C&EI Wood Cabooses

asychis@...

In a message dated 3/21/2007 8:40:47 AM Central Daylight Time,
STMFC@yahoogroups.com writes:

Perhaps it will also reveal some info on another C&EI caboose that
I've been searching for,....a 4 window (per-side), wood, center-
coupola, truss-rod type. This type caboose seems to appear on pages
13 & 38, in Edward DeRouin's book, "C&EI RR In Color", but the CEIHS
has yet been unable to identify it. I used to see this type caboose
on the C&EI Clearing-freights in Chicago, in the early 1960's.

Paul, the book does not cover C&EI wood cabooses in great detail. At least
in the text. The rosters are there for as many C&EI cabooses as I could find.
Do you have numbers for these wood cabooses you are interested in?

Jerry

Paul Hillman

Jerry Michels wrote:

"Do you have numbers for these wood cabooses you are interested in?"
Jerry,

I don't have any numbers, so far, other than what appear in Edward
DeRouin's book, "C&EI RR In Color".

On page 13, the number appears to be 338 or 339. On page 38, to me, it
is unreadable.

Thanks, Paul Hillman

asychis@...

Paul,

C&EI cabooses 320-339 were built by Mount Vernon Car Company, Mount Vernon,
IL, in 1913. Their dimensions were 29' 6" long, 8' 5" wide and 6' 3" high. 323
and 328 were sold to the Minneapolis Northfield and Southern in June 1951.
The rest were retired in the mid 1940s through the 1950s. 326 and 338 were the
last to go, sometime before 1/24/61. This information is in the caboose book
in the roster section. The information came from C&EI documents in the
Missouri Pacific records kept in the salt mines in Hutchinson, KS. I was fortunate
enough to be allowed to visit there in the 1980s before the lawyers locked it
down.

Jerry Michels