO?

gary laakso

I think William Clouster introduced resin in O scale, ages ago, at least per Model Railroader. Who produced the first resin kit in HO?

gary laakso
south of Mike Brock
vasa0vasa@...

Eugene E. Deimling <losgatos48@...>

His name was William Clouser and the material he used was a metal-
filled industrial epoxy. It would dull a drill in a few seconds.

Gene Deimling

--- In STMFC@..., "gary laakso" <vasa0vasa@...> wrote:

I think William Clouster introduced resin in O scale, ages ago, at
least per Model Railroader. Who produced the first resin kit in HO?

gary laakso
south of Mike Brock
vasa0vasa@...

Richard Hendrickson

On Feb 7, 2007, at 12:27 PM, gary laakso wrote:

I think William Clouster introduced resin in O scale, ages ago, at least per Model Railroader. Who produced the first resin kit in HO?
The earliest ones I'm aware of were produced by Dennis Storzek, now of Accurail. Dennis, who is on this list, may know if there were earlier examples.

Richard Hendrickson

cj riley <cjriley42@...>

The earliest resin kits I am aware of were structure kits by Lytler & Lytler,
back in the '70s. They were several story commercial buildings of an ornate
design. Also made of a tough resin. I also believe some of the old Red
Ball/Wabash valley car kits were done in resin, but before Dennis? There were
also some early clear resin Autos and trucks, also from a tough resin.

CJ Riley

--- Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...> wrote:

On Feb 7, 2007, at 12:27 PM, gary laakso wrote:

I think William Clouster introduced resin in O scale, ages ago, at
least per Model Railroader. Who produced the first resin kit in HO?
The earliest ones I'm aware of were produced by Dennis Storzek, now of
Accurail. Dennis, who is on this list, may know if there were earlier
examples.

Richard Hendrickson

Be a PS3 game guru.

Westerfield <westerfield@...>

Richard - I produced cars about a year before Dennis did (I remember him complaining to me about the accuracy of one of my kits - I later returned the favor about his spurious Accurail road names - all in fun) but Funaro produced his auto car while still in high school, probably before me. And Eric Bronsky made some HO traction about the same time. My kits were the first in wide distribution. - Al

On Feb 7, 2007, at 3:56 PM, Westerfield wrote:

My kits were the first in wide distribution.
Certainly no argument there, Al, and I'm proud to say I was one of your earliest customers, back in the fragile green resin era.

Richard Hendrickson

Jerry Dziedzic

Green resin? Was that an earlier product than the metal-filled 1201
G22 Pennsy gon that I busted half a dozen drill bits on so long ago?

That gon soldiers on faithfully here, though most every time we
couple onto it another chip flies off into the etric. The car
certainly satisfies the old ICC requirements of a rebuild. I doubt
that there's much more left of the original than the rivet holes.

My very best, Al and Patricia. Your kits raised the bar of modeling
standards. More importantly, you've always been very gracious to me,
on the rare occasions that we meet or we correspond. Good health!

Jerry Dziedzic
Pattenburg, NJ

--- In STMFC@..., Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...>
wrote:

On Feb 7, 2007, at 3:56 PM, Westerfield wrote:

My kits were the first in wide distribution.
Certainly no argument there, Al, and I'm proud to say I was one of
your
earliest customers, back in the fragile green resin era.

Richard Hendrickson

Dennis Storzek

wrote:

On Feb 7, 2007, at 12:27 PM, gary laakso wrote:

I think William Clouster introduced resin in O scale, ages ago, at
least per Model Railroader. Who produced the first resin kit in HO?
The earliest ones I'm aware of were produced by Dennis Storzek, now of
Accurail. Dennis, who is on this list, may know if there were earlier
examples.

Richard Hendrickson
At the time I started, Al Westerfield was already in production, and
had produced several kits. Al was using polyester resin; miserable
brittle stuff that made the molds swell, so if one wasn't careful to
not re-fill the molds too soon, each successive set of parts would be
bigger. I was aware of Clouser's O scale work with aluminum filled
epoxy, and decided that was a better way to go. My problem then became
mold life, as the epoxy tried to do a good job of bonding itself to
the silicone RTV rubber, and eventually succeeded. Both Al and I
independently found the urethane that has become the standard for
resin kits ever since.

While William J. Clouser had already done epoxy resin kits for O scale
AAR boxcars, traction equipment, and even a narrow gauge car, I can't
think of anyone who had an HO resin kit on the market before Al
Westerfield.

I find it interesting that people keep asking Al when he is going to
do the Frisco "sawtooth" car. Before I started in the business, I
corresponded with Al, offering to measure and draw a Soo Line
"sawtooth" boxcar if he'd do a kit of it. Al's reply was that drawings
of the Frisco car were already in the Car Builder's Cyc, and he could
just do that car. That wasn't good enough for me, I wanted a Soo Line
car, so I decided to go it alone. Now, twenty-five years later,
apparently the Frisco car still isn't done.

