Athearn Pulpwod Car

Francis Pehowic <fapjr53@...>

I am not sure if this is the proper list but because the car is metal I would think it is an older car. I have a chance to buy an Athearn metal 53' pulpwood car ($15). I have never heard of this car. The only pulpwood car I know they made is a 40' plastic model.

Can anyone be of help? The man is reputable but cannot scan a photo and time is a factor.

Thanks!
Francis A. Pehowic, Jr.

---------------------------------
Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Will Seehorn

At 08:47 PM 4/28/2007, you wrote:

I am not sure if this is the proper list but because the car is metal I would think it is an older car. I have a chance to buy an Athearn metal 53' pulpwood car ($15). I have never heard of this car. The only pulpwood car I know they made is a 40' plastic model.

Can anyone be of help? The man is reputable but cannot scan a photo and time is a factor.

Thanks!
Francis A. Pehowic, Jr.

If I recall correctly Athearn started out making metal cars -- in the 50s, not sure if they did a pulpwood car.

Will

Park Varieties <parkvarieties@...>

Athearn produced a metal pulpwood car during the mid 1950's. Produced in one road name only - Kansas City Southern in only one documented car number - 24010. All- metal car with die cast bulkhead ends. Originals had sprung metal trucks and dummy knuckle couplers. Catalog number was A-607.
Frank Brua

I am not sure if this is the proper list but because the car is metal I would think it is an older car. I have a chance to buy an Athearn metal 53' pulpwood car ($15). I have never heard of this car. The only pulpwood car I know they made is a 40' plastic model.

Can anyone be of help? The man is reputable but cannot scan a photo and time is a factor.

Thanks!
Francis A. Pehowic, Jr.

---------------------------------
Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Ed Hawkins

On Apr 29, 2007, at 6:46 AM, Park Varieties wrote:

Athearn produced a metal pulpwood car during the mid 1950's. Produced
in one road name only - Kansas City Southern in only one documented
car number - 24010. All- metal car with die cast bulkhead ends.
Originals had sprung metal trucks and dummy knuckle couplers. Catalog
number was A-607.
Frank Brua
Frank,
The prototype cars for this model were built 3-38 by AC&F (lot 1787).
There were two series, KCS 24000-24019 and L&A 3001-3255.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Charles Hladik

Many of the brand new Athearn N scale cars are made of metal !!
Chuck Hladik

toddsyr <toddsyr@...>

Just because the car is metal, don't assume it's older. I've made a few new release purchases lately that are metal cars, Athearn included. None of these N scale cars would be appropriate for this lists time frame. Just thought I'd point that out.

Todd K. Stearns

jerryglow2

I never heard of such a car. Back when Athearn was doing metal cars,
They did have a 50' boxcar car and I think a 50' flat car but not
pulpwood or bulkhead.

Jerry Glow

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Jerry Glow wrote:
"I never heard of such a car. Back when Athearn was doing metal cars,
they did have a 50' boxcar car and I think a 50' flat car but not
pulpwood or bulkhead."

Not true. See previous posts by Frank Brua, Ed Hawkins, and myself;
also see page 61 of Greensburg's Guide to Athearn Trains.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

I have that KCS flat car! I always thought it was from Ulrich
or someone else...

Tim O'Connor

At 4/29/2007 07:32 PM Sunday, you wrote:
Jerry Glow wrote:
"I never heard of such a car. Back when Athearn was doing metal cars,
they did have a 50' boxcar car and I think a 50' flat car but not
pulpwood or bulkhead."

Not true. See previous posts by Frank Brua, Ed Hawkins, and myself;
also see page 61 of Greensburg's Guide to Athearn Trains.

Ben Hom

toddsyr <toddsyr@...>

Yeah, that was my point. But, as Mr. Hom pointed out, it should be easy to tell the difference between the older and newer ones. Thanks for the tips Ben!

Todd K. Stearns

Many of the brand new Athearn N scale cars are made of metal !!
Chuck Hladik

jerryglow2

I stand correctd; that's interesting information. Guees that's what
we're all here for.

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@...> wrote:

Jerry Glow wrote:
"I never heard of such a car. Back when Athearn was doing metal cars,
they did have a 50' boxcar car and I think a 50' flat car but not
pulpwood or bulkhead."

Not true. See previous posts by Frank Brua, Ed Hawkins, and myself;
also see page 61 of Greensburg's Guide to Athearn Trains.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

There is a scan online of the builder photo of KCS #24000. I'm
not sure where I got it -- Fallen Flags or RPI -- but it's from
the Car Builder's Cyc of that era. According to my notes the IL
is 50'0".

Tim O'Connor

Athearn produced a metal pulpwood car during the mid 1950's. Produced in one road name only - Kansas City Southern in only one documented car number - 24010. All- metal car with die cast bulkhead ends. Originals had sprung metal trucks and dummy knuckle couplers. Catalog number was A-607.
Frank Brua
I am not sure if this is the proper list but because the car is metal I would think it is an older car. I have a chance to buy an Athearn metal 53' pulpwood car ($15). I have never heard of this car. The only pulpwood car I know they made is a 40' plastic model.

Can anyone be of help? The man is reputable but cannot scan a photo and time is a factor.

Thanks!
Francis A. Pehowic, Jr.

cripete <pjboylanboylan@...>

Regarding this model-
NIXON ENTERPRISES has a built kit for ATHEARN's
No. A-607 kit; of this KCS pulpwood car, on their website
for $15.95 plus shipping.
Good-Luck, Peter Boylan