SLRX Car Lading

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

Most Listmembers are aware that St. Louis Refrigerator Car Co. reefers
were used to ship Bud Beer around the country.
================

I wasn't. This interests me because earlier today I was looking at some old Varney steel cars that I'm thinking about reactivating for our mid 50's club layout, and I found SLRX 4539. I suspect the answer is no because it has ice hatches. Beer was shipped mainly in RB or XI cars, not in RS. I have several questions about these cars.

- Were all such cars used by Annheuser-Busch out of St. Louis ? I suspect the answer is no - see above.
- Was there actually an SLRX and was it an RS ? Unfortunately my only ORER is 1969, when most of the RS (and RSM) cars were gone.
- What was SLRX, a leasing company ? And who used their cars ?

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 24, 2007, at 1:25 PM, Malcolm Laughlin wrote:

Most Listmembers are aware that St. Louis Refrigerator Car Co. reefers
were used to ship Bud Beer around the country.
================

I wasn't. This interests me because earlier today I was looking at
some old Varney steel cars that I'm thinking about reactivating for
our mid 50's club layout, and I found SLRX 4539. I suspect the answer
is no because it has ice hatches. Beer was shipped mainly in RB or XI
cars, not in RS. I have several questions about these cars.

- Were all such cars used by Annheuser-Busch out of St. Louis ? I
suspect the answer is no - see above.
- Was there actually an SLRX and was it an RS ? Unfortunately my only
ORER is 1969, when most of the RS (and RSM) cars were gone.
- What was SLRX, a leasing company ? And who used their cars ?
The St. Louis Refrigerator Car Co. was a wholly owned subsidiary of
Annheuser-Busch (as, also, was the Manufacturer's Railway, a St. Louis
area switching operation). While it would be rash to assert that SLRX
cars never transported anything but Budweiser beer, that was certainly
their main purpose, and SLRX was a sizable operation - almost 1,500
cars in 1950 which carried bottled beer to all parts of the country in
the years before A-B built satellite breweries in locations as distant
from St. Louis as Florida and Southern California. Most SLRX cars were
36' RBs (some with truss rod underframes, others with fishbelly steel
center sills) that were constructed exactly like reefers, including
insulation and 4' leaf doors, except that they did not have ice bunkers
or hatch covers. In later years, they also acquired some 40' cars,
most of which were second-hand ice reefers (many from MDT) but all had
their bunkers and hatch covers removed. They also had a group of 40'
RBs built new in 1945 which had unique steel ends and plywood sides.
Up through the 1930s, SLRX cars had bottle green sides and, when
billboard car side advertising was still legal, prominent Budweiser
legends. Someone at A-B apparently figured out that this was an
invitation to break-ins and pilferage, however, so in the '40s and '50s
they went to white sides and, in the 1950s, small winged-oval SLRX
heralds above the reporting marks.

The Varney models were generic reefers and, apart from paint and
lettering, only vaguely resembled the SLRX prototype cars.

Richard Hendrickson

Brian Leppert <b.leppert@...>

Richard Hendrickson wrote:

so in the '40s and '50s
they went to white sides and, in the 1950s, small winged-oval SLRX
heralds above the reporting marks.
I have a Sunshine kit for one of these cars, and my focus is 1949, and had thought I could use the small herald, so just checked the kit's "Prototype Data Sheet".

It says the 36" wide herald came about in the late 1930s, and was increased to 5 1/2 feet wide in late 1947. Also, a maroon stripe was added near the bottom of the sides at that time. Included in the data sheet are photos of SLRX 3180 with small herald, May 1947, and SLRX 6008 and 3359, both with large heralds, Sept. 1948.

I guess the small herald is OK for 1949, if I ever build that kit...

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Jim Williams <wwww5960@...>

Hi all.....Beware of the"purple" decals in the Sunshine kit. The stripe ran on me when I used a decal set. I now have a heavily weathered reefer....best Jim Williams

Brian Leppert <b.leppert@...> wrote: Richard Hendrickson wrote:

so in the '40s and '50s
they went to white sides and, in the 1950s, small winged-oval SLRX
heralds above the reporting marks.
I have a Sunshine kit for one of these cars, and my focus is 1949, and had
thought I could use the small herald, so just checked the kit's "Prototype
Data Sheet".

It says the 36" wide herald came about in the late 1930s, and was increased
to 5 1/2 feet wide in late 1947. Also, a maroon stripe was added near the
bottom of the sides at that time. Included in the data sheet are photos of
SLRX 3180 with small herald, May 1947, and SLRX 6008 and 3359, both with
large heralds, Sept. 1948.

I guess the small herald is OK for 1949, if I ever build that kit...

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.