Chrysler Trucks (was New P2K 50' Boxcars in SP...)

thetrainman00@...

Hi Shawn;

Please forgive this eastern modeler for asking but what exactly is the
difference in the Chrysler truck and a standard truck?

Happy Model Railroading,
Jim Krapf
Modeling the CNJ, L&S Div 60s & 70s

Shawn Beckert

Richard wrote:

In some cases, as has been previously discussed on this list,
there are some minor detail discrepancies between the models
and the prototypes. Aside from that, the P/L schemes are all
accurate and well documented, though the time period for which
they are correct varies; both the NYC and P&LE models are in
post-1959 green/black and the Burlington car is in post-1958
Chinese red, while the SP, GTW, and SSW models represent
late '40s/early '50s P/L.
Richard, wasn't the P2K kit actually based on a Burlington car, but
without the Chrysler trucks (which no model manufacturer makes)?

Which leads to the question: Given the number of CB&Q modelers
out there, why *hasn't* anyone produced a Chrysler truck in HO?

Shawn Beckert

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Shawn,

We WP fans also need Chrysler trucks for the PS-1 compartmentizer boxcars, series 19501-19520.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Beckert, Shawn wrote:

Richard, wasn't the P2K kit actually based on a Burlington car, but
without the Chrysler trucks (which no model manufacturer makes)?

Which leads to the question: Given the number of CB&Q modelers
out there, why *hasn't* anyone produced a Chrysler truck in HO?

Shawn Beckert

Andy Carlson

I think that a rather simple kitbash of Details West shock absorbers applied to a modified Tahoe Model Works Dalman truck could give a decent representation of the Chrysler truck. I believe that a Chrysler truck is on display under a freight car in Portola, CA at the feather River Rail Museum, sans the shock assembly. Brian Leppert thinks the differences are too great, but the salient features of the Chrysler trucks are the shocks, and the wide-open sub bolster area. The Dalman shares this somewhat.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Shawn Beckert

Jim Krapf asked:

Please forgive this eastern modeler for asking but what exactly
is the difference in the Chrysler truck and a standard truck?
Jim,

This is not a great photo (I'm searching for others), but look at the
truck sideframe. It has what amounts to a shock absorber or a
"snubber" mounted at the center of the truck.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cbq/cbq19825ckg.jpg

Viva la difference...

Shawn Beckert

Richard Hendrickson

On Feb 14, 2007, at 10:21 AM, Beckert, Shawn wrote:

Richard, wasn't the P2K kit actually based on a Burlington car, but
without the Chrysler trucks (which no model manufacturer makes)?
No.

Which leads to the question: Given the number of CB&Q modelers
out there, why *hasn't* anyone produced a Chrysler truck in HO?
The Q certainly wasn't the only RR to equip some cars with Chrysler trucks, and modeling them is a project that some manufacturer might well consider, now that many of the most common steam-era freight car trucks have been, or are in the process of being, made available. But while the Chrysler trucks certainly got beyond the experimental stage, they were never very widely adopted. Most model freight car fleets can be fully prototypical without having a single freight car rolling on Chrysler trucks. So I consider them desirable but not essential; other types of trucks (e.g., AAR 70 ton trucks with six-spring clusters) rank higher on my priority list.

Richard Hendrickson

Charlie Vlk

The Railway Prototype Cyclopedia - Vol. 4 has a Chapter "Freight Car Trucks".... on the lower righthand corner of page 47 there is a picture of the Chysler FR-5 and the text discussion of that truck starts on the same page.
The truck has a shock absorber snubber in front of two front springs and otherwise is a fairly normal truck. One could find a similar truck frame casting and add the details unique to the FR-5 rather easily, I imagine.
Charlie Vlk

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

A former USN 50' boxcar in the CSRM collection at Jamestown, CA rests on Chrysler trucks. Unfortunately, it is in storage and is not readily available to the casual visitor.

Denny
--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento

Russ Strodtz <sheridan@...>

Would guess that means it was not one of the cars built at Havelock.
They had ASF "Non-Unit" trucks, whatever that means.

Russ

A former USN 50' boxcar in the CSRM collection at Jamestown, CA
rests on Chrysler trucks. Unfortunately, it is in storage and is not
readily available to the casual visitor.

Denny
--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento

Rob & Bev Manley

I found a photo of the Chrysler trucks in Steve Hile's Rock Island color guide pp.23 under a converted Pullman Troop car. On pp 33 there is a 40ft6in Pressed Steel car in Pullman Green. Both images show the trucks quite clearly.
I also believe I have bought a b&w from Steve of the same trucks under a 40ft box. I would love to scan it but the photo is hiding and the scanner refuses to talk to Windows XP. Years ago there was an article on modeling these in RMJ (80's-90s).
Rob Manley