gondola loads

jerryglow2

Although the cars might be too new for this group's time frame, would
this practive <http://www.pbase.com/lumixfz30/gondola_detail_shots>
have been used in the "transition" era?

Jerry Glow

Gatwood, Elden J SAD <Elden.J.Gatwood@...>

Jerry;

I have been jazzed by diagonal plate loading cars since I first saw one back
when.

The cars that shipped big sheets like this one were often designated and
modified exclusively (like this car) for that service. You could load plates
diagonally that wouldn't fit within "normal" clearance in a standard gon, or
flat, but the sheets would not be that much larger than those that could be
loaded flat on a flat car deck. I do remember seeing thick sheets loaded in
a gon that were tipped up at an angle and riding on some blocking that was
laid on top of the side, with large straps that ran over the top edge, then
joined by threaded rods that ran down the face to a lower bracket that ran
under the load.

The big sheets that wouldn't fit in a regular car were accommodated by sawing
out a portion of a gon, or using a well car, either being fitted with posts
to tip the sheets against. The earliest dedicated ones I have seen drawings
of were the proposed but not-built F26 class (I think), which were actually
constructed without a floor on one side of the car, but a framework to
support a diagonal plate load instead. The PRR must've considered it and
dropped the project, because the next thing you saw was a converted F25 well
flat, the new F25B sub-class, that was retro-fitted, VERY crudely, with two
clusters of vertical posts riveted and bracketed against one side wall, to
lean the sheets against. There was also a crude restraining strap
arrangement. I have a bad repro photo of one of this class. They were later
replaced with the better engineered F25C class of cars, that had a much
fancier arrangement of 8 vertical posts with dedicated hold-downs mounted on
top of each post, that had angled steel brackets and rodding to hold the
entire set up rigidly in place. I have better photos of this class. F25D
and F25E followed, with variations to suit particular loads. Many loads like
domed boiler heads, were generated at Lukens Steel in e. Pa., and were
shipped via the Reading and then PRR. Other loads went to ship builders along
the east coast.

When these cars began being retired in the late 60's, they were replaced with
modified G36 class gons, for which portions of the floor were cut away and
even better engineered posts and brackets installed. I have the original
plans for this car. EJ&E created their own cars in this time frame, that
served the same purpose.

Many PRR and EJ&E cars were stenciled for the sheet works at Gary, where USS
made large sheets and plates.

The AAR rules have good drawings of the loads and restraining measures they
required for one to ship these loads, in our era of interest. I saw cars
fitted with this stuff in my earlier days of watching trains. I think some
of these cars were used to ship large sheets used in river barge repair
and/or building, as I saw the cars at those facilities.

Some day I am going to build a couple of these guys, but not today...

Regards,

Elden Gatwood