Bob Liljestrand's ear

SUVCWORR@...

In a message dated 3/15/2007 1:25:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
timboconnor@comcast.net writes:

This is how rumors get started -- are you saying Bob is insane??

Anyway, I'll bet if Bob offered a free copy of each print to anyone who
would go through the entire collection and catalogue it, put that into a
spreadsheet or PDF, and post it on the internet, that he'd have no
shortage of volunteers...

Tim "where do I sign up?" O'Connor

I'd do it for a copy of all his PRR photos.

Rich Orr

ed_mines

Anyone on the group have Bob Liljestrand's ear?

Is Bob warming up to selling prints from a list?

His business model is different than almost everyone else selling
prints. He has them made up in multiples by a semiautomatic process
which is much less labor intensive. One operator can make 100s of
prints in an hour.

Bob's big expense is traveling to and from shows. I think he drives
from Connecticut to Naperville, IL every year.

From this list I've learned that Bob usually has negatives he
recently acquired printed up to fill up his books as the pages become
empty. He could have someone local to him (like a computer saavy high
school student) list the negatives on the internet and maybe someone
else (like a housewife) pick the orders. They might even put a
candidate list on the internet and take orders from that. I think
overall Bob would sell more prints.

I wonder how many on this list have bought 8X10s and how many would
buy more if they were easily made available?

Bob's negatives weren't well cataloged when I spoke to him on the
phone a couple of years ago; I'm just suggesting that he start this
with prints as he has makes them up.

Ed

Miller, Andrew S. <asmiller@...>

I did not know he lost it!

Does that make him the Vincent Van Gogh of rail photography? :-)

regards,

Andy Miller

Anyone on the group have Bob Liljestrand's ear?

Ed Hawkins

On Mar 15, 2007, at 11:20 AM, ed_mines wrote:

Anyone on the group have Bob Liljestrand's ear?

Is Bob warming up to selling prints from a list?
<SNIP>

Ed,
In short, the answers are yes and NO. The STMFC has put together a list
that is a composite of photos purchased by several people.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

destron@...

A question, then. How would one go about finding out what he does have
available, when one is on the other side of the continent?

Frank

Obvious Van Gogh references aside... Bob and I have discussed this many
times at various points and, unless the loss of his ear has caused him to
rethink his business plan, he has no intention of cataloging his prints.
He prefers to acquire collections and print them as time and finances
permit. Also, in some cases he either does not have the neg or for
whatever reason doesn't plan to reprint a shot once his supply runs out.

All of these factors mean that he has a constant turnover of prints that
(he feels) do not lend themselves to being listed in any form. He also
does not have the time and resources to go through and index everything,
and although I've gone through his display at numerous shows I'm sure that
I still have not seen all of his photos so it would be a herculean task
just for anybody, full or part time, to make an inventory.

In short, don't look for a catalog list from Bob anytime soon....

Bill Schneider

Anyone on the group have Bob Liljestrand's ear?

Is Bob warming up to selling prints from a list?

His business model is different than almost everyone else selling
prints. He has them made up in multiples by a semiautomatic process
which is much less labor intensive. One operator can make 100s of
prints in an hour.

Bob's big expense is traveling to and from shows. I think he drives
from Connecticut to Naperville, IL every year.

From this list I've learned that Bob usually has negatives he
recently acquired printed up to fill up his books as the pages become
empty. He could have someone local to him (like a computer saavy high
school student) list the negatives on the internet and maybe someone
else (like a housewife) pick the orders. They might even put a
candidate list on the internet and take orders from that. I think
overall Bob would sell more prints.

I wonder how many on this list have bought 8X10s and how many would
buy more if they were easily made available?

Bob's negatives weren't well cataloged when I spoke to him on the
phone a couple of years ago; I'm just suggesting that he start this
with prints as he has makes them up.

Ed

Yahoo! Groups Links

!DSPAM:1291,45f97bce25681048250051!

From: <branchline@sbcglobal.net>

branchline@...

[...]

From this list I've learned that Bob usually has negatives he
recently acquired printed up to fill up his books as the pages become
empty. He could have someone local to him (like a computer saavy high
school student) list the negatives on the internet and maybe someone
else (like a housewife) pick the orders. They might even put a
candidate list on the internet and take orders from that. I think
overall Bob would sell more prints.

I wonder how many on this list have bought 8X10s and how many would
buy more if they were easily made available?

Bob's negatives weren't well cataloged when I spoke to him on the
phone a couple of years ago; I'm just suggesting that he start this
with prints as he has makes them up.

Ed

Frank Greene

"ed_mines" <ed_mines@yahoo.com> wrote:
Is Bob warming up to selling prints from a list?

His business model is different than almost everyone else selling prints.

