USRA SS boxcars, and roofs

destron@...

I'd have a couple of questions on these. does anyone know...

...what roofs the Ann Arbor 73750-73998 series had (those of the series with
Hutchins ends, if not all had those)

...anything about the ACL 26007-26186 series and RF&P 2451-2800 series?
(doors? ends? roofs?)

...what roofs the CN&L 2500-2524 series had?

And lastly: is there information (or best, photos) out there about the
Hutchins Dry Lading, Hutchins All-Steel and Chicago Common sense radial
roofs?

I guess another way to phrase my question is: is there a good source for a
relative newbie to North American railroading to learn about various roof,
end and door types? What I would like to do is make a table of the USRA
single-sheath boxcars, what ends, roofs and doors each road's cars had, to
help the modeler build models as accurately as possible... eventually I'd
like to do these for the 32, 37 and 44 AAR steel cars, too, but that's for
later...

Thanks,
Frank Valoczy

Richard Hendrickson

On Feb 13, 2007, at 7:10 AM, destron@vcn.bc.ca wrote:

I'd have a couple of questions on these. does anyone know...

...what roofs the Ann Arbor 73750-73998 series had (those of the series with
Hutchins ends, if not all had those)
I have four photos of these cars, and all show Hutchins ends and Hutchins Dry Lading roofs.

.... is there information (or best, photos) out there about the
Hutchins Dry Lading, Hutchins All-Steel and Chicago Common sense radial
roofs?
As someone else has already pointed out, the best sources at present are the 1920s Car Builders' Cyclopedias (which isn't much help if you don't have access to them).

.... What I would like to do is make a table of the USRA
single-sheath boxcars, what ends, roofs and doors each road's cars had, to
help the modeler build models as accurately as possible...
All of the single sheathed box cars built for the USRA had Murphy flexible metal XLA roofs, though these were sometimes replaced with all steel roofs of various types in later years. Some of the postwar USRA clones ordered by individual railroads (e.g., Wabash) had other roofs, of course. Doors and ends were also the same on all USRA cars though, again, steel doors sometimes replaced the original wood doors after the cars had been in service for a long time. Don't confuse the many single sheathed box cars built to other designs during the 1920s with USRA cars, e.g. the Ann Arbor 73750 series noted above; though a lot of them bore a superficial resemblance to USRA cars, they were in fact quite different.

Richard Hendrickson

destron@...

All of the single sheathed box cars built for the USRA had Murphy
flexible metal XLA roofs, though these were sometimes replaced with all
steel roofs of various types in later years. Some of the postwar USRA
clones ordered by individual railroads (e.g., Wabash) had other roofs,
of course. Doors and ends were also the same on all USRA cars though,
again, steel doors sometimes replaced the original wood doors after the
cars had been in service for a long time. Don't confuse the many
single sheathed box cars built to other designs during the 1920s with
USRA cars, e.g. the Ann Arbor 73750 series noted above; though a lot of
them bore a superficial resemblance to USRA cars, they were in fact
quite different.
Ah, yes. I've actually noticed this, but i was rather unclear with my
intent. What I meant is, a list of 9-panel Howe Truss cars. Since these
are superficially quite similar to each other, I figured a list which
included the USRA cars could be useful from a modelling point of view. For
now I don't want to concern myself with other truss and panel
arrangements, just the 9-panel Howe...

Regards, Frank