Drawings

Russ Strodtz <sheridan@...>

All,

For those actually interested have made available GN 2443.
It was scanned in two parts. Each page is around 45" X 25".
You need to view at least at 50% to see everything and it's
only perfect at 100%. I use PhotoShop CS2 and the "Hand Tool"
makes it easy to move around in.

If someone ambitious feels like merging the two halves feel
free to do so and possibly share after you are done.

Where? At: www.theruralroute.com

There is a "STMFC" link.
User ID: User
Password: Illinois

Both are just as I typed them above with first letter upper
case.

Russ Strodtz

proto48er

--- In STMFC@..., "Russ Strodtz" <sheridan@...> wrote:

All,

For those actually interested have made available GN 2443.
It was scanned in two parts. Each page is around 45" X 25".
You need to view at least at 50% to see everything and it's
only perfect at 100%. I use PhotoShop CS2 and the "Hand Tool"
makes it easy to move around in.

If someone ambitious feels like merging the two halves feel
free to do so and possibly share after you are done.

Where? At: www.theruralroute.com

There is a "STMFC" link.
User ID: User
Password: Illinois

Both are just as I typed them above with first letter upper
case.

Russ Strodtz

Russ -

THANK YOU! I have been looking for that kkind of info for these cars
for quite a while! Can't wait to compare the GN drawing to mine. If
you want a copy of my "O" scale drawings of these cars, email me your
snail mail address and I will send them to you. I do not have a
scanner.

A.T. Kott

Russ Strodtz <sheridan@...>

See access information below. Have added a few other
drawings.

One is the full set of GN sill step drawings. This is
very common practice with safety appliances. Each sill
step is assigned a number, (on GN 1 thru 100). When a
car is shopped everyone always know which sill steps it
uses. They can be made up in advance and stored in bins
by number. There will also be standard grab irons and
ladder rungs. This also saves putting dimensions on these
parts on car diagrams.

The car builders used/use the same system. They had/have
their own designs and dimensions and could use the same
parts on dozens of new car orders.

Russ Strodtz

> For those actually interested have made available GN 2443.
> It was scanned in two parts. Each page is around 45" X 25".
> You need to view at least at 50% to see everything and it's
> only perfect at 100%. I use PhotoShop CS2 and the "Hand Tool"
> makes it easy to move around in.
>
> If someone ambitious feels like merging the two halves feel
> free to do so and possibly share after you are done.
>
> Where? At: www.theruralroute.com
>
> There is a "STMFC" link.
> User ID: User
> Password: Illinois
>
> Both are just as I typed them above with first letter upper
> case.
>
> Russ Strodtz

RICH NUNN <flyingtigers_nunn@...>

Dear Russ and other listers:

Excuse me, I must have been asleep somehow-what kind of a car is GN 2443? Thanks for the info on step sills. How did the crew at car shop B know what kind of parts were on the car when it was built at car shop A? In other words, how was this info transmitted? Is there a card or stencil info on the car that tells all this?

Just dumb and curious-

Thanks,
Rich Nunn

---------------------------------
Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Russ Strodtz <sheridan@...>

Rich,

GN 2443 is a drawing number. It's part of the attempt
on the part of the Railroad to keep track of things.
I have yet to see any drawing number that matched the
car number series that it illustrated.

Second question: That is the reason for the unified
drawings. All a car shop needs is just the common
parts drawings and does not need individual drawings
of each car series. If a car needs a sill step they
go to drawing 2394, find the car number and know which
one it needs. If they do not have one and do not want
to order it, drawing 2394 shows the proper dimensions
so they can make one.

Unified drawings are used for many parts some of which
are: Brake Rods, Hand Brake Chains, Grab Irons, Ladder
Rungs, Brake Levers, Trucks, Loading Devices, Door
Hardware.

On the CB&Q the same system was used but they called
them "Shop Cards".

Major shops like St Cloud, Brainerd, or Havelock had
forgings departments that did nothing but make this
kind of stuff. If one of these shops was about to build
a large car order these departments would concentrate
on the parts that the new car series was going to use so
they would be plenty in inventory. Otherwise they would
just try and keep everything in stock in case it was
needed.

Somewhere I have some older GN lists of equipment.
These came from someone in the material department and
are filled with annotations as to which locomotive and
car series they should and should not stock parts for.
Say it's 1952. No reason to stock anything for an older
4-6-0 but on the other hand parts should still be
available for any modern 0-8-0. Same thing with passenger
and freight cars.

Russ Strodtz

Excuse me, I must have been asleep somehow-what kind of a car
is GN 2443? Thanks for the info on step sills. How did the crew at
car shop B know what kind of parts were on the car when it was
built at car shop A? In other words, how was this info
transmitted? Is there a card or stencil info on the car that tells
all this?

Just dumb and curious-

Thanks,
Rich Nunn

---------------------------------
Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Yahoo! Groups Links

Staffan Ehnbom <staffan.ehnbom@...>

Russ,

I very much enjoyed your makeing these drawings available. They were all new to me. Haven't had such a nice time since I was admitted to the drawing room of the GN (BN at that time) St. Cloud shops some time in the 1980's.

Staffan Ehnbom

For those actually interested have made available GN 2443.
It was scanned in two parts. Each page is around 45" X 25".
You need to view at least at 50% to see everything and it's
only perfect at 100%. I use PhotoShop CS2 and the "Hand Tool"
makes it easy to move around in.

If someone ambitious feels like merging the two halves feel
free to do so and possibly share after you are done.

Where? At: www.theruralroute.com

There is a "STMFC" link.
User ID: User
Password: Illinois

Both are just as I typed them above with first letter upper
case.

Russ Strodtz

RICH NUNN <flyingtigers_nunn@...>

To: Russ Stodtz and other listers:

Thanks for the info, Russ.

Thanks again,

Rich Nunn

Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Russ Strodtz <sheridan@...>

Staffan,

Thank you. Will continue to add more drawings as I find
those that look interesting.