[Laugh along with me, now]... Here we go again with our unsolicited (and probably unwanted) consultations... It's like having a doctor randomly calling you during supper and telling you you need to see a doctor more often.

My impression of Bob after meeting and talking with him at several shows is his Business Model is simple: He does what he does the way he does because he enjoys it that way. He enjoys meeting and BS'ing with folks, and traveling to train shows is a means to that. Take him off the road and put him in an office answering the phone, emails, snail mail, etc. all day long and he would lose interest quickly. It's not what they teach at Harvard or Wharton or at GSU, and you probably don't want to emulate it in your 9 to 5 drudge job, but, in my opinion, it's the way that works for Bob.

Frank Greene
Memphis, TN

branchline@...

Well Tim, you've met Bob.... ;>)

As for signing up - his number is on teh back of every print.

Bill

From: <branchline@sbcglobal.net>
> Obvious Van Gogh references aside...

This is how rumors get started -- are you saying Bob is insane??

Anyway, I'll bet if Bob offered a free copy of each print to anyone who
would go through the entire collection and catalogue it, put that into a
spreadsheet or PDF, and post it on the internet, that he'd have no
shortage of volunteers...

Tim "where do I sign up?" O'Connor

branchline@...

Of course that is the big issue. There is the list Ed mentioned which, while not by any means complete, would be a start. Beyond that you could contact Bob with a wish list or a list of roads you're interested in and see where that leads...

Bill

A question, then. How would one go about finding out what he does have
available, when one is on the other side of the continent?

Frank

Obvious Van Gogh references aside... Bob and I have discussed this many
> times at various points and, unless the loss of his ear has caused him to
> rethink his business plan, he has no intention of cataloging his prints.
> He prefers to acquire collections and print them as time and finances
> permit. Also, in some cases he either does not have the neg or for
> whatever reason doesn't plan to reprint a shot once his supply runs out.
>
> All of these factors mean that he has a constant turnover of prints that
> (he feels) do not lend themselves to being listed in any form. He also
> does not have the time and resources to go through and index everything,
> and although I've gone through his display at numerous shows I'm sure that
> I still have not seen all of his photos so it would be a herculean task
> just for anybody, full or part time, to make an inventory.
>
> In short, don't look for a catalog list from Bob anytime soon....
>
> Bill Schneider
>

> Anyone on the group have Bob Liljestrand's ear?
>
> Is Bob warming up to selling prints from a list?
>
> His business model is different than almost everyone else selling
> prints. He has them made up in multiples by a semiautomatic process
> which is much less labor intensive. One operator can make 100s of
> prints in an hour.
>
> Bob's big expense is traveling to and from shows. I think he drives
> from Connecticut to Naperville, IL every year.
>
> From this list I've learned that Bob usually has negatives he
> recently acquired printed up to fill up his books as the pages become
> empty. He could have someone local to him (like a computer saavy high
> school student) list the negatives on the internet and maybe someone
> else (like a housewife) pick the orders. They might even put a
> candidate list on the internet and take orders from that. I think
> overall Bob would sell more prints.
>
> I wonder how many on this list have bought 8X10s and how many would
> buy more if they were easily made available?
>
> Bob's negatives weren't well cataloged when I spoke to him on the
> phone a couple of years ago; I'm just suggesting that he start this
> with prints as he has makes them up.
>
> Ed
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links
>

> !DSPAM:1291,45f97bce25681048250051!

Tim O'Connor

Seriously, Bob has never catalogued his stuff -- so even though the list
of photos Ed compiled is interesting, it is not as useful as you might think.
You go to Bob's booth at Springfield and say

"I am looking for XYZ #1234 which I hear that you've got"

and someone says "The XYZ photos are here... and here... and some are
in here... and there are some over there... and we've run out of some, and
we have new ones here and there..."

So generally given the time constraints at train shows & meets, I just go
at it more or less randomly and hope for the best! I have found a lot of good
photos this way, and I'm sure I've missed out on many more.

From: <branchline@sbcglobal.net>
Well Tim, you've met Bob.... ;>)

As for signing up - his number is on teh back of every print.

Bill

destron@...

You go to Bob's booth at Springfield and say
Unfortunately, that isn't very feasible for some of us.

I will write him a letter listing what I'm interested in, and hope for the
best...

Frank

Bruce Smith

On Mar 15, 2007, at 2:32 PM, destron@vcn.bc.ca wrote:

You go to Bob's booth at Springfield and say
Unfortunately, that isn't very feasible for some of us.

I will write him a letter listing what I'm interested in, and hope for the
best...

Frank
Frank,

Bob will not send photos to you "on approval". Bob has had problems with folks ripping him off. As with all things in Bob's business, if its a hassle, it isn't gonna happen <G>. Bob will send photos to folks he knows and trusts, but you have to establish that relationship first.

