From: Dean Payne
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2007 10:44 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Acrylic Dullcote?

I have three resin 36' cars painted and ready for a coat of Dullcote,
but since I don't have a spray booth, I have been waiting for some
warm, dry weather to paint them in the garage. It's been a long wait,
and "dry" seems further away than warm! Plus, the spray can I've been
using doesn't seem to be as good at laying down a thin, even coat as my
airbrush. Close gives a thick coat, far gives a speckled coat.
Dullcote is available in a 1 3/4 oz bottle, but it's still solvent
based. I try to avoid solvents, if possible.
Is there a good flat coat available in acrylic? If so, I think I'd
prefer using that.
Dean Payne

Barry Roth

I've had good results using the flat finish that comes with the product Rustall. I assume it's acrylic. It's water-soluble until dry at any rate. Very good for spot coverage over decals or dry transfer lettering.

Barry Roth

Dean Payne <deanpayne@...> wrote:
[...]
Is there a good flat coat available in acrylic? If so, I think I'd
prefer using that.
Dean Payne

.

Be a PS3 game guru.

James Eckman

Dullcote is good if you are planning on using it to weather the car using alcohol which causes it to gray. Otherwise I recommend using ModelMaster flat finish. One trick to spraying in cold weather is to leave the can and the models in a warm spot overnight and then immediately take them to the garage and spray them. I've sprayed at 50 degrees with success using this method. Since this is a spray lacquer it dries extremely fast, no time to get hurt by the cold!

Jim