U of Cal library

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@..., "Bob Chaparro" <thecitrusbelt@...>
provided a link to
(http://www.calisphere.universityofcalifornia.edu/), a service of the
University of California Libraries.

Has anyone gone through the many other photos? Any other freight car
photos?

Ed

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Has anyone gone through the many other photos? Any other freight car photos?
Yes, very many. They have a category called "Railroad" with over 1500 images (many emphasizing locomotives or depots), but many other categories include railroad views among others, both passenger and freight. I haven't tried searching by "freight cars," but I have the impression that the search engine just searches titles, i.e. there are no metadata tags, so I doubt it would help to search that way.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Dave Nelson <muskoka@...>

ed_mines wrote:
--- In STMFC@..., "Bob Chaparro" <thecitrusbelt@...>
provided a link to
(http://www.calisphere.universityofcalifornia.edu/), a service of the
University of California Libraries.

Has anyone gone through the many other photos? Any other freight car
photos?
Yes, I have and no, as I recall nothing online worth mentioning. OTOH if
you go to Berkeley and visit the Bancroft Library, be sure to check out the
contents of the Roy Graves collection. Almost 5000 rail oriented photos,
most of which are from central California, and at least some have to include
freight cars.

Dave Nelson

Jack Burgess <jack@...>

Dave wrote:
OTOH if you go to Berkeley and visit the Bancroft Library, be sure to
check out the contents of the Roy Graves collection. Almost 5000 rail
oriented photos,
most of which are from central California, and at least some have to
include
freight cars.
I haven't checked out any of the Graves photos except his Yosemite Valley
Railroad photos. There are 58 Graves photos of the YV of which about half
are locomotive photos. About a quarter are from the two fan trip excursions
in 1944 and 1945. The rest are stations, cabooses (2 shots) and one of a M
of W crane. There are also copies of some "historic" photos that show up in
a number of collections. There aren't any freight car photos in his YV
stuff. This is typical for collections of that period since a significant
portion of the rail photography hobby was trading negatives of locomotives.
There were exceptions for west coast railfans such as Paul Darrell (who was
considered "odd" <g>) since he liked freight cars. And, of course, W.C.
Whittaker was taking freight car photos. But, at least based on his YV
photos, Graves wasn't taking many freight car photos. Maybe Graves shot more
freight cars for the large carriers such as the SP and WP but most of this
collection, as I recall, was California short lines....

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com

Bob Chaparro <thecitrusbelt@...>

There are some additional railroad photos. Searches using the
terms "railroad", "santa fe", "southern pacific", "union
pacific", "freight", "station", etc will bring them out. I believe
there are 1,200 images attached to the term "railroad" and these
overlap the other terms. Many of the captions appear to be correct but
there are some errors as to places, dates and details that I recognized.

Bob Chaparro
Mission Viejo/Hemet

Bob Chaparro wrote:
There are some additional railroad photos. Searches using the terms "railroad", "santa fe", "southern pacific", "union pacific", "freight", "station", etc will bring them out.
I would say there are MANY additional railroad photos.

Many of the captions appear to be correct but there are some errors as to places, dates and details that I recognized.
Let them know, Bob. We should all share knowledge when it can help with something like this. Many photos also have no caption at all. If you know something about location or subject, let them know.

Publishers of books on railroad history