Modeler/Craftsman/Modeler Historian

Tim O'Connor

Frank Valoczy wrote:
Is it elitist? I don't know. I can see others looking at it that way,
sure; from my own point of view, it isn't, though.
The bozos who use elitism as a form of complaint seem to define
it as, "you're much more skillful/more knowledgeable than me and I
don't want you to remind me of it." [ducking for cover]

Tony Thompson

Mike, are ad hominem commentaries now welcome on STMFC? I am
starting to think I don't belong here, since I derive no pleasure
from denigrating other model railroaders. (Although I have been
known to make jests occasionally.)

Tim O'Connor

pullmanboss <tgmadden@...>

Tim O:
Mike, are ad hominem commentaries now welcome on STMFC? I am
starting to think I don't belong here, since I derive no pleasure
from denigrating other model railroaders. (Although I have been
known to make jests occasionally.)
We've plowed this ground before. See STMFC post #21170 from almost
four years ago. Tony Koester used it as the basis for an MR "Trains of
Thought" column.

Tom Madden

red_gate_rover

Mike, are ad hominem commentaries now welcome on STMFC? I am
starting to think I don't belong here, since I derive no pleasure
from denigrating other model railroaders. (Although I have been
known to make jests occasionally.)
Tim, I am sorry but I don't understand where you are coming from
this comment. How did commenting on how unfair it is for some
modelers to label as elitist or worse those modelers who try harder to
be more accurate turn into denegrating the modelers who don't care
to be more accurate?
-Jim Pasquill

Russ Strodtz <sheridan@...>

Or, for that matter, make those that are just on
the borderline know for sure they are unwelcome.

Russ

>> Is it elitist? I don't know. I can see others looking at it
that way,
>> sure; from my own point of view, it isn't, though.
>
>The bozos who use elitism as a form of complaint seem to define
>it as, "you're much more skillful/more knowledgeable than me
and I
>don't want you to remind me of it." [ducking for cover]
>
>Tony Thompson

Mike, are ad hominem commentaries now welcome on STMFC? I am
starting to think I don't belong here, since I derive no
pleasure
from denigrating other model railroaders. (Although I have been
known to make jests occasionally.)

Tom Madden wrote

We've plowed this ground before. See STMFC post #21170 from almost
four years ago. Tony Koester used it as the basis for an MR "Trains
of Thought" column.
That is correct Tom, we have been here before, too often. But when I
read the people who disagree with Tony are "bozos" it makes me wonder
if anyone remembers your old posting. The same name-calling/labeling
has been sprouting over on the RPM group... maybe it's just a seasonal
thing, I don't know. I do know there are many "experts" here who have
not built a model in many years, while many of the so-called "bozos"
are prolific modelers, even if many of their models are not 100%
accurate historical replicas. Oh well maybe I'm just out of step.

Certainly I've read here recently that I should not say anything at
all unless I know with utter certainty that what I am writing is 100%
irrefutable historical truth. And since I never worked for a railroad
and have only a paltry few actual historical documents, I guess I'd
better just shut up.

Tim O'

red_gate_rover

Tom Madden wrote

We've plowed this ground before. See STMFC post #21170 from almost
four years ago. Tony Koester used it as the basis for an MR "Trains
of Thought" column.
That is correct Tom, we have been here before, too often. But when I
read the people who disagree with Tony are "bozos" it makes me wonder
if anyone remembers your old posting.
It's not anyone that disagrees with Tony Koester that was being
reffered to with contempt. It was anyone that would inappropriately
label somone who does try to do better as elitist or whatever else.
What's wrong with standing up for oneself if you happen to push the
envelope a bit? I suppose one should avoid calling anyone names at
all, but the term bozo is not all that harsh to decribe someone that
would put down another for doing better or having more knowledge. -
Jim Pasquill

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Tim O'Connor wrote:
That is correct Tom, we have been here before, too often. But when I read the people who disagree with Tony are "bozos" it makes me wonder if anyone remembers your old posting.
I assume, Tim (possibly incorrectly), that you know perfectly well it's not a matter of disagreement. My gripe is only with those who call the provision of historical information "elitism." I don't mind if you (or anyone) disagrees with me--provided you can make your case--nor if you know more than me. There are many, many areas in which I'm far from expert, in fact not even terribly knowledgeable. OTOH, there are a few areas in which I believe I truly AM an expert. In those areas, if you wish to disagree with me, it won't make me call you a "bozo," but you had better bring your best stuff.
But if it's your goal, you can get yourself called a bozo real quick by objecting to the knowledge of others, or provision of same.

Publishers of books on railroad history