Topics

CSRM Philip R. Hastings photo ID question

Rob Kirkham <rdkirkham@...>

Hello - its been a while....

I've attempting to identify tank cars suitable to the steam era CPR operations in BC that I model, and came across a nice photo taken by Philip R. Hastings in 1951 in Nelson B.C. While the photo is focused on two CPR steam locos 5261 and 5758, in the background are two tank cars - one of which appears to possible be a UTLX type X. Trouble is the reporting marks are murky - I think I can see SCLX and some digits, but that's pure guess work. The copy of the photo I am looking at is reproduced in David Wilkie and Robert Turner's newest book - a very good read - titled Steam Along the Boundary, published by Sononis Press, on p.184.

Being a reproduction in a book, it isn't possible to clearly make out the reporting marks on the smaller possible type X car. Since there is enough there to get close, however, I imagine the print itself would be legible at least under magnification.

The book credits the photo to California State Railroad Museum, 213. Not sure what the 213 refers to. Yes, I know I could try to order a copy of the print from the Museum, but I was hoping someone might have done so already and could simply look over their copy of the print and advise whether the car number is legible, and if so what it says.

So - by chance - has anyone got a copy of the photo they could give a careful look at for me? Thanks in advance if you do.

If not, I wouldn't mind a little bit of direction on how best to order a print from CSRM - I can't see a reference to Hasting's photos on their web page, and so feel a little uncertain about this.

Regards,

Rob Kirkham

Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...>

Rob,

Maybe Tony Thompson or somebody else can elaborate, but the CSRM Library has organized their Hashings Prints by Railroad - the Canadian Pacific in your case. Within their CP classifications, there are two additional coding numbers: - one, Hastings' own code number; and two, the CSRM's negative number. The "CP 213" may be the Hastings code. On the back of the print will be the CSRM's Negative number.

You should probably email the library at rrmuseumlibrary@parks.ca.org with a description of your request. Ellen, the Chief Librarian, can be very helpful in fielding your request although it may be worth your while to review the entire Hastings' CP file in Sacramento.

Hope this helps, Tim Gilbert

Rob Kirkham wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that info Tim - I'll follow up with them. Sacramento is a 15 hours drive from here, and I'm not sure when I'll be able to check out the collection in person.

Rob Kirkham

W.R.Dixon

Rob Kirkham wrote:
Thanks for that info Tim - I'll follow up with them. Sacramento is a 15 hours drive from here, and I'm not sure when I'll be able to check out the collection in person.
Rob Kirkham
So how about some long term planning.
The NMRA National is in Sacramento in 2011.

Bill Dixon

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

There is nothing to substitute contacting the museums's librarians
directly at
<mailto:rrmuseumlibrary%40parks.ca.org>rrmuseumlibrary@parks.ca.org.
They are truly there to serve you, and as they can make easier your
quest for information they will do so. Although Ellen is still in
charge, she also has taken on the new title of Director of
Collections for the entire museum with all the wider responsibilities
implied. The new librarian Cara, is extremely good, will do her
professional best, and will summon help from Ellen or Kyle Wyatt when
needed.

A lot of the Hastings negatives are without any localizing
identifications, and in this regard a lot of motivated visitors find
it very useful to look through them by hand over a light box (not an
unpleasant chore). A number of such visitors have been extremely
helpful in being able to identify locations and provide supporting
annotation. Jim Singer from Chicago did this on some Soo/DSSA photos
about a month ago, and did the same on some IC photos several years
ago.

Denny

--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento

Rob Kirkham <rdkirkham@...>

Now that is a very good idea - I think I can sell that around home here.

But I need the photo much sooner than that!

Regards

Rob

Thanks for that info Tim - I'll follow up with them. Sacramento is a 15
hours drive from here, and I'm not sure when I'll be able to check out the
collection in person.

Rob Kirkham
So how about some long term planning.
The NMRA National is in Sacramento in 2011.

Bill Dixon

Yahoo! Groups Links

Rob Kirkham <rdkirkham@...>

Thanks to all of you who, both on and off line, have given me tips about
accessing the Hastings photo collection at CSRM. I'm looking forward to
this expedient till I can get there in person some day!

Rob Kirkham