California state RR museum

ed_mines

10 years or so ago I sent the aforementioned museum a list of freight
cars I wanted photos of and they sent me back a letter telling me which
ones they had.

They sent me photocopies of prints that they had for a very reasonable
price ($0.25 each I think) and I ordered prints after eyeballing the
photocopies. I was very happy with the prints.

I don't know if they still do this.

The reasons prints are so expensive from libraries compared to vendors
like Bob's Photos is that they send the negatives out to be processed,
the photo processor makes a profit, the museum takes a few bucks for
themselves (not unreasonable to expect me to pay part of the salary of
the person doing the research)and the customer indirectly pays for
sending the negatives by insured mail.

I sent similar inquiries to other museums too. It's hard to believe
that I found a couple dozen photos I was looking for in the Kline-
Culotta book 10 years later. I'm still looking for photos!

Ed

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Ed,

The CSRM still offers photos from their collection. I recently purchased three prints, and the total bill with shipping was $50. IIRC, the printing charge for 5 X 7s was about $11 each, plus the cost have having a negative made for one of the prints (something like $10 extra). The prints arrived at my house in about two weeks. The print quality was very good, and the service was superb. I think the price was quite reasonable.

They will take orders by e-mail or by phone, and accept credit cards, checks or (in person) cash.

I don't know how much they charge for publication royalties, but I think that's extra.

I believe photocopies are still .25 each, though large sizes are probably cost more.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

ed_mines wrote:

[...]

Tim O'Connor

Garth, do they have a catalog, or do you have to (can you?) browse
the CSRM photo collection? I want to visit someday but I'd like to know
how much time I'll have to allocate to find SP freight car and locomotive
info.

From: "Garth G. Groff" <ggg9y@...>
Ed,

The CSRM still offers photos from their collection. I recently purchased
three prints, and the total bill with shipping was $50. IIRC, the
printing charge for 5 X 7s was about $11 each, plus the cost have having
a negative made for one of the prints (something like $10 extra). The
prints arrived at my house in about two weeks. The print quality was
very good, and the service was superb. I think the price was quite
reasonable.

They will take orders by e-mail or by phone, and accept credit cards,
checks or (in person) cash.

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Tim:

Try this: http://66.129.110.33/ . With the exception of the Pullman photo collection, you only get a list of boxes and folders, with fairly general notes about content. This might not be helpful. As you might imagine, they have a very large SP collection, and you could eat up a lot of precious time wallowing around. My best suggestion is to contact the museum by e-mail and discuss your interests. Give them specific dates you plan to visit, and they will pull the files or boxes you want. Set up your plans well in advance, then confirm your visit again about a week before you arrive if you are asking for a lot of stuff. The library is only open from 1-5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. As usual, you are only allowed a pencil and paper, though laptops are allowed. I don't know if you can bring your own scanner. You will find the staff very helpful.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Garth G. Groff wrote:
With the exception of the Pullman photo collection, you only get a list of boxes and folders, with fairly general notes about content.
True, but the photos are by subject (e.g. SP box cars, SP Pacific locomotives, etc.) and if you list subjects, they will pull the folders in advance. The catalog of drawings is on line.

The library is only open from 1-5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday.
They will allow you to come into the library from 9 AM onward, but they will only retrieve requested materials from 1-5. If they have already retrieved your requests before you arrive, you can start working with them at 9 AM--they just won't do NEW requests until 1 PM.
If you have any interests at all in drawings, you can look at the on-line catalog of all the museum's drawings, and request them to pull any you'd like to examine. The search function on the on-line catalog is a little quirky but will yield what you want with a little experimentation.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Tony,

The main door has always been locked until 1 p.m. when I've been there. I assume that you need to make special arrangements to get in earlier.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Garth G. Groff wrote:
The main door has always been locked until 1 p.m. when I've been there. I assume that you need to make special arrangements to get in earlier.
Yes, the library's own entrance is locked until 1 PM. The purpose is to exclude casual members of the public, not researchers; you will often find people doing research in the library in the morning. Dealing with the public requires answering many (often naive) questions, and essentially full-time presence at the desk. Researchers in the library who are working on their own are an entirely different matter, as by definition they don't require any staff attention. In the AM, library staff are doing their own curatorial and other work.
You can come up the staff stairway at the west end of the building at 9:00.

Publishers of books on railroad history