C&EI "Magor" copies

asychis@...

In a message dated 3/20/2007 9:22:40 AM Central Daylight Time,
STMFC@yahoogroups.com writes:

I know that the MoPac had control/influence over the C&EI off & on,
or something, and took-over/absorbed the C&EI in the 1970's, or
something to that affect. I'd have to re-research. But, did the MoPac
involvement with the C&EI produce exact or similar versions of this
caboose as a result? If so, MoPac photos/data would also contribute
to this C&EI car's detail research.

My information indicates that the C&EI "Magor-type" cabooses were built in
1947 by ACF. They were numbered 1-6 and all retired by mid-1977. They were
assigned MoPac numbers 13952-13958, but it is doubtful these numbers were ever
applied. Therefore I don't think the MP had much influence in decisions about
what cabooses the C&EI purchased. The MoPac's Magor cabooses were built in
1937, their first steel cabooses, and numbered 910-934. This series of cabooses
were renumbered, and many lasted into the 1980s as local or yard/transfer
service. As an aside, the MoPac built 20 "copies" of the Magor cabooses
(1230-1259) at Sedalia in 1951 and 1953. The last of these were scrapped in 1986. The
book "Cabooses of the Missouri Pacific Lines" (available from the Missouri
Pacific Historical Society) covers the C&EI Magor copies and MoPac Magor and Magor
copies in depth.

A note on MP caboose renumbering. The original 3-4 digit numbers were
replaced with 5-digit numbers in the 1970s. The MP used 13000 for cabooses in road
service, 12000 for cabooses in local service and 11000 for cabooses in yard or
transfer service. Therefore, as a caboose was downgraded over the years the
idea was to just change the second digit in the number to denote the service
change. This seems to have worked quite well although there were a few
glitches and there are company memos mentioning that some cabooses carried the same
number and needed to be changed. Once the cabooses were on their way out, and
the UP merger was going on, usage based on the numbering scheme was abandoned,
and you could see remnants of the caboose fleet in yard service still earing
13000 numbers.

Jerry Michels

Russ Strodtz <sheridan@...>

While it has nothing to do with waycars I thought the SLSF
was the road that had been involved with the C&EI for many
years.

Russ Strodtz

In a message dated 3/20/2007 9:22:40 AM Central Daylight Time,
STMFC@yahoogroups.com writes:

I know that the MoPac had control/influence over the C&EI off &
on,
or something, and took-over/absorbed the C&EI in the 1970's, or
something to that affect. I'd have to re-research. But, did the
MoPac
involvement with the C&EI produce exact or similar versions of
this
caboose as a result? If so, MoPac photos/data would also
contribute
to this C&EI car's detail research.

Paul Hillman

Jerry Michels,

Thanks for your info. I went to the MPHS and ordered their MP Caboose
book. Not cheap!,...but 400 pages of apparently deep-data.

It says it covers the MoPac & C&EI, and their other RR's in great
detail on the "Magor" type cabooses, and extensively all their RR's
other types.

Perhaps it will also reveal some info on another C&EI caboose that
I've been searching for,....a 4 window (per-side), wood, center-
coupola, truss-rod type. This type caboose seems to appear on pages
13 & 38, in Edward DeRouin's book, "C&EI RR In Color", but the CEIHS
has yet been unable to identify it. I used to see this type caboose
on the C&EI Clearing-freights in Chicago, in the early 1960's.

Thanks, Paul Hillman

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Russ Strodtz" <sheridan@...> wrote:

"While it has nothing to do with waycars, I thought the SLSF
was the road that had been involved with the C&EI for many
years."

Russ Strodtz
Russ,

According to Edward DeRouin's, "C&EI In Color", page 9;

"Frisco purchased C&EI on Oct. 1, 1902."

Then,........;

,...apparently in 1913,...."...Frisco dragged the C&EI into
bankruptcy and a court appointed receivership."

Then,........;

",...on May 27, 1913, the court placed Frisco and C&EI into separate
receiverships.

Then,........;

"On Dec. 13, 1920 the C&EI was reorganized."

After that time, I don't see the SLSF mentioned again as being
involved with the C&EI.

Thanks, Paul Hillman

Tony Thompson

Russ Strodtz wrote:
"While it has nothing to do with waycars, I thought the SLSF was the road that had been involved with the C&EI for many years."
Paul Hillman replied:
According to Edward DeRouin's, "C&EI In Color", page 9;
"Frisco purchased C&EI on Oct. 1, 1902."
,...apparently in 1913,...."...Frisco dragged the C&EI into bankruptcy and a court appointed receivership."
"On Dec. 13, 1920 the C&EI was reorganized."
After that time, I don't see the SLSF mentioned again as being
involved with the C&EI.
According to the Kalmbach "Historical Guide" book, that's all correct. In 1926 the Van Sweringens acquired control of C&EI but didn't do much with it. In 1940 the road was again reorganized and in 1959 began merger discussions with Missouri Pacific (with which it had enjoyed friendly relations for some time). Mopac acquired control in 1963 and merged the C&EI into itself in 1976.

Publishers of books on railroad history