New version of digital ORER is available

laramielarry <ostresh@...>

Hi Folks

I revised the Excel version of the July 1950 ORER and uploaded it to
the STEFA files.

The name of the file name is: ORER_7_1950_Box_Auto V2.xls
Its description is: ORER, July, 1950, Box and Auto car records for US
railroads

This version corrects a few errors that were in version 1. It also
adds the DS/SS/Steel data that many of you contributed last month.
In addition, several records were removed because the cars were not
in interchange service in July 1950 or because the railroads were
Canadian, not U.S.

As with version 1, not all of the ORER data were transcribed, but the
following are included:

Railroad abbreviation;
Starting and ending series number;
A.A.R. mechanical designation;
Abbreviated car description;
IL, IW, IH, and side door width in feet and inches;
Nominal capacity in pounds;
Number of cars.

Only A.A.R. type X and V (occasionally B & L) are included, and
only for cars owned by U.S. railroads and in interchange service.
The total number of cars is 714,637 in 2,766 records.

I also collated data from several files formerly or currently posted
on the STMFC site: Specifically, information about the type of car
(DS, SS, type of steel car - 1923 ARA, 1932 ARA, 1937 ARA, PS1, etc.)
was added to each record.

Mike Brock has kindly allowed me to post this file on the Steam Era
Freight Car Analysis (STEFA) site. To access the file, you will
first need to become a member of the group:

Post message: STEFA@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: STEFA-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

STEFA's home page is:

Best wishes,
Larry Ostresh
Laramie, Wyoming

Rob Kirkham <rdkirkham@...>

Hi Larry,

I wonder if you'd be able to post a version that includes the Canadian content?

Rob Kirkham

laramielarry <ostresh@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Rob Kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:
I wonder if you'd be able to post a version that includes the
Canadian
content?

Rob Kirkham
It's just two records from the Algoma Central and one from CASO, Bob -
not worth posting a whole different file. I'll be happy to send these
records to you if you want.

Larry Ostresh
Laramie, Wyoming

Paul Hillman

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "laramielarry" <ostresh@...> wrote:

The name of the file name is: ORER_7_1950_Box_Auto V2.xls
Larry,

My computer won't open the file. It says, "not a valid Win32
application." I try to open in with Quattro(R) Pro 12, but it says the
above. My computer is a one year old Dell, with XP.

Sorry if this is OT, but maybe others are having this problem too.

Thanks, Paul Hillman

Tim O'Connor

Paul

I just set up my new Dell XP PC a few days ago, and it opened
right up for me - with Excel.

The name of the file name is: ORER_7_1950_Box_Auto V2.xls
Larry,
My computer won't open the file. It says, "not a valid Win32
application." I try to open in with Quattro(R) Pro 12, but it says the
above. My computer is a one year old Dell, with XP.
Sorry if this is OT, but maybe others are having this problem too.
Thanks, Paul Hillman

Larry Kline

Larry Ostresh wrote:
I revised the Excel version of the July 1950 ORER and uploaded it to
the STEFA files.
and Paul Hillman replied:
My computer won't open the file.

Larry, Thanks very much to you and all who contributed to making this
info available and complete.

Paul, The file opens for me in Excel for Mac 2001 on a Mac running OS X
10.3.9 and in Excel 97 on a PC running Windows Me.

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh, PA

laramielarry <ostresh@...>

Hi Paul

Did you download and save it and then try to open it? If not, try
that. Also: Rather than QuatroPro, you might try opening it using the
MS Works spreadsheet that comes free with Windows (at least I think it
comes free). If you (or anyone else) continues to have problems, I can
email you the file.

Best wishes,
Larry Ostresh
Laramie, Wyoming

jerryglow2

Works will not open multiple pages (tabs?) and trashes some of the
formulas. I have Excel for only a trial period but have installed open
office (a free office suite from openoffice.org) that opens it just
fine.

Jerry Glow