MP 50' express car

Bill Vaughn

I'm looking for info on the MP 50' express cars in the 353xxx series.
The cars have a fishbelly underframe. I need info on the underframe
and brake rigging. Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks
Bill Vaughn

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Tim O'Connor wrote:
Would anyone have built NEW cars around 1940 with fishbelly center sills?
Sure. Look at the early TOFC flat cars.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

--- Bill Vaughn wrote:

I'm looking for info on the MP 50' express cars in the 353xxx
series. The cars have a fishbelly underframe. I need info on
the underframe and brake rigging. Any help would be appriciated.
Bill

I looked in RP Cyc #6 hoping to find the answer, but now I think
I know less than before. There is one 'builder' photo in the book
of an MP 50' express box, but the article mentions another series
of cars as well. And the photo that I have of the renumbered car
(353xxx series) does not entirely resemble the car in the book..
Would anyone have built NEW cars around 1940 with fishbelly center
sills?

Tim O'Connor
curiouser and curiouser...

proto48er

--- In STMFC@..., "Bill Vaughn" <atsfmodlr@...> wrote:

I'm looking for info on the MP 50' express cars in the 353xxx
series.
The cars have a fishbelly underframe. I need info on the underframe
and brake rigging. Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks
Bill Vaughn
Bill - What do you need, and is it for a particular commercial project?

A. T. Kott

Ed Hawkins

Bill and Tim,
The reason why the 353xxx series isn't mentioned in RP CYC is because
they were 1966 renumberings. Here's the scoop as best as I can explain
it. The story gets a bit complicated and to answer Bill Vaughn's
original question, I must venture into the 1960s even though part of
the history is out of scope for the STMFC.

A total of 100 50' auto cars were built by AC&F in Dec. 1941. At the
time of delivery they were all for freight service. There were three
series of cars, each having different interior arrangements
(86150-86174, lot no. 2319; 88300-88339, lot no. 2317; 88400-88434, lot
2318). All cars came with Youngstown Steel Doors, Ajax hand brakes, and
Apex running boards and brake steps. A builder's photo of 88434 appears
in an article I wrote in the May 1989 Model Railroading. After June
1949 and until circa 1960, repainted cars remaining in freight service
(50 total) received "Route of the Eagles" markings.

In Nov. 1942, 50 of the original freight cars were converted for
passenger express service with the addition of steam and signal lines,
Allied Full Cushion trucks, and painted Pullman Green with Dulux Gold
stencils. The cars converted for passenger express service were
86150-86174 (25 cars) and 88300-88324 (25 cars). The other 50 cars
remained in freight service. A photo of MP 86161 appears on page 12 of
RP CYC Vol. 8 at the time of the 1942 conversion. In 1946 some cars
received ASF A-3 Ride-Control trucks with Timken roller bearings (photo
on same page). In June 1950 other cars received BX trucks made by
General Steel Castings Co., illustrated by a photo of MP 86158 (Pullman
Green still being used) shown on page 23 of RP CYC Vol. 6.

Beginning on June 4, 1951, cars in passenger express service received
Eagle paint (blue and gray with yellow striping). As strange as it may
seem, it appears that MoPac never took a company photo of a freshly
painted express box car in Eagle paint. Photos of these cars appear in
trains, but individual photos of these cars have been very difficult to
locate.

The 86150-86174 passenger express cars were renumbered to 4300-4324 in
Dec. 1958. These 25 cars were again renumbered to 88300-88324 in 1962
after conversion back to freight service. The original 88300-88324 cars
were renumbered in Dec. 1958 to 4325-4349. These 25 cars were again
renumbered to 88340-88364 in 1962 after conversion back to XM.

The 15 cars in original series 88325-88339 were never renumbered until
1966. Similarly, the 35 cars in original series 88400-88434 were never
renumbered until 1966. In 1966 the 65 cars in series 88300-88364 were
renumbered to 353000-353064. Also in 1966, 32 remaining cars in series
88400-88434 were renumbered to 353065-353096. A lot of the cars in
Eagle paint were left that way even though the cars were placed back in
freight service.

Copies of AC&F drawings of these cars, including general arrangement,
brake arrangement, underframe and center sills, and several other
drawings of steel details are available from the AC&F collection at the
Museum of Transportation. Contact me OFF-LIST if you have interest in
purchasing any of them.

This is an important car that I continue to urge either Mr. Culotta or
Mr. Lofton to consider producing as a cast urethane kit. Modifying the
Life-Like P2K just doesn't cut it in my opinion.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins