new Sunshine car?


Paul Lyons
 

Dennis,

Thank you very much, as the roof detail jpg as it clearly answers my question.

The door in Sunshine kit 78.3 is a bit to long and the hangars way to big, but now that I know the correct relationship of the door track and the structural "leg at the roof, I can clean things up and all should work.

I want to also thank Jerry Stewart who sent a couple of scans off list that helped clarified my confusion.

I am not sure how I built resin kits before this list and the resources on it.

Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA

-----Original Message-----
From: destorzek@...
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Sun, 6 May 2007 11:53 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: new Sunshine car?


--- In STMFC@..., cobrapsl@... wrote:

Dennis,

I am struggling with placing the doors on a SOO Sunshine 78.3 Kit.
This is the kit that models SOO series cars #40200-41798, built in
1928-29, with top supported Youngstown doors, Dreadnaught ends.

I only have the photo in the kit's Prototype Data Sheet to work
with and it is not real sharp, but I am not sure the Sunshine side
casting is correct for this series car. In the photo, I do not see the
very distinct flat plate side projection, or the "leg" of a Z bar at
the top of the truss. If this series does have this distinct SOO
feature, then the roof seems to have a greater side overhang where the
door track can stuck under the roof.

The Sunshine side casting for kit 78.3 is the exactly same one as
in the kit 78.1, but the prototype photos seem to tell another story.

Yours, or any other listers help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA
Paul,

I can't help with any comments on the actual construction of the kits,
as I've not had time to build them. I've also had someone tell me that
the end ladder grab ioron locates are wrong, and don't line up with
the side grabs.

As Brian Leppart pointed out, a while back I uploaded some photos that
should be helpful. The link to the whole subdirectory is:

<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFPH/files/Soo_%22Sawtooth%22_Primer/>

I see that I didn't include the roster, which I will try to correct today.

The detail of the door track and it's position relative to the roof
overhand is shown here:

<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFPH/files/Soo_%22Sawtooth%22_Primer/1929%20roof.jpg>

This detail shot is of SOO 41146 at IRM. Since the angle does not show
the roof overhang well, also see:

<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFPH/files/Soo_%22Sawtooth%22_Primer/1926%20ownership.jpg>

This is a close-up of the corner of one of the 1926 WC caes, but the
roof / side connection is the same.

Dennis



________________________________________________________________________
AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com.


Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...>
 

--- In STMFC@..., "Dennis Storzek" <destorzek@...> wrote:

I see that I didn't include the roster, which I will try to correct
today.
Here is the roster:

<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFPH/files/Soo_%22Sawtooth%22_Primer/Roster.txt>

Dennis


Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...>
 

--- In STMFC@..., cobrapsl@... wrote:

Dennis,

I am struggling with placing the doors on a SOO Sunshine 78.3 Kit.
This is the kit that models SOO series cars #40200-41798, built in
1928-29, with top supported Youngstown doors, Dreadnaught ends.

I only have the photo in the kit's Prototype Data Sheet to work
with and it is not real sharp, but I am not sure the Sunshine side
casting is correct for this series car. In the photo, I do not see the
very distinct flat plate side projection, or the "leg" of a Z bar at
the top of the truss. If this series does have this distinct SOO
feature, then the roof seems to have a greater side overhang where the
door track can stuck under the roof.

The Sunshine side casting for kit 78.3 is the exactly same one as
in the kit 78.1, but the prototype photos seem to tell another story.

Yours, or any other listers help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA
Paul,

I can't help with any comments on the actual construction of the kits,
as I've not had time to build them. I've also had someone tell me that
the end ladder grab ioron locates are wrong, and don't line up with
the side grabs.

As Brian Leppart pointed out, a while back I uploaded some photos that
should be helpful. The link to the whole subdirectory is:

<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFPH/files/Soo_%22Sawtooth%22_Primer/>

I see that I didn't include the roster, which I will try to correct today.

The detail of the door track and it's position relative to the roof
overhand is shown here:


<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFPH/files/Soo_%22Sawtooth%22_Primer/1929%20roof.jpg>

This detail shot is of SOO 41146 at IRM. Since the angle does not show
the roof overhang well, also see:


<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFPH/files/Soo_%22Sawtooth%22_Primer/1926%20ownership.jpg>

This is a close-up of the corner of one of the 1926 WC caes, but the
roof / side connection is the same.

Dennis


Brian Leppert <b.leppert@...>
 

Paul,

Dennis has several photos of Soo sawtooth boxcars in the STMFPH Files section. "1929 roof.jpg shows that Z bar. I think.

Brian Leppert
Carson City

----- Original Message -----
From: <cobrapsl@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2007 1:32 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: new Sunshine car?


Dennis,

I am struggling with placing the doors on a SOO Sunshine 78.3 Kit. This is the kit that models SOO series cars #40200-41798, built in 1928-29, with top supported Youngstown doors, Dreadnaught ends.

