A curious aspect in the Delano photo

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

I'm curious about something in the Delano photo that is no doubt obvious to all but me. Note in the part showing Tom Madden's Alton car that all the cars appear to be uncoupled. OK...why?

Mike Brock

mike turner <yardcoolieyahoo@...>

I pondered this before realizing all the doors of the side by side cars
are aligned. Ramps between cars allow hand trucks to roll out to
multiple cars.

Mike Turner
Simpsonville, SC

Mike Brock wrote:

I'm curious about something in the Delano photo that is no doubt obvious to
all but me. Note in the part showing Tom Madden's Alton car that all the
cars appear to be uncoupled. OK...why?

Mike Brock

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

Mike,

The cars are spotted with the side doors opposite each other, this way steel plates are used between the cars to unload from all 4 tracks to either side of the receiving platforms.
Very few modelers ever think to add this reality to their major terminal trackage. Drive switcher crews up the wall in op sessions.

Fred Freitas

Mike Brock <brockm@...> wrote:
I'm curious about something in the Delano photo that is no doubt obvious to
all but me. Note in the part showing Tom Madden's Alton car that all the
cars appear to be uncoupled. OK...why?

Mike Brock

Gatwood, Elden J SAD <Elden.J.Gatwood@...>

Mike;

I have noticed this in photos and in person at certain produce terminals (I
saw this in Pgh back when they were operating), and the space between car
ends seems to be sometimes related to door spacing on the facility, but it
also seems more than coincidental that facility staff seem to get access
between platform/terminal and street between those cars for handtrucks and
carrying boxes. Or, am I missing the question?

Elden Gatwood

________________________________

Mike Brock <brockm@... <mailto:brockm%40brevard.net> > wrote:
I'm curious about something in the Delano photo that is no doubt obvious to
all but me. Note in the part showing Tom Madden's Alton car that all the
cars appear to be uncoupled. OK...why?

Mike Brock

Pieter Roos

Since all (or most) are 40 ft cars, the doors logically should align
even with the cars coupled. I don't know; but wouldn't be surprised to
learn; that cars being loaded/unloaded in this situation are uncoupled
and separated some distance as these seem to be to avoid banging a car
in the process of loading/unloading while switching out an adjacent
car on the same track. Jostling a car with the any load restraints
removed and people wheeling freight on or off would be dangerous for a
number of reasons.

Pieter Roos

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Piter Roos wrote:
"Since all (or most) are 40 ft cars, the doors logically should align
even with the cars coupled."

Not if the freight house was originally built for 34 ft or 36 ft
boxcars.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Fred & Mike,

While that is true, it begs the question: Why are the doors not arranged
so that 40 foot cars can remain coupled? I have similar overhead shots
of many freight houses, and in most cases it's obvious the cars are
packed in tightly and remain coupled together. And some freight houses
basically had a "wall of doors" so it almost didn't matter where the first
car got parked. But clearly a single 50 ft or 36 ft car in the mix can mess
up the alignment of all the others.

As for the steel plates, this method is used today -- at Amtrak's Toledo
station in 2001, Amtrak had a big LCL express business going and there
were about 20 50 and 60 foot express cars on parallel tracks, and they
had steel plates connecting the cars' doorways. At the time most of the
express biz in Toledo came from H. J. Heinz, or so I heard. (Amtrak has
since quit the express biz but I'm sure the method has not changed.)

If you want to drive switcher crews crazy, give them the grain terminal on
Dan Holbrook's layout, where cars have to be moved for inspection and
fumigation, and there's a ONE CAR lead for a 3-track, 20-car yard! :-)

From: Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>
Mike,
The cars are spotted with the side doors opposite each other, this way
steel plates are used between the cars to unload from all 4 tracks to either
side of the receiving platforms.
Very few modelers ever think to add this reality to their major terminal
trackage. Drive switcher crews up the wall in op sessions.
Fred Freitas

Mont Switzer <mhts_switzerm@...>

Mike,

Taking it a step further, if your freight house could accomodate 10 cars on the spur closest to it, then cars with doors alighed on a total of four tracks raises your loading or unloading capacity 40 cars. This practice was quite common where LCL was involved and allowed a facility to expand and contract almost based on business demand.

Mont Switzer

Mike Brock <brockm@...> wrote:
I'm curious about something in the Delano photo that is no doubt obvious to
all but me. Note in the part showing Tom Madden's Alton car that all the
cars appear to be uncoupled. OK...why?

Mike Brock

---------------------------------
Got a little couch potato?

Ljack70117@...

Since I worked on the Un Pac and John Santa Fe I have never seen a warehouse Where you could leave cars coupled when you set them. If you did would you leave the slack bunched or streched out??? There is up to a foot of slack in one car. A 40 ft box car is usually 40 feet Inside. Over draw-bars you will have 42/44 feet.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
Boca Raton FL
ljack70117@...
I was born with nothing and
I have most of it left

On Jun 25, 2007, at 3:09 PM, benjaminfrank_hom wrote:

Piter Roos wrote:
"Since all (or most) are 40 ft cars, the doors logically should align
even with the cars coupled."

Not if the freight house was originally built for 34 ft or 36 ft
boxcars.