Here's a suggestion - If you can't go to Springfield how about Prototype Rails in Cocoa Beach next January? Bob will almost certainly be there, and at Naperville in October. If you write or call him and ask him to bring specific things he will try to oblige. In addition, several other photo vendors are at all of these meetings as well.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

destron@...

Bruce,

Bob will not send photos to you "on approval". Bob has had problems
with folks ripping him off. As with all things in Bob's business, if
its a hassle, it isn't gonna happen <G>. Bob will send photos to
folks he knows and trusts, but you have to establish that
relationship first.
That's perfectly understandable, which is why I'd be happy to buy them
sight unseen, if he'd be willing and/or able to provide a list of Piedmont
& Northern photos he might have.

Here's a suggestion - If you can't go to Springfield how about
Prototype Rails in Cocoa Beach next January? Bob will almost
certainly be there, and at Naperville in October. If you write or
call him and ask him to bring specific things he will try to oblige.
In addition, several other photo vendors are at all of these meetings
as well.
Cocoa Beach is in Florida? Next January might be a possibility, though
it's a ways off yet. I live in British Columbia, and manage to go back
east maybe once a year (this year being an exceptional case, made a short
trip in January, and heading to SC in June). Where is Naperville?

It can get to be a difficult thing, sometimes, modeling a Carolina
railroad, while living on the Wet Coast. :)

Frank

Paul Lyons

Bill,
I find this tread somewhat interesting in that I bought a list of Bob's Photos from Bob himself at Cocco Beach this year. At the time of purchase he explained that it was no where complete , but it was a start. I thanked him and encouraged him to continue the effort as there was a large demand for it.

Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA

[...]

From this list I've learned that Bob usually has negatives he

jaley <jaley@...>

On Mar 15, 12:12pm, destron@vcn.bc.ca wrote:
Here's a suggestion - If you can't go to Springfield how about
Prototype Rails in Cocoa Beach next January? Bob will almost
certainly be there, and at Naperville in October.
Cocoa Beach is in Florida? Next January might be a possibility, though
it's a ways off yet. I live in British Columbia, and manage to go back
east maybe once a year (this year being an exceptional case, made a
short
trip in January, and heading to SC in June).
I have to caution you: Cocoa Beach in January can have horrible weather:
mid- to upper-70's, or even low 80's, and no clouds to shield you from the
sun.

Regards,

-Jeff Aley
Clinic Chairman, Prototype Rails 2008

P.S. Naperville is in the Chicago area.

--
Jeff Aley jaley@pcocd2.intel.com
DPG Chipsets Product Engineering

Ed Hawkins

On Mar 15, 2007, at 6:12 PM, cobrapsl@aol.com wrote:

Bill,
I find this tread somewhat interesting in that I bought a list of
Bob's Photos from Bob himself at Cocco Beach this year. At the time of
purchase he explained that it was no where complete , but it was a
start. I thanked him and encouraged him to continue the effort as
there was a large demand for it.

Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA
Paul,
Bob called me about a week before the Cocoa Beach meet and asked if I
would send him a copy of my Excel photo listing that I compiled from
photos that either Pat Wider or I bought over the past 6 years. Are the
first two items on your list identify an unnumbered milk car for
Sheffield Farms and a flat car with unknown reporting marks with number
123200? If so, that's the list I provided Bob.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

golden1014

Frank,

Bob is a very helpful man. If you want a certain print, call or
write and let him know what you want, with the exact details. When
he gets the time he'll let you know what he's got. Don't expect
refunds if you get the wrong item, however--he's been burned a lot
from guys buying photos, scanning the, and then demanding a full
refund on returns.

John Golden
O'Fallon, IL

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, destron@... wrote:

[...]

From this list I've learned that Bob usually has negatives he
[...]

Rob Kirkham <rdkirkham@...>

Actually, we British Columbian's can manage that horrible Florida weather quite well - I just stayed inside going to clinics all day and only went out to enjoy the local restaurants after dark. Not sure how my wife and daughter's managed to not be fried to a crisp in that heat, but I suspect the hotel pool, the gentle surf at the beach, beach umbrellas and a little sunscreen were enough....

Rob Kirkham
looking forward to making it back to Prototype Rails at Cocoa Beach in a couple of years.....

[...]

Well, my mom being a Nevadan, I was more or less made to be a desert rat.
I love hot weather (hotter the better), so long as it isn't stupidly
humid...

Rob, will you be going to the Bellingham show (or to Cameron this Sunday?)

Frank, leaving this as his last on this subject, lest we go too far
off-topic. :)

[...]

!DSPAM:1291,45fa1e9325683949179861!