Backdating Mather Proto PH&D


red_gate_rover
 

I've searched the archives and found enough info to rule out the ACY
and Muncie Ball lettered Proto 2000 Mather cars. However, I've not
found anything that rules out the PH&D car as something that could be
easily backdated with K brakes and new data. Is the lettering wrong
too? What did I miss? Thank you. -Jim Pasquill


jim_mischke <jmischke@...>
 

So, what road names for the Proto2K Mather boxcar are correct???




--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "red_gate_rover" <red_gate_rover@...>
wrote:

I've searched the archives and found enough info to rule out the ACY
and Muncie Ball lettered Proto 2000 Mather cars. However, I've not
found anything that rules out the PH&D car as something that could be
easily backdated with K brakes and new data. Is the lettering wrong
too? What did I miss? Thank you. -Jim Pasquill


red_gate_rover
 

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "jim_mischke" <jmischke@...> wrote:


So, what road names for the Proto2K Mather boxcar are correct???

Jim, I don't know about them all. The Muncie and ACY cars may be
correct for some periods. I want to backdate some one 1929 and the ACY
and Muncie versions are not right for '29.
-Jim Pasquill


--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "red_gate_rover" <red_gate_rover@>
wrote:

I've searched the archives and found enough info to rule out the ACY
and Muncie Ball lettered Proto 2000 Mather cars. However, I've not
found anything that rules out the PH&D car as something that could be
easily backdated with K brakes and new data. Is the lettering wrong
too? What did I miss? Thank you. -Jim Pasquill


Richard Hendrickson
 

On Apr 17, 2007, at 4:52 PM, red_gate_rover wrote:
--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "jim_mischke" <jmischke@...> wrote:

> So, what road names for the Proto2K Mather boxcar are correct???

Jim, I don't know about them all. The Muncie and ACY cars may be
correct for some periods. I want to backdate some one 1929 and the ACY
and Muncie versions are not right for '29.
As with other Proto 2000 models, all of the P/L schemes on the Mather
box cars are correct for some period in history (though not necessarily
the same period). There is, however, a problem with the models
themselves because the Mather box cars leased to AC&Y and MWR were
slightly taller than those leased to most other RRs and therefore the
models are not entirely accurate for those two RRs.

More to the point, the years during which various RRs leased cars from
Mather varied, and most of Mather's leased box cars weren't built (or
rebuilt from stock cars) until ca. 1931-'32. The PH&D did, however,
lease 400 40'4" IL box cars from Mather beginning in the late 1920s.
That's the good news. The bad news is that I'm not aware of any photos
showing the PH&D's Mather box cars ca. 1929, so there's no way to know
whether the lettering was the same as the '40s/'50s vintage lettering
applied to the models.

Richard Hendrickson


red_gate_rover
 

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...>
wrote:

More to the point, the years during which various RRs leased cars from
Mather varied, and most of Mather's leased box cars weren't built (or
rebuilt from stock cars) until ca. 1931-'32. The PH&D did, however,
lease 400 40'4" IL box cars from Mather beginning in the late 1920s.
That's the good news. The bad news is that I'm not aware of any photos
showing the PH&D's Mather box cars ca. 1929, so there's no way to know
whether the lettering was the same as the '40s/'50s vintage lettering
applied to the models.
Thanks for the reply. This information at least allows plausibility
to simply replacing the brakes and data, at least until such time as
pictures surface. For my purposes that's good enough. However there
is a suggestions on the RPI site that these cars were painted with a
tan paint and not red. Anyone know more? -Jim Pasquill


Richard Hendrickson
 

On Apr 18, 2007, at 3:16 PM, red_gate_rover wrote:

Thanks for the reply. This information at least allows plausibility
to simply replacing the brakes and data, at least until such time as
pictures surface. For my purposes that's good enough. However there
is a suggestions on the RPI site that these cars were painted with a
tan paint and not red. Anyone know more? -Jim Pasquill
Hard to say in the absence of photos from the era you model. However,
later photos of the cars all show them to be mineral red. And the RPI
site, though sometimes useful, is far from being a paragon of accuracy.

Richard Hendrickson


red_gate_rover
 

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...>
wrote:


Hard to say in the absence of photos from the era you model. However,
later photos of the cars all show them to be mineral red. And the RPI
site, though sometimes useful, is far from being a paragon of accuracy.
Thank you again. I should have written beige and not tan. The
reference is from a 1991 article in RMC that I must have but have not
yet found the right box. I'm finding the RPI site to be useful but
often too sketchy and raising more questions. It's still great place
to start. -Jim Pasquill