Reefer Round-up

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

Over the past year or so I've been buying car kits with the eventual goal of populating my future (and frequently changing) layout. Now that I've got the track plan down pretty well I find I've got about twice as many cars as I need and a good number that are incorrectly marked or just bad models. I've been able to sort through the general freight cars pretty well but the refrigerators are a much tougher nut to crack. With your help I'd like to cull the reefers as well. So, what can the following kits best be used to model, or close with some work? (What I think I know about them is parentheses. . .)

Red Caboose 44xx (PFE R-30-12-9; others?)

Intermountain 405x (PFE R-40-23, but can be made into an MDT 9000 with ends from Athearn 40 ft steel reefer and some tweaking; others?)

MDC 31xx "36 ft Meat Reefer" (CRLX 5701-5850 or 5901-6100 with detailing)

Athearn 50xx "40 ft Steel Reefer" (PFE R-40-23, but can be made into an MDT 9000 with some tweaking; others?)

Tyco wood side reefer (PFE R-30-18)

Walthers 25xx "40 ft meat reefer" (GATC horizontal sheathed; various lessees with new sills, doors, ends, roof?)

Industrial Rail wood reefer (ex-Life-Like?, ex-Varney?, metal roof)

Thanks,
KL

Tim O'Connor

Kurt wrote

Red Caboose 44xx (PFE R-30-12-9; others?)
The original Red Caboose tooling had issues, I think these were
400x, 410x, 420x kits. The revised body was 415x kits. The only
44xx kit I have is painted for NP -- this is a revised body but
is completely wrong for NP.

Intermountain 405x (PFE R-40-23, but can be made into an MDT
The R-40-23 is dead-on accurate for PFE and NP. For MDT I stick
with resin kits! The Athearn end by the way is the same -- you'll
need a resin MDT end from Stan Rydarowicz.

MDC 31xx "36 ft Meat Reefer" (CRLX 5701-5850 or 5901-6100)
You need to subscribe to the RPI web site! :-) (John Nehrich has
identified some similar prototypes.)

Athearn 50xx "40 ft Steel Reefer" (PFE R-40-23, but can be made
into an MDT 9000 with some tweaking; others?)
"Tyco Toss"

Tyco wood side reefer (PFE R-30-18)
Ditto, naturally.

Walthers 25xx "40 ft meat reefer" (GATC horizontal sheathed; various
lessees with new sills, doors, ends, roof?)
Walthers did two different versions of the ends for this car. One is
correct for the Milwaukee lease cars. I think the other is correct for
some meat reefers (e.g. Armour). Sunshine did the Milwaukee car.

Tim O'Connor

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

Intermountain 405x (PFE R-40-23, but can be made into an MDT
The R-40-23 is dead-on accurate for PFE and NP. For MDT I stick
with resin kits! The Athearn end by the way is the same -- you'll
need a resin MDT end from Stan Rydarowicz.

KL> I was wondering about this. I have a MM 5/02 article by Roger Hinman where he shows four different ends applicable to what he calls "M6" cars or those built between 1947 and 1958. Also, in the archives I found this:

"Richard [Hendrickson] wrote: "The main problem in using IM's R-40-23 model to represent an MDT 9000 series cars is that the ends are wrong. Other minor details need modification as well, but it's a relatively easy kitbash, leaving the factory lettering on the sides intact. The MDT cars had 3/4 improved Dreadnaught ends, not the 3/3 ends on the model (which are, of course, correct for the PFE R-40-23s). I got a pair of replacement ends by cutting them off an old Athearn reefer roof and carving and filing off the ladders, grabs, and other molded-on junk. Turned out to be a lot easier than it looked, as was taking the ends off the Intermountain car."

In the kits I have the IM models have 3/3 IDEs while the Atherns are 3/4 IDE. As a side note, I picked up two undec IM kits for $11.50. Eac had a set of Details West 4/4 Sq DEs, a set of Champ ART decals, and a set of Grandt Line reefer details. What do you think the original owner was trying to create?

Why type of ends does Stan sell? What's his address?

MDC 31xx "36 ft Meat Reefer" (CRLX 5701-5850 or 5901-6100)
You need to subscribe to the RPI web site! :-) (John Nehrich has
identified some similar prototypes.)

KL> I do, but honestly some othe stuff is old, a lot of the photos don't come up, and there are some errors, such as saying the Tyco car is "is actually pretty close to the PFE's R-40-10" when it should be -18, -19, and -21. It's hard to pick out just which prototypes go well with a particular kit from the site. I actually found his MR article to be a better starting point. I picked the Cudahy cars because that's what Richard Hendrickson modeled in his RMC article (one of the few authors that I assume to be prima facie correct).

Athearn 50xx "40 ft Steel Reefer" (PFE R-40-23, but can be made
into an MDT 9000 with some tweaking; others?)
"Tyco Toss"

KL> Yeah, maybe.

Tyco wood side reefer (PFE R-30-18)
Ditto, naturally.

KL> Oh come on, it looks like fun!

Walthers 25xx "40 ft meat reefer" (GATC horizontal sheathed; various
lessees with new sills, doors, ends, roof?)
Walthers did two different versions of the ends for this car. One is
correct for the Milwaukee lease cars. I think the other is correct for
some meat reefers (e.g. Armour). Sunshine did the Milwaukee car.

KL> I think I have the earlier release as described by Nehrich and would like to do a PCX/TRAX car if anything. This will require a diagonal roof, I think, in addition to other stuff.

Thanks,
KL

David Ball

Stan Rydarowicz did an article on kitbashing the IM R-40-23's into MDT
reefers in the May 99 Railmodel Journal. I don't have it hand, but from
memory it covered the ends, and it had his address as well to buy them if
wanted.

There was some good reason why he cast the kitbashed ends, although I can't
remember if it was because they require so much work that he'd rather cast
them than kit bash more, of if he was just planning on doing enough it was
worth his effort.

Cheers

David Ball

_____

> [...]

Hendrickson modeled in his RMC article (one of the few authors that I assume

to be prima facie correct).

Athearn 50xx "40 ft Steel Reefer" (PFE R-40-23, but can be made
into an MDT 9000 with some tweaking; others?)
"Tyco Toss"

KL> Yeah, maybe.

Tyco wood side reefer (PFE R-30-18)
Ditto, naturally.

KL> Oh come on, it looks like fun!

Walthers 25xx "40 ft meat reefer" (GATC horizontal sheathed; various
lessees with new sills, doors, ends, roof?)
Walthers did two different versions of the ends for this car. One is
correct for the Milwaukee lease cars. I think the other is correct for
some meat reefers (e.g. Armour). Sunshine did the Milwaukee car.

KL> I think I have the earlier release as described by Nehrich and would
like to do a PCX/TRAX car if anything. This will require a diagonal roof, I

8:12 a.m.

8:12 a.m.

Barry Roth

There's a conversion article in 9/1992 RMS by R. Smaus about turning these Tycos into R-30-21s. Two versions -- the "simple version" basically just adds decent trucks and hardware and leaves the Tyco roof, with its dippy little hatches, in place: stand-ins at best, although his examples are very nicely weathered. (The author admits as much; the point was to flesh out his PFE fleet at the time.) The "superdetailed" version adds new roof, ends, underframe; about all that survives of the Tyco car is the sides, and those have been planed down to remove the cast-on grabs and ladders. Since pretty good -18s and -21s are available off the shelf, you'd have to want to do this conversion for the fun of it, not because the class was otherwise hard to get ahold of.

Barry