Fw: [STMFPH] old metal low side gon

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Don Worthy sent the following message to the STMFPH by mistake. :

Hey guys, I've found in a junk box a metal low side gon. I don't
remember where I got it. I beadblasted it and got several layers of
paint off. It looks to be a very nice car. It looks to have been a
(screw together)kit.
The only thing I've found on the bottom is: FG 101. It is possible that
the G is a S...but I don't think so.

It has 10 panel sides and 2 ribbed ends. It measures 41'6" striker face
to striker face.
The sides are 2'5 or 6" from floor to top of sides.
Would anyone have an idea who the maker is?
Or how old it maybe?
I'm hoping it will be close enough to be a Southern low-side gon. I've
got to get a look at the two resin kits out now.

Thanks for any help
Don Worthy
Ivey, Ga.

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Mike Brock wrote:
Don Worthy sent the following message to the STMFPH by mistake. :
Hey guys, I've found in a junk box a metal low side gon. I don't
remember where I got it. I beadblasted it and got several layers of
paint off. It looks to be a very nice car. It looks to have been a
(screw together)kit.
The only thing I've found on the bottom is: FG 101. It is possible that
the G is a S...but I don't think so.
This is the Roundhouse metal gon, dating roughly from the early 1950s. It was available in several roadnames, some of which weren't prototypical for the exact car. I think it is pretty close to the Southern car, but there are experts on this list who will know for sure.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Mike,

As others have stated, this is likely a Roundhouse car. Except for cast-on grabs, a slight clunkiness, and sometimes a poor fit of parts, it was one of the better kits in the 1950s. I have one I lettered with decals for Southern (also junk box salvage). Unfortunately, IIRC it has the wrong number of ribs for Southern. Photos of the Southern cars are found in the CBCs and Gregg Reprints, so you can probably check this.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Mike Brock wrote:

Don Worthy sent the following message to the STMFPH by mistake. :

Hey guys, I've found in a junk box a metal low side gon. I don't remember where I got it. I beadblasted it and got several layers of paint off. It looks to be a very nice car. It looks to have been a (screw together)kit.
The only thing I've found on the bottom is: FG 101. It is possible that the G is a S...but I don't think so.

It has 10 panel sides and 2 ribbed ends. It measures 41'6" striker face to striker face.
The sides are 2'5 or 6" from floor to top of sides.
Would anyone have an idea who the maker is?
Or how old it maybe?
I'm hoping it will be close enough to be a Southern low-side gon. I've got to get a look at the two resin kits out now.

Thanks for any help
Don Worthy
Ivey, Ga.

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

Don Worthy writes-

The only thing I've found on the bottom is: FG 101. It is possible that
the G is a S...but I don't think so.

It has 10 panel sides and 2 ribbed ends. It measures 41'6" striker face
to striker face.
The sides are 2'5 or 6" from floor to top of sides.
Would anyone have an idea who the maker is?
Or how old it maybe?

This is an MDC (Roundhouse) cast metal car produced between the approximate dates 1955-65. The model number was G-100. One of the cars in my roster is F/P and lettered for the Southern #56492.

Denny

--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento