C&EI 1912 Gondola

Paul Hillman

In the May 1959 issue of MR there is an article about building a C&EI
41'-6" gondola. This car was shown built on a recent P:48 group.

The article states that the cars were built in 1912 & 1913 by
American Car and Foundry, as composite types, steel & wood. In 1959
the C&EI still had 300 in use.

It states that in 1927 the wood in the sides was replaced with steel
and in 1955-56 the cars had wood floors installed.

Also it says that the cars had both/either braced flat steel ends or
dreadnaught.

These dates are not really clear about the facts.

Questions:
1-Is there a kit similar to these cars?
2-Did none of the cars have wood sides/ends after 1927?
3-Did the cars have only steel floors before 1955?
4-Were dreadnaught ends added when converted to steel sides?

I would like to build this car with wood sides and ends & with braced
steel ends. But did that type construction exist in 1947?

Thanks, Paul Hillman

ihb080u4a

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Paul & Bernice Hillman"
<chris_hillman@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Paul, The Feb. 1977 issue of Model Railroader has plans for a
C&EI GS drop bottom gon #93000,said to be from the 92000-95000
series. Overall,the plans seem to match the dimensions of your car
in question,with 8 panel composite sides and composite end, Blt. 7-
25, with a reweigh date of 7-55. Hopefully someone has a source for
an in-service photo. As far as modeling this car I've considered
kitbashing the Westerfield 2500 series Milwaukee Road composite gon,
and/or the Red Caboose GS steel or composite gon. Hope this is
helpful and will spark some more contributions. Mike Zwicke

ihb080u4a

After looking at the Westerfield 8500 series Caswell gon kit, I would
say this car(or perhaps the upcoming Intermountain car) with ends from
the Westerfield MILW 2500 series gon is the way to go. The caswell gon
has the channel ribs in the came orientation as the C&EI gon. Also, I
would guess the cars received the wood floors after conversion from
drop-bottom cars. The car in the photo you mentioned has that high
riding, used-to-be a drop gon look, and the C&EI was all about movin'
coal. Mike Zwicke