Hauling Grapes By Rail

Bob Chaparro <thecitrusbelt@...>

I found the image below on Calisphere
(http://www.calisphere.universityofcalifornia.edu/), a service of the
University of California Libraries. The caption reads: "Grapes are
loaded onto gondola railway cars at the Turlock, California, depot."
This was taken around 1905.

Does anyone know how common this practice was before trucks and good
roads were common in these rural farm areas?

Bob Chaparro
Mission Viejo/Hemet, CA

http://tinyurl.com/yp2qao

Peter J. McClosky <pmcclosky@...>

A promoters view:

http://www.sacramentohistory.org/admin/photo/984_1976.jpg

Peter J. McClosky
==

Bob Chaparro wrote:

I found the image below on Calisphere
(http://www.calisphere.universityofcalifornia.edu/
<http://www.calisphere.universityofcalifornia.edu/>), a service of the
University of California Libraries. The caption reads: "Grapes are
loaded onto gondola railway cars at the Turlock, California, depot."
This was taken around 1905.

Does anyone know how common this practice was before trucks and good
roads were common in these rural farm areas?

Bob Chaparro
Mission Viejo/Hemet, CA

http://tinyurl.com/yp2qao <http://tinyurl.com/yp2qao>

Peter J. McClosky
http://home.earthlink.net/~pmcclosky
pmcclosky@...

Miller, Andrew S. <asmiller@...>

Not only gondolas, but notice the hopper car, and what appears to be a
ventilated box car behind the wagon. Also note the wagoneer, protected
from the California sun by a parasol!

regards,

Andy Miller

University of California Libraries. The caption reads: "Grapes are
loaded onto gondola railway cars at the Turlock, California, depot."
This was taken around 1905.

Does anyone know how common this practice was before trucks and good
roads were common in these rural farm areas?

Bob Chaparro
Mission Viejo/Hemet, CA

http://tinyurl.com/yp2qao

Yahoo! Groups Links

Tim O'Connor

Weird! I wonder if this is how raisins were discovered?

From: "Bob Chaparro" <thecitrusbelt@...>
I found the image below on Calisphere
(http://www.calisphere.universityofcalifornia.edu/), a service of the
University of California Libraries. The caption reads: "Grapes are
loaded onto gondola railway cars at the Turlock, California, depot."
This was taken around 1905.

Does anyone know how common this practice was before trucks and good
roads were common in these rural farm areas?

Bob Chaparro
Mission Viejo/Hemet, CA

http://tinyurl.com/yp2qao

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Bob, Andy, et al.:

The /Central California Traction Company/ by David G. Stanley and Jeffrey J. Moreau has quite a lot of information about railroad haulage of grapes. This excellent book is available from Signature Press.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Bob Chaparro wrote:

I found the image below on Calisphere
(http://www.calisphere.universityofcalifornia.edu/), a service of the
University of California Libraries. The caption reads: "Grapes are
loaded onto gondola railway cars at the Turlock, California, depot."
This was taken around 1905.

Does anyone know how common this practice was before trucks and good
roads were common in these rural farm areas?
The whole URL, to save searching on the site, is:
http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/kt7779q91m/? query=Turlock%20grapes&brand=calisphere

If this folds onto two lines, remember to copy and past the two parts together in your browser.

This was often done on the way to the winery or juice plant. There are other photos in the Central Valley and even in Napa of such loading. There are some in the CCT book we published, and also in my SP Freight Cars, Vol. 3, p. 199. But they are usually pre-WW II or even before WW I, in my recollection, so I would say this is definitely an early practice.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Peter J. McClosky wrote:
A promoters view:

http://www.sacramentohistory.org/admin/photo/984_1976.jpg
These amusing postcards were common early in the 20th century. Note in this particular one that the car shown is one SP never owned (nor is the car number a gondola number on SP), ditto for the trucks, of which SP owned none. As for the size of the grapes depicted, well, California really IS a very productive agricultural state . . .

Publishers of books on railroad history

John Riba

Hello Group,

I live in Westlake,OH and at one time it was the
world's largest shipper of Concord grapes.[or so they
claim].They were shipped in refrigerator cars on the
NKP to the Welch's plant in North East, PA. I knew a
man who loaded them, so it would be before WWII. Now
most of the vineyards are gone,replaced with housing
for people who want to be in the country.
John F. Riba
--- Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>
wrote:

Peter J. McClosky wrote:
A promoters view:

http://www.sacramentohistory.org/admin/photo/984_1976.jpg

These amusing postcards were common early in
the 20th century.
Note in this particular one that the car shown is
one SP never owned
(nor is the car number a gondola number on SP),
ditto for the trucks,
of which SP owned none. As for the size of the
grapes depicted, well,
California really IS a very productive agricultural
state . . .

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press,
Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705
www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail,
thompson@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Steve SANDIFER

Several actual consists of express trains of grapes are listed at
http://atsfrr.net/resources/Internet/Consists/ExpSpec.htm

J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@...
Home: 12027 Mulholland Dr., Meadows Place, TX 77477, 281-568-9918
Office: Southwest Central Church of Christ, 4011 W. Bellfort, Houston, TX
77025, 713-667-9417
Personal: http://www.geocities.com/stevesandifer2000/index
Church: http://www.swcentral.org

wrote:

> Peter J. McClosky wrote:
> > A promoters view:

http://www.sacramentohistory.org/admin/photo/984_1976.jpg

> These amusing postcards were common early in
> the 20th century.
> Note in this particular one that the car shown is
> one SP never owned
> (nor is the car number a gondola number on SP),
> ditto for the trucks,
> of which SP owned none. As for the size of the
> grapes depicted, well,
> California really IS a very productive agricultural
> state . . .
>
> Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press,
> Berkeley, CA
> 2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705
> www.signaturepress.com
> (510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail,
> thompson@...
> Publishers of books on railroad history

Schuyler Larrabee

Weird!

Tim O'Connor
Not really. Tomatoes are carried today in open double-bottom trucks on I-5. The ones shaped like
the french fry containers you get in some fast food places, flat bottom with sloping sides. Some
don't make it to the cannery, and get smashed on the road.

SGL