An unusual car needs identification!

espeeac12 <milesinniles@...>

All,

I just purchased this obscure metal kit, already assembled and decaled
by somebody else.
-Does anybody have an Idea as to the manufacturer of this kit?
-Secondly, can you provide any information on the Ill. River Packet
Co.?
-Thirdly, how long did these survive on the Rails?
-What type of boxcar is this?
-Lastly, does anybody know where I can find a photo of the real car?

Here's a link (with photos to the car)
http://www.trains.com/TRC/CS/forums/1080548/ShowPost.aspx#1080548

I've already searched all over the internet and turned up empty-handed.

-Miles

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

Looks to me like a early MDC (cast) attempt at a ATSF Bx3. It has been painted and poorly decaled. The only correct lettering on this car is ATSF.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Rob & Bev Manley

Miles,
It is a MDC kit. I had a few of those in may dark, collecting days. I believe it is a model of a Santa Fe car.
You can look on Westerfield's web site to see what the car should look like. His model is a little more accurate.

Rob Manley

I just purchased this obscure metal kit, already assembled and decaled
by somebody else.
-Does anybody have an Idea as to the manufacturer of this kit?
-Secondly, can you provide any information on the Ill. River Packet
Co.?
-Thirdly, how long did these survive on the Rails?
-What type of boxcar is this?
-Lastly, does anybody know where I can find a photo of the real car?

Here's a link (with photos to the car)
http://www.trains.com/TRC/CS/forums/1080548/ShowPost.aspx#1080548

I've already searched all over the internet and turned up empty-handed.

-Miles

Westerfield <westerfield@...>

I had one too plus a Suncoast Models version. Obviously, the prorotype has always been a favorite of mine. - Al Westerfield

Date: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:27 am ((PDT))

All,

I just purchased this obscure metal kit, already assembled and decaled by somebody else. -Does anybody have an Idea as to the manufacturer of this kit? -Secondly, can you provide any information on the Ill. River Packet Co.? -Thirdly, how long did these survive on the Rails?
-What type of boxcar is this?
-Lastly, does anybody know where I can find a photo of the real car?

Here's a link (with photos to the car) http://www.trains.com/TRC/CS/forums/1080548/ShowPost.aspx#1080548
I've already searched all over the internet and turned up empty-handed.
-Miles
Illinois River Packet is a 1900 period car.
Model Railroader had plans and a construction actical in the 50's or 60's on this.
Walthers made decals in HO and O/

I cannot get to the photos so will not comment on the model.

Howard Garner

jthirtysix

Stan Schwedler of Coronado Scale Models has a beautiful scratch built
P:48 model of this car built from plans by John Clapp in an old Model
Railroader. I remember it being a 36 foot truss rod car. I think he
had it at Naperville last year, check for photos. Your MDC car is no
way close also most [some] of these were warped and would not fit
correctly if at all. James Hickey

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "espeeac12" <milesinniles@...> wrote:

All,

I just purchased this obscure metal kit, already assembled and decaled
by somebody else.
-Does anybody have an Idea as to the manufacturer of this kit?
-Secondly, can you provide any information on the Ill. River Packet
Co.?
-Thirdly, how long did these survive on the Rails?
-What type of boxcar is this?
-Lastly, does anybody know where I can find a photo of the real car?

Paul Hillman

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Howard R Garner <cascaderail@...> wrote:

"Illinois River Packet is a 1900 period car.
Model Railroader had plans and a construction actical in the 50's or
60's on this.
Walthers made decals in HO and O/

I cannot get to the photos so will not comment on the model."

Howard Garner
The MR Illinois River Packet article was in:

November 1959, Pgs. 32-38

Built 1903.

Paul Hillman

Charles Morrill

There are photos of Stan Schwedler's excellent model of the Illinois River Packet box car on the P48 Modeler site.

www.proto48.org/p48_photos_schwedler_01.htm

Charlie

"Illinois River Packet is a 1900 period car.
Model Railroader had plans and a construction actical in the 50's or
60's on this.
Walthers made decals in HO and O/

I cannot get to the photos so will not comment on the model."

Howard Garner
The MR Illinois River Packet article was in:

November 1959, Pgs. 32-38

Built 1903.

Paul Hillman

Yahoo! Groups Links

coronadoscalemodels

Rather than Google, if one would just search the STMFC archives, you
will find my orginal posting on this car and model. For those who do
not know how to search, this is what my post #35128 from Oct. 21,
2004 said:

Re: King patent underframe

The best known example of a freight car with a King underframe is
the Illinois River Packet Co. No. 201 boxcar. Plans and construction
article for this car appeared in the Nov. 1959 issue of Model
Railroader, starting on page 32. I recently scratchbuilt this car in
P:48 using this article, in addition to added information found in
The Car Builders Dictionary. In the 1906 Edition, Fig. 4 shows a
side view of the Illinois River No. 201. Fig. 309-310 has a scale
drawing of the King underframe flatcar. Fig. 951 has a view of the
flatcar, taken from the top, before the decking was installed. In the
1909 Edition, the same views and plans are shown in Fig. 4, 368-369
and 1032.

I'm sure John Chapp, who did the MR article and plan, must have used
this same information.

Listings in the Equipment Registers showed the Illinois River Packet
Co. having 4 boxcars, No. 201-204. But only No. 201 and 203 were
listed with composite underframes. The other two were listed as wood
underframes.

I have not found out who had bought the flatcar shown in The Car
Builder's Dictionary. I hope someone else will be able to supply more
information.

Stan Schwedler
Coronado Scale Models