I only have the photo in the kit's Prototype Data Sheet to work with and it is not real sharp, but I am not sure the Sunshine side casting is correct for this series car. In the photo, I do not see the very distinct flat plate side projection, or the "leg" of a Z bar at the top of the truss. If this series does have this distinct SOO feature, then the roof seems to have a greater side overhang where the door track can stuck under the roof.

The Sunshine side casting for kit 78.3 is the exactly same one as in the kit 78.1, but the prototype photos seem to tell another story.

Yours, or any other listers help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA


Paul Lyons
 

Dennis,

I am struggling with placing the doors on a SOO Sunshine 78.3 Kit. This is the kit that models SOO series cars #40200-41798, built in 1928-29, with top supported Youngstown doors, Dreadnaught ends.

I only have the photo in the kit's Prototype Data Sheet to work with and it is not real sharp, but I am not sure the Sunshine side casting is correct for this series car. In the photo, I do not see the very distinct flat plate side projection, or the "leg" of a Z bar at the top of the truss. If this series does have this distinct SOO feature, then the roof seems to have a greater side overhang where the door track can stuck under the roof.

The Sunshine side casting for kit 78.3 is the exactly same one as in the kit 78.1, but the prototype photos seem to tell another story.

Yours, or any other listers help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA

-----Original Message-----
From: destorzek@...
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Fri, 4 May 2007 8:14 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: new Sunshine car?


--- In STMFC@..., "jerryglow2" <jerryglow@...> wrote:

June MR has a spot in the News & Products section of a Soo Line single-
sheathed boxcar from Sunshine. Is this different than the old Storzak
kit now reissued by Speedwich or a different car?

Jerry Glow
Jerry,

It's a different car(s).

The Speedwitch Models car is my old car, now combined into a one piece
body and an improved underframe. It models the cars with 5' doors,
wood sheathed ends, and fishbelly center sills built by ACF, H&B, and
Pullman in 1920, '21, and '23. See:

<http://www.speedwitch.com/Models/k108.htm>

The Sunshine cars are a new effort, with patterns by Frank Houdina.
They are flat kits and model the cars built in the later twenties by
Pullman and Siems-Stembel that had 6' doors, radial roofs, steel ends,
and straight center sills. Prior to these kits, these cars were not
easy to model accurately.

Kit #78.1 models the cars built by Pullman in 1926 with wood doors and
corrugated ends. It comes with a decal set having the proper WC 13xxxx
series numbers

Kit #78.3 models the cars built in 1928 and '29 with top supported
Youngstown doors and dreadnaught ends and comes with decals having the
proper Soo 40200 – 41798 numbers.

I don't exactly know what Martin intended with Kit #78.2. Mine came
with the steel doors and WC decal sheet. I think he intends it to be
the cars built in 1930 and assigned to the WC, but those cars had
BOTTOM supported Youngstown doors, which the kit does not. The decals
have enough numbers to to do these cars, but only have the 1926 built
dates. Maybe Frank can chime in here if he's reading this list.

Dennis



________________________________________________________________________
AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com.


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


jerryglow2
 

Thanks Dennis, I undestand he's also planning on a "sawtooth" SS car as
used by MP and possibly others. That is the one I am REALLY waiting for.

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@..., "Dennis Storzek" <destorzek@...> wrote:

Jerry,

It's a different car(s).
(goes on to explain differences etc)

Dennis


Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...>
 

--- In STMFC@..., "jerryglow2" <jerryglow@...> wrote:

June MR has a spot in the News & Products section of a Soo Line single-
sheathed boxcar from Sunshine. Is this different than the old Storzak
kit now reissued by Speedwich or a different car?

Jerry Glow
Jerry,

It's a different car(s).

The Speedwitch Models car is my old car, now combined into a one piece
body and an improved underframe. It models the cars with 5' doors,
wood sheathed ends, and fishbelly center sills built by ACF, H&B, and
Pullman in 1920, '21, and '23. See:

<http://www.speedwitch.com/Models/k108.htm>

The Sunshine cars are a new effort, with patterns by Frank Houdina.
They are flat kits and model the cars built in the later twenties by
Pullman and Siems-Stembel that had 6' doors, radial roofs, steel ends,
and straight center sills. Prior to these kits, these cars were not
easy to model accurately.

Kit #78.1 models the cars built by Pullman in 1926 with wood doors and
corrugated ends. It comes with a decal set having the proper WC 13xxxx
series numbers

Kit #78.3 models the cars built in 1928 and '29 with top supported
Youngstown doors and dreadnaught ends and comes with decals having the
proper Soo 40200 – 41798 numbers.

I don't exactly know what Martin intended with Kit #78.2. Mine came
with the steel doors and WC decal sheet. I think he intends it to be
the cars built in 1930 and assigned to the WC, but those cars had
BOTTOM supported Youngstown doors, which the kit does not. The decals
have enough numbers to to do these cars, but only have the 1926 built
dates. Maybe Frank can chime in here if he's reading this list.

Dennis


jerryglow2
 

June MR has a spot in the News & Products section of a Soo Line single-
sheathed boxcar from Sunshine. Is this different than the old Storzak
kit now reissued by Speedwich or a different car?

Jerry Glow