Rib side box with 8' doors.

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

I have in my collection of "old things" a beautifully-built HO 1939-style 40' single door, long-ribbed, Milwaukee boxcar with 7'8" corrugated Youngstown-type doors (not the "postwar" pattern of the 6' doors). The ends are pretty accurately-detailed 4/4 with lumber door at the A end. The roof is essentially a standard panel, rather than the correct double panelled variety. The underside is fairly well detailed, but the arrangement of brake gear, cross bearers, etc., although logical and neat otherwise, is inaccurate for any of the rib side cars.

What is initially interesting about the model is that the sides, and roof are milled WOOD, as is the underbody. The ends and doors are unusually-fine thin white metal castings.

I have no idea who produced the model, much less who actually built it (very neat work). I suspect that it was Quality Craft (Weaver), although I think I can identify some Northeastern Scale wood shapes in places. The car shows well- as is- in amongst my other more accurate rib side cars, although the decal lettering is (incorrectly) that of the Milwaukee's predecessor SS boxcars,

The model looks quite distinctly that it was designed for the wide doors, and it further seems reasonable that no one would have gone to the trouble of designing and then producing such an esoteric prototype without a specific prototype in mind. In this regard: does anyone know if and when any of these earlier 40' single-doored cars were so altered with this style of wide doors, and if so, what were the numbers?

Conversely, does anyone know that in fact that none of them were actually so altered?

Denny
--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento

Ed Hawkins

On Mar 1, 2007, at 3:20 PM, Denny Anspach wrote:

<SNIP>
The model looks quite distinctly that it was designed for the wide
doors, and it further seems reasonable that no one would have gone to
the trouble of designing and then producing such an esoteric
prototype without a specific prototype in mind. In this regard: does
anyone know if and when any of these earlier 40' single-doored cars
were so altered with this style of wide doors, and if so, what were
the numbers?

Conversely, does anyone know that in fact that none of them were
actually so altered?
Denny,
Recall Pat Wider's 75-page article on Milwaukee's 40' rib-side box cars
in RP CYC Vol. 13. If the model has 4/4 ends, then it couldn't have
been built circa 1939 with the inside height that all rib-side cars
had. All of Milwaukee's early rib-side 40' box cars built from 1939 to
1944 had 5/5 Dreadnaught Ends. Later cars built 1945-1949 had 4/4
Improved Dreadnaught Ends. Based on your description, I believe your
model is without any prototype within the STMFC period. I suppose it's
possible that it could be a 1960s or later rebuild of some sort.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

After stating confidently that the HO model 40' long-rib side car that I held in my hot little hand had 4/4 ends, Ed Hawkins comments-

All of Milwaukee's early rib-side 40' box cars built from 1939 to
1944 had 5/5 Dreadnaught Ends.
Ed is of course correct, and although knowing better, I also cannot count :-[ . The ends of this wood ribside model boxcar indeed has 5/5 ends, not 4/4!

Now, the same question: Does anyone know whether or not this car replicates a real prototype?

Denny

--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento

Tim O'Connor

Denny, I don't know of any prewar Milwaukee ribside car rebuilt
with 8' doors. A limited number of the postwar cars were rebuilt
w/ 8' doors (and at least one was converted back to 6' later). The
Western Pacific bought exactly two postwar ribside cars in 1962
and rebuilt them with 9 foot doors for appliance service. (Note
I'm only talking about the 40' cars.) I have not seen any photos
of cars with replacement roofs.