Dennis

armprem

Dennis,I think that Ted has a Frisco in his line.Armand Premo

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Aramnd Premo wrote:
"Dennis, I think that Ted has a Frisco in his line."

Hey Armand, who the heck do you think provided the masters for this kit?
http://www.speedwitch.com/Models/k108.htm

Great to see this kit back on the market - it's been sorely missed.

Ben Hom

earlyrail

wrote:

On Feb 7, 2007, at 12:27 PM, gary laakso wrote:

I think William Clouster introduced resin in O scale, ages ago, at
least per Model Railroader. Who produced the first resin kit in HO?
The earliest ones I'm aware of were produced by Dennis Storzek, now of
Accurail. Dennis, who is on this list, may know if there were earlier
examples.

Richard Hendrickson
Don't forget Roller Bearing Models.
Some of the first epoxy kits, or at least major parts of the kits.

Howard Garner

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Richard,

I'm going to date myself here, but I seem to remember that there were HOn2/2.5 resin kits for Sandy River box cars back in the early 1970s. Wouldn't that would predate Dennis' models.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Richard Hendrickson wrote:

On Feb 7, 2007, at 12:27 PM, gary laakso wrote:

I think William Clouster introduced resin in O scale, ages ago, at least per Model Railroader. Who produced the first resin kit in HO?
The earliest ones I'm aware of were produced by Dennis Storzek, now of Accurail. Dennis, who is on this list, may know if there were earlier examples.

Richard Hendrickson

Steve and Barb Hile

The Frisco sawtooth car is featured as the January 2007 release on Al Westerfield's website.

http://www.westerfield.biz/it020001.htm

Regards,
Steve Hile

Howard Garner wrote:
"Don't forget Roller Bearing Models."

I've been trying to forget them since that first PRR Class H25 hopper
kit. :-)

Ben Hom

armprem

ME TOO!A.Premo

> I've been trying to forget them since that first PRR Class H25 hopper
> kit. :-)
>

> Ben Hom
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links
>

> --

Pieter Roos

Pollymold Castings Corp made a SR&RL boxcar kit in epoxy resin. I
think the date was 1972 (I can check at home tonight) and later a pair
of WW&F passenger cars and freelance caboose, all HOn30 (or HOn2 1/2
as it was called at the time). There may have been an N scale
Interurban in epoxy by another maker before the Polymold kits. I think
Bill Clouser preceeded all of them however; the last article
referencing him is in the March 1971 Model Railroader according to the
Kalmbach indexs, which would have discussed his resin kits as an
existing product.

Pieter Roos

--- In STMFC@..., "Garth G. Groff" <ggg9y@...> wrote:

Richard,

I'm going to date myself here, but I seem to remember that there were
HOn2/2.5 resin kits for Sandy River box cars back in the early 1970s.
Wouldn't that would predate Dennis' models.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

rfederle@...

Thanks Howard,

I was trying to think of that name. Roller Bearing Models, I think I still have a kit unbuilt. It was a "Waffle Side" Boxcar.

Robert Federle

wrote:

On Feb 7, 2007, at 12:27 PM, gary laakso wrote:

I think William Clouster introduced resin in O scale, ages ago, at
least per Model Railroader. Who produced the first resin kit in HO?
The earliest ones I'm aware of were produced by Dennis Storzek, now of
Accurail. Dennis, who is on this list, may know if there were earlier
examples.

Richard Hendrickson
Don't forget Roller Bearing Models.
Some of the first epoxy kits, or at least major parts of the kits.

Howard Garner

Rhbale@...

Bill Clouser had samples of his O scale resin box cars at the PCR 25th
Anniversary Convention at Disneyland in 1969. But they didn't draw much attention
because Clouser was there to demonstrate the use of Strathmore board. For the
convention, Leighton Keeling arranged to have three master craftsmen working
alongside each other in three very different materials. Sitting next to Clouser
was Alan Armitage working in styrene (still very new in 1969) and at the end of
the table, with a cloud of cigar smoke hanging over him, was Bill Hoffman who
was rapidly fabricating an O scale Pacific Electric car in basswood. Hoffman
finished the body before the convention was over.

Dick Bale
Carlsbad, CA

Rhbale@...

I'm curious if anyone knows why the significant difference in time required
to clean up Kemtron casting vs those from Valley Brass, since production at
both firms was handled by Harry Parker, a production manager with considerable
experience in investment casting. In early 1959, John Anderson, who made many of
Kemtron's masters, and Parker left Kemalyon to start Valley Brass & Bronze, a
firm based in Fresno, California, that marketed model railroad products under
the name Cal-Scale.

Dick Bale
Carlsbad, CA

Mike Fortney

Around 1981 or so, I bought one of those Roller Bearing Models
amber-colored, sticky resin waffle side cars prepainted in something
from the future called "ICG". Sold the kit at a swap meet years ago.
Absolutely dreadful resin kit, especially compared with what we have
available today.

Mike Fortney