HO-Trucks on PSC Frameless Tankcar Kit?


Dean Payne <deanpayne@...>
 

--- In STMFC@..., Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:


On Mar 16, 2007, at 12:55 PM, Ned Carey wrote:

As I recall from Richards Article the trucks were an issue.
I think one issue was clearance for the running board side sill
steps. Someone mentioned 5' wheelbase trucks. I would think a
shorter truck should help with the clearance issue. However I
could live with slightly longer trucks if it cleared the steps.
Does anyone have a current recomendation for the trucks on these cars.

Thanks,

Ned Carey
Ned,

The Bowser caboose trucks are 5' wheelbase and come closest. As
noted previously, you do need to do some carving of springs, but
that
is good for the soul <VBG>.

Regards
Bruce
I would like to model the tank car with arch bar trucks. Richard's
article recommends On-Track 5304 arch bars, but I just got a bunch of
Tahoe arch bars, which were, of course, not available at the time of
the article. The width of the side frames is less than that of some
other trucks, and the detail is very fine, including the brake shoes
and brake beams. This is much more visible on these tank cars, plus,
my trucks came with narrow tread wheels, also visible. However, I
think they are 5' 6" wheelbase, which goes against the recommended 5'
wheelbase. I'm not sure whether the narrower width of the truck
would help mitigate the increased wheelbase or not. Are the On-Trak
trucks still the arch bar of choice?
I'm also intrigued by Bruce Smith's suggestion of using the new scale
width draft gear boxes on these models. Anybody tried this?
Dean Payne


Richard Hendrickson
 

On Mar 24, 2007, at 7:55 PM, Dean Payne wrote:

I would like to model the tank car with arch bar trucks. Richard's
article recommends On-Track 5304 arch bars, but I just got a bunch of
Tahoe arch bars, which were, of course, not available at the time of
the article. The width of the side frames is less than that of some
other trucks, and the detail is very fine, including the brake shoes
and brake beams. This is much more visible on these tank cars, plus,
my trucks came with narrow tread wheels, also visible. However, I
think they are 5' 6" wheelbase, which goes against the recommended 5'
wheelbase. I'm not sure whether the narrower width of the truck
would help mitigate the increased wheelbase or not. Are the On-Trak
trucks still the arch bar of choice?
I'm an enthusiastic admirer of the Tahoe Model Works arch bar trucks,
but the arch bars applied to the prototype cars when new were 5'
wheelbase with a different side frame configuration, so the On-Trak
trucks are a better representation (if they're still available).

Richard Hendrickson


Jon Miller <atsf@...>
 

so the On-Trak trucks are a better representation (if they're still available).<
A quick search of Walthers and others show these out of stock and availability unknown. So I'm guessing they are out of business or at least have not produced any product for some time. The Walthers listing shows "all" their products out of stock!

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
Digitrax, Chief/Zephyr systems, JMRI user
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS


Jack Burgess <jack@...>
 

Jon wrote:
A quick search of Walthers and others show these out of stock and
availability unknown. So I'm guessing they are out of business
or at least have not produced any product for some time. The Walthers
listing shows
"all" their products out of stock!

The line appears to now be owned by Bethlehem Car Works:

http://www.bethlehemcarworks.com/Products/On-Trak/ho_scale.html

I don't know if they have them in stock but they do list them on their
website. They also have what appears to be some of the old Red Ball Line of
trucks under Kit Bits.

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com


Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...>
 

--- In STMFC@..., "Jack Burgess" <jack@...> wrote:

Jon wrote:
A quick search of Walthers and others show these out of stock and
availability unknown. So I'm guessing they are out of business
or at least have not produced any product for some time. The Walthers
listing shows
"all" their products out of stock!

The line appears to now be owned by Bethlehem Car Works:

http://www.bethlehemcarworks.com/Products/On-Trak/ho_scale.html

I don't know if they have them in stock but they do list them on their
website. They also have what appears to be some of the old Red Ball
Line of
trucks under Kit Bits.

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com
On-Track is still in business, as far as I know, but has been
concentrating on HO scale motor vehicles for some time now. Not sure
if listing the parts on the Bethlehem Car Works web site reflects a
change of ownership of those parts, or just a marketing agreement.
However, a quick Google search turned up this site with contact info
for On-Trak:

http://www.1-87vehicles.org/directory/on_trak.php

The link to the On-Trak web page is 404, but there's a phone number.

A word of caution; use free minutes. Any call to On-Trak is good for
at least an hour. Must not be many people to talk to in Walnut :-)

Dennis


ajfergusonca <ajferguson@...>
 

I have built this kit, and it's a little sweety. Assembly is more like
a resin kit than an Intermountain. The KD 78's fit with a little
shortining of the box and the end channel. I couldn't imagine how
gross a number 5 box would look. The problem with trucks isn't the
wheelbase- which is a visual problem, but the width of our HO model
trucks. The ladders are so close there isn't clearance to fit most.
Even with angling of the ladders outward there was insufficient
clearance for any of my trucks even with limited curves. The Taho
archbar may be narrower, I haven't seen one yet. The solution I used
was to add a 2X6 outboard on the walkway, making the walkway wider and
mounted the ladder to that thus gaining an additional foot of
clearance for the trucks.
Allen Ferguson


Tim O'Connor
 

Allen

I have used 20/30 series coupler 'draft gear' in many cases because
they are much smaller and unobtrusive. They fit the standard Kadee
shanks found on #5, scale #58, and most other Kadees. And lastly
you can build them in several permutations allowing for subtle height
adjustments.

-------------- Original message ----------------------
From: "ajfergusonca" <ajferguson@...>
I have built this kit, and it's a little sweety. Assembly is more like
a resin kit than an Intermountain. The KD 78's fit with a little
shortining of the box and the end channel. I couldn't imagine how
gross a number 5 box would look.
Allen Ferguson


Jack Burgess <jack@...>
 

Allen mentioned:

The ladders are so close there isn't clearance to fit most.
Even with angling of the ladders outward there was insufficient
clearance for any of my trucks even with limited curves. The Taho
archbar may be narrower, I haven't seen one yet. The solution I used
was to add a 2X6 outboard on the walkway, making the walkway wider and
mounted the ladder to that thus gaining an additional foot of
clearance for the trucks.
On my first build, I used Kadee arch bar trucks (5'-6" wheelbase) and just
clipped off the lowest rung and bottom of the stiles of the ladders. They
still look like they should as long as HO scale brakemen don't try to
actually use them...

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com