From: Jim & Lisa Hayes <jimandlisa97225@...>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 12:22:34 -0700
To: <STMFC@...>
Subject: [STMFC] ART reefer replacement parts

Yesterday I received a package from Intermountain containing replacement
parts for the Amarillo / MPHS ART reefer kit. Jerry, I want to thank you and
everyone else involved for working with and nagging Intermountain to do it
right. Now I need to search thru the archives to remember which parts on the
two sprues I received are the ones to use.

Jim Hayes

Portland Oregon

Barry Roth

Then, do the Amarillo/MPHS ART reefer kits now being sold need replacement parts, or are the ones I would receive now complete and in good shape? How about the built-up version? Thanks ...

Barry Roth

Jim & Lisa Hayes <jimandlisa97225@...> wrote:
Yesterday I received a package from Intermountain containing replacement
parts for the Amarillo / MPHS ART reefer kit. Jerry, I want to thank you and
everyone else involved for working with and nagging Intermountain to do it
right. Now I need to search thru the archives to remember which parts on the
two sprues I received are the ones to use.

Jim Hayes

Portland Oregon

.

---------------------------------
Finding fabulous fares is fun.

Ed Hawkins

On Mar 18, 2007, at 12:43 PM, Barry Roth wrote:

Then, do the Amarillo/MPHS ART reefer kits now being sold need
replacement parts, or are the ones I would receive now complete and in
good shape? How about the built-up version? Thanks ...

Barry Roth
Barry,
The replacement parts apply only to ART kits. There are different
replacement parts involved depending on which kits you purchased. Those
buying from the first batch of kits (sold at a discount and having
incorrectly painted yellow side sills) are receiving two new identical
parts trees that replace the original that parts were molded out of
alignment. One parts tree is painted freight car red and the other is
painted yellow. InterMountain decided to provide one parts tree of each
color rather than trying to mask off the placards that are the only
parts that need to be yellow on this tree. Also you will note that
these replacement parts don't have the heavy coat of paint that the
original parts had. You will not have to use all the parts on both
parts trees, so those parts that are left can be used elsewhere. The
extra Universal XL hand brake should easily be put to good use.

For those who received kits from the second batch with correctly
painted side sills (all black except the small corner notches that
protrude into the sides), you will also receive a parts tree containing
the correct set of side ladders. The original kits had the wrong
ladders, which had six male pins on the back. The correct side ladders
have only four male pins (two at top and two at bottom).

I have uploaded a pdf that contains modified instructions for building
the ART kits. There were problems with the original instructions in the
first batch of kits as I understand InterMountain provided instructions
for the PFE R-40-23. More proper instructions are from the PFE R-40-10
kit, and I have made editorial changes to reflect various parts or
assemblies that are deviations for the ART models. There are also two
views of ART 24000 for reference. These instructions can be downloaded
by going to the RP CYC web site at the following link. For unknown
reasons, the Amarillo RR Museum has not able to update their site to
include these instructions, so I'm providing the link for expediency.

http://www.geocities.com/rpcyc/ART_Instructions.pdf

InterMountain is mailing out replacement parts at the rate of about 10
customers per day. It will take them two or three weeks to go through
the entire customer list, so please be patient if you haven't received
replacement parts yet. Please contact me OFF LIST if you have
questions.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins
ART Project Technical Advisor for the MPHS

pullmanboss <tgmadden@...>

Ed Hawkins:
I have uploaded a pdf that contains modified instructions for
building the ART kits. There were problems with the original
instructions in the first batch of kits as I understand
< InterMountain provided instructions for the PFE R-40-23. More
proper instructions are from the PFE R-40-10
kit, and I have made editorial changes to reflect various parts or
assemblies that are deviations for the ART models. There are also
two views of ART 24000 for reference. These instructions can be
downloaded by going to the RP CYC web site at the following link.

http://www.geocities.com/rpcyc/ART_Instructions.pdf
The link is unavailable right now because the data transfer limit
(presumably for today) has been reached. Fear not, because the
replacement part sprues that arrived yesterday included a set of R-
40-10 instructions, edited as Ed mentions. I assume they are the
same as the ones on the RP CYC web site.

Tom Madden