Ben Hom

Yahoo! Groups Links

mike turner <yardcoolieyahoo@...>

Do the freight platforms in the photo have doors? The left platform does
is at too steep an angle to tell and the base of roof support posts are
visible. The right platform might but the doors would almost have to be
roll up. My guess is that neither have doors which makes car spacing
decided by some other criteria such as has been mentioned before such as
isolation from coupling shock or adaptation to multiple car lengths.

Mike Turner
Simpsonville, SC

Ljack70117@...

One more thing about tracks at warehouses. All of them I worked around had Blue flags and derails on them and a switch crew could not get to the cars until someone from the warehouse came and removed them.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
Boca Raton FL
ljack70117@...
I was born with nothing and
I have most of it left

On Jun 25, 2007, at 4:20 PM, mike turner wrote:

Do the freight platforms in the photo have doors? The left platform does
is at too steep an angle to tell and the base of roof support posts are
visible. The right platform might but the doors would almost have to be
roll up. My guess is that neither have doors which makes car spacing
decided by some other criteria such as has been mentioned before such as
isolation from coupling shock or adaptation to multiple car lengths.

Mike Turner
Simpsonville, SC

Yahoo! Groups Links

Pieter Roos

Where you ever permitted to pull cars from a track before ALL the cars
on that track were finished loading or unloading?

Pieter Roos

--- In STMFC@..., Ljack70117@... wrote:

[...]

NO. We could not pull even one until the warehouse forman had pulled his crews out of the cars and had the derail and blue flag removed.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
Boca Raton FL
ljack70117@...
I was born with nothing and
I have most of it left

--- In STMFC@..., Ljack70117@... wrote:

[...]

David Smith

Would this practice (blue flags/derails) have held even at small freight
houses or was it restricted to big terminals?

Thanks,

Dave Smith, learning a lot, as usual ;-)

ljack70117@... <ljack70117%40comcast.net>

--- In STMFC@... <STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>, Ljack70117@...

--
David L. Smith
Allentown, PA

Ljack70117@...

I do not know about any place but the RRs I worked The Un Pac and john Santa Fe in Salina Ks, Topeka Ks, Emporia Ks and Ottawa Ks.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
Boca Raton FL
ljack70117@...
I was born with nothing and
I have most of it left

wrote:

[...]

Charles Morrill

I also remember the practice of separating the boxcars at the freight house tracks in El Paso. I believe the reason was to allow access to the boxcar doors from the ground without climbing over or under coupled cars.
Charlie

Do the freight platforms in the photo have doors? The left platform does
is at too steep an angle to tell and the base of roof support posts are
visible. The right platform might but the doors would almost have to be
roll up. My guess is that neither have doors which makes car spacing
decided by some other criteria such as has been mentioned before such as
isolation from coupling shock or adaptation to multiple car lengths.

Mike Turner
Simpsonville, SC

Yahoo! Groups Links

Paul <buygone@...>

David:

The Blue Flag was used by the Southern Pacific on any track that loading and
unloading was going on. Could be a Freight house or piggyback loading and
unloading tracks. They were placed there to protect the men working in or
around the cars. Before you could remove a Blue Flag you had to make sure
that everybody was in the clear.

Paul C. Koehler

_____

ljack70117@comcast. <mailto:ljack70117%40comcast.net> net

On 6/25/07, Ljack70117@comcast. <mailto:Ljack70117%40comcast.net> net
<Ljack70117@comcast. <mailto:Ljack70117%40comcast.net> net> wrote:

NO. We could not pull even one until the warehouse forman had
pulled
his crews out of the cars and had the derail and blue flag removed.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
Boca Raton FL
ljack70117@comcast. <mailto:ljack70117%40comcast.net> net
<ljack70117%40comcast.net>
I was born with nothing and
I have most of it left

On Jun 25, 2007, at 5:31 PM, pieter_roos wrote:

Where you ever permitted to pull cars from a track before ALL the
cars
on that track were finished loading or unloading?

Pieter Roos

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups. <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> com
<STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>,
Ljack70117@...
wrote:

[...]

dlsio4@gmail. <mailto:dlsio4%40gmail.com> com

Yahoo! Groups Links

David Powell <daveydiesel@...>

You couldnít remove a BLUE FLAG unless you were the one that originally
put it up. Dave Powell

From: HYPERLINK "mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com"STMFC@...

wrote:

[...]

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
12:20 PM

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
12:20 PM

Paul <buygone@...>

Dave:

This was true in the car department, but at Freight House or Piggyback
Flags. Same was true at the LA freight sheds, clerks worked the freight
while a foreman put up and took down the flags.

Paul C. Koehler

You couldn't remove a BLUE FLAG unless you were the one that originally
put it up. Dave Powell

From: HYPERLINK "mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com"STMFC@...

wrote:

[...]

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

I think Pieter's original question (Were you ever permitted to pull cars from a track before ALL the cars on that track were finished loading or unloading?)
might be rephrased a little differently:

What if there were cars buried in the tracks that were empty, or single loaded ones in a field of empties? Would the blocking cars typically be moved and respotted to get at the buried car? (After clearing all blue flags, of course.)

Even if that's NOT what Pieter wanted to know, I would.

KL