FGEX wood reefers from Accurail kits?

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

In the Mar/Apr 2007 issue of the B&O Modeler

http://borhs.org/ModelerMag/BO_Modeler_3_2007_MarApr.pdf

There is an article on converting an Accurail reefer kit. In addition to the model shown there is mention that the same changes would make the car suitable for a FGEX/WFEX car. Unfortunately the FGEX example pictured is not the same as the converted model as it has a 6-inch sill rather than the 8-inch sill added in the article.

What are suitable FGEX/WFEX number ranges for reefers with 8-inch sills?

Thanks,
KL

Don Worthy

Kurt, I'm sure glad you brought up the FGEX cars. I need a string of them as I'm modeling the Central of Georgia and Southern railways. These cars show up in most any photos of my target railways.
I'd seen a couple of model shots on Steam Era Freight Car site but the info was very skippy. The only info I got from it was that the Red Caboose car was used in that project.
I, too, am in need of info about these cars.
I've come up with photos of several FGEX cars that seem to be of different height and other such things. It would help me so much if the measurements of the various type cars that they "seemed" to have had could be made available.
Kurt lets keep each other informed of any info that can be found. I'll gladly show you some of these shots that I've found. OFF line of course.

Thanks
Don Worthy
Ivey, Ga. at dworthy57@...

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...> wrote:
In the Mar/Apr 2007 issue of the B&O Modeler

http://borhs.org/ModelerMag/BO_Modeler_3_2007_MarApr.pdf

There is an article on converting an Accurail reefer kit. In addition to the model shown there is mention that the same changes would make the car suitable for a FGEX/WFEX car. Unfortunately the FGEX example pictured is not the same as the converted model as it has a 6-inch sill rather than the 8-inch sill added in the article.

What are suitable FGEX/WFEX number ranges for reefers with 8-inch sills?

Thanks,
KL

---------------------------------
Building a website is a piece of cake.

Pieter Roos

Don, Kurt;

You want to find this article by Bill Welch:

WFE and FGE 40-foot wood reefers from lnterMountain models
Railmodel Journal, February 2005 page 40

Also both volumes of Ted Cullota's Prototype Railroad Modeling journal
have articles (also by Bill) on parts of the BREX/WFE/FEGX fleet.

Those, plus the B& Modeler article and the six examples on the Steam
Era Freight Car site should allow kitbashing of basic Accurail reefer
to be close to a number of FEGX designs.

Pieter Roos

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...> wrote:
In the Mar/Apr 2007 issue of the B&O Modeler

http://borhs.org/ModelerMag/BO_Modeler_3_2007_MarApr.pdf

There is an article on converting an Accurail reefer kit. In
addition to the model shown there is mention that the same changes
would make the car suitable for a FGEX/WFEX car. Unfortunately the
FGEX example pictured is not the same as the converted model as it has
a 6-inch sill rather than the 8-inch sill added in the article.

What are suitable FGEX/WFEX number ranges for reefers with 8-inch sills?

Thanks,
KL

---------------------------------
Building a website is a piece of cake.

Don Worthy

Thanks Pieter, for the info. Although, I've had bad luck trying to find articles in RMJ and in MRC. Some have wanted as much for a old mag. as some books cost....
But, I can get Ted's book. It should be available.
Thanks again
Don Worthy

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...> wrote:
In the Mar/Apr 2007 issue of the B&O Modeler

http://borhs.org/ModelerMag/BO_Modeler_3_2007_MarApr.pdf

There is an article on converting an Accurail reefer kit. In
addition to the model shown there is mention that the same changes
would make the car suitable for a FGEX/WFEX car. Unfortunately the
FGEX example pictured is not the same as the converted model as it has
a 6-inch sill rather than the 8-inch sill added in the article.

What are suitable FGEX/WFEX number ranges for reefers with 8-inch sills?

Thanks,
KL

---------------------------------
Building a website is a piece of cake.

---------------------------------
TV dinner still cooling?

Pieter Roos

Hi Don;

Bill's RMJ article was an overview with discussion of the two main
FEGX designs (and lost of pictures). You might consider checking the
NMRA library for a copy of just the article. The two articles in Ted's
PRMJ concern BREX cars and truss rod cars respectively and do not
provide as complete an overview of FEGX, although there is a good deal
of general information.

I'll try tonight to look at the my copy of the RMJ article as it had
the number info that Kurt wanted.

[...]

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

Don,

Give this site a try; www.railpub.com; Paul has tons of old mags & books for sale at reasonable prices.

Fred Freitas

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...> wrote:
In the Mar/Apr 2007 issue of the B&O Modeler

http://borhs.org/ModelerMag/BO_Modeler_3_2007_MarApr.pdf

There is an article on converting an Accurail reefer kit. In
addition to the model shown there is mention that the same changes
would make the car suitable for a FGEX/WFEX car. Unfortunately the
FGEX example pictured is not the same as the converted model as it has
a 6-inch sill rather than the 8-inch sill added in the article.

