Ice Reefer Hatches

railsnw1 <railsnw@...>

While doing research on steel ice refrigerator car NP 91366 which is
at the Northwest Railway Museum I found the following info on this
car with dates from its visit to the NP ice dock in Seattle. Notice
the entry for October 2, 1962.

Richard Wilkens

Visits by Northern Pacific Refrigerator Car NP 91366
To Seattle Ice Dock 1960 – 1962

May 10, 1960 Re-ice with chunk ice, no salt

November 27, 1961 Install 1 heater, set for 57 ½ degrees for
bananas

December 31, 1961 Refuel heaters and set for 55 degrees for bananas

July 23, 1962 Re-ice with 500# ice each end for bananas

October 2, 1962 Reverse vents for bananas

December 17, 1962 Reverse heaters and set for 55 degrees for bananas

December 31, 1962 Install heaters for bananas

bill_d_goat

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "railsnw1" <railsnw@...> wrote:

While doing research on steel ice refrigerator car NP 91366 which
is
at the Northwest Railway Museum I found the following info on this
car with dates from its visit to the NP ice dock in Seattle. Notice
the entry for October 2, 1962.

Richard Wilkens

Visits by Northern Pacific Refrigerator Car NP 91366
To Seattle Ice Dock 1960 – 1962

May 10, 1960 Re-ice with chunk ice, no salt

November 27, 1961 Install 1 heater, set for 57 ½ degrees for
bananas

December 31, 1961 Refuel heaters and set for 55 degrees for bananas

July 23, 1962 Re-ice with 500# ice each end for bananas

October 2, 1962 Reverse vents for bananas

December 17, 1962 Reverse heaters and set for 55 degrees for
bananas

December 31, 1962 Install heaters for bananas
Does this mean that, at least in the '60's, banana ships came to
Seattle for eastward loading? I had always thought that bananas came
through Gulf Coast ports and went all over vis I.C. and G.M.& O..
Bill Williams

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Bill Williams wrote:
Does this mean that, at least in the '60's, banana ships came to
Seattle for eastward loading? I had always thought that bananas came
through Gulf Coast ports and went all over vis I.C. and G.M.& O..
Seattle was a significant banana port; so were San Francisco and Los Angeles on the west coast. They also came in for a time at Philadelphia.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Barry Roth

The "banana dock" was a fixture on the southern San Francisco waterfront. I remember seeing PFE reefers there marked "for banana loading only" -- but being young and carefree as well as cameraless I didn't take any notes at the time.

Barry Roth

Anthony Thompson <thompson@signaturepress.com> wrote:
Bill Williams wrote:
Does this mean that, at least in the '60's, banana ships came to
Seattle for eastward loading? I had always thought that bananas came
through Gulf Coast ports and went all over vis I.C. and G.M.& O..
Seattle was a significant banana port; so were San Francisco and
Los Angeles on the west coast. They also came in for a time at
Philadelphia.

.

---------------------------------
TV dinner still cooling?

armprem

And New Orleans? Armand Premo

>> Does this mean that, at least in the '60's, banana ships came to
>> Seattle for eastward loading? I had always thought that bananas came
>> through Gulf Coast ports and went all over vis I.C. and G.M.& O..
>
> Seattle was a significant banana port; so were San Francisco and
> Los Angeles on the west coast. They also came in for a time at
> Philadelphia.
>
> Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
> 2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
> (510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@signaturepress.com
> Publishers of books on railroad history
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links
>

> --

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Armand Premo wrote:
And New Orleans?
Armand, read the original post: the poster asked if all bananas came in through Gulf Coast ports. Last time I checked, New Orleans qualified as one of those.

Publishers of books on railroad history

armprem

Now how could I have missed that?Sorry 'bout that.Armand Premo

> Armand, read the original post: the poster asked if all bananas
> came in through Gulf Coast ports. Last time I checked, New Orleans
> qualified as one of those.
>
> Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
> 2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
> (510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@signaturepress.com
> Publishers of books on railroad history
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links
>

> --

Schuyler Larrabee

Seattle was a significant banana port; so were San Francisco and
Los Angeles on the west coast. They also came in for a time at
Philadelphia.

Tony Thompson Editor
Boston and New York, too.

SGL

David Powell <daveydiesel@...>

Dont forget New Orleans. LA. Dave Powell

Seattle was a significant banana port; so were San Francisco and
Los Angeles on the west coast. They also came in for a time at
Philadelphia.

Tony Thompson Editor
Boston and New York, too.

SGL

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Dave Powell wrote:
Don’t forget New Orleans. LA.
Dave, are you reading all the posts?

Publishers of books on railroad history

Frank Greene

"Anthony Thompson" <thompson@signaturepress.com> wrote:
Dave, are you reading all the posts?

Read? Who's got time to read? I've gotta' say somethin' or folks'll think I'm not paying attention!

Charleston, SC.

Frank Greene
Memphis, TN