What are suitable FGEX/WFEX number ranges for reefers with 8-inch sills?

Thanks,
KL

---------------------------------
Building a website is a piece of cake.

---------------------------------
TV dinner still cooling?

Greg Martin

_http://borhs.http://borhs.<Whttp://borhhttp://borhs.htt_
(http://borhs.org/ModelerMag/BO_Modeler_3_2007_MarApr.pdf)

There is an article on converting an Accurail reefer kit. In addition to the
model shown there is mention that the same changes would make the car
suitable for a FGEX/WFEX car. Unfortunately the FGEX example pictured is not the
same as the converted model as it has a 6-inch sill rather than the 8-inch sill
added in the article.

What are suitable FGEX/WFEX number ranges for reefers with 8-inch sills?

Thanks,
KL<

Kurt and all,

Seeing how I did the article (with many friends involved, Ben in particular
was responsible for the B&O publishing) I suppose I can answer the question.
Many thanks to Bill Welch for his excellent publications on of which is
particularly helpful "The Wood Sheathed Car of the FGEX/WFEX/BREX Freight
Refrigerator Fleet: 1940-1953 (a drop dead value at $3.00 plus S&H). I had dinner a
couple weeks back with Bill and I coined him a one man historical society of
which he hopes I will make two... I told him Richard can be two I will come
in later...

You're right the photo of the car shown is an earlier design of car, (Bill's
reference) as a Company underframe #3, riveted with a 6-inch side sill.
These cars were in series 32100-35999 and WFEX 65000-66349 and is difficult to
model as the car is basically 5½-6 inches shorter than the ACCURAIL. I believe
that this is the car that InterMountain intends on releasing IIRC.

The basis for the kit-bash is the Company Underframe #4 FEGX 36000-37999 and
50000-51999 and was the height of the ACCURAIL design, however the
underframe is the BREX design not the FGEX/WFEX/NX cars, thus the conversion to an
8-inch sill with a new center sill and cross-bearers. The car for the article
is the leased car(s) from National Car and I am hard at work on another meat
reefer from the National Car fleet of leased meat reefers the Sioux City
Dressed Beef/ Needam Packing cars. With much appreciated help from Richard I was
able to find answers to questions I had regarding these cars. Bill a few days
later gave me answers and clues over dinner in downtown Portland (Bill if you
are reading thanks again and I owe you a lot!). This article will appear
in another Historical Society publication in the near future and I believe
that Bruce Smith is planning on doing two articles for TKM on the FGEX car and
a National Car as well. I am going to attempt to bash a 37-foot car from the
40-foot car and once again Richard came to the rescue...

This is just a teaser from his (Bill Welch's) booklet and I would say it is
a must for all steam era modelers. I can't wait for all Bill's information
to be released in a single book, his research is great.

NO Mike, this is not the Cocoa Beach Car for 2008, it is something different
and will remain a secrete until the meet comes closer.

Also, I have a couple of request for "more info" regarding the Cocoa Beach
Car from 2007 and I will send them via CD as the files are too big to send via
the Internet. (Jerry Glow and John Golden I haven't forgotten you guys).

Kurt the meat reefer will undoubtedly fit your era as these cars were still
around until 1968 at least, as far as I can tell as the FGEX/WFEX company
cars were retired from produce service as a result of acquisition of more modern
cars the wood fleet appears to have been leased to private meat packers due
to their low lease cost. Other factors like per diem sharing made them even
more attractive.

Greg Martin

Albert & Charlene Spor

Hi All
How does one go about obtaining "The Wood Sheathed Car of the FGEX/WFEX/BREX Freight Refrigerator Fleet"?
Thanks
Albert Spor

Greg Martin

Albert and all,

Bill does monitor this list and I would suppose if you put out a call (Internet calling) I would suppose he would reply. If no response I could have him email you.

Greg Martin

How does one go about obtaining "The Wood Sheathed Car of the FGEX/WFEX/BREX Freight Refrigerator Fleet"?
Thanks
Albert Spor

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

List,

If the material Albert is looking for is in book, or printed form, then I too would like to purchase a copy.

Fred Freitas

Albert & Charlene Spor <albchar@...> wrote:
Hi All
How does one go about obtaining "The Wood Sheathed Car of the FGEX/WFEX/BREX Freight Refrigerator Fleet"?
Thanks
Albert Spor

Pieter Roos

As, I'm sure, would a number of us!

Pieter Roos

--- In STMFC@..., Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...> wrote:

List,

If the material Albert is looking for is in book, or printed
form, then I too would like to purchase a copy.

Fred Freitas

Albert & Charlene Spor <albchar@...> wrote:
Hi All
How does one go about obtaining "The Wood Sheathed Car of the
FGEX/WFEX/BREX Freight Refrigerator Fleet"?
Thanks
Albert Spor

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

I'd like one too, please.

KL

From: Don Worthy <don_worthy@...>
Hello Ben
[...]

Rather, WITH BILL'S PERMISSION, someone could scan his handout and distribute it or make it available on a website. . .

KL