pic from rrpicturearchives

jerryglow2

I don't think Tom Stolte the photographer is on this group and probably
dosen't know himself but I'll ask. Ithe recessed ladders could have
been built in what was a doorway at one time.

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Harding" <dharding@...> wrote:

Anyone able to offer more information about the car in this photo?
http://oddballsdecals.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=812807
It appears to be an auto boxcar of some sort, with the end doors, or
perhaps
a baggage car. The recessed ladders and smooth sides make me wonder
if it is
a wide bodied car of some sort.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
7/15/2007
2:21 PM

Rob & Bev Manley

This happens to be a CB&Q Bomber Box or specifically the container that rode on thier 1942 built FM-14 flatcars . These housed fusilage halves for the B-29 bombers. They were painted Mineral Red and numbered the same as thier 53'6" flats. 69 of the housings were built , used for about a year and were later removed when the production of the B-29 Superfrotress stopped in September of '45.
Many of the boxes survived to become tool sheds at Havelock, icing platforms in Denver, private residences and barns.

The full story of the converted boxcars and the containers was published in Burlington Bulletin No. 15 by F.Hol Wagner and includes a roster of all the flats from the FM-14 class and a beautiful set of O scale drawings from Marty Feldner. These include the flat car.
There is a photo of the Katelman car on the back cover and two Simulated Stainless Steel chair cars on the front cover.

Rob Manley

I don't think Tom Stolte the photographer is on this group and probably
dosen't know himself but I'll ask. Ithe recessed ladders could have
been built in what was a doorway at one time.

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Harding" <dharding@...> wrote:

> Anyone able to offer more information about the car in this photo?
> http://oddballsdecals.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=812807
> It appears to be an auto boxcar of some sort, with the end doors, or
perhaps
> a baggage car. The recessed ladders and smooth sides make me wonder
if it is
> a wide bodied car of some sort.
>
> Doug Harding
> www.iowacentralrr.org

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
7/15/2007
> 2:21 PM

Douglas Harding <dharding@...>

Thanks Rob, I knew I had seen the car (body) before, just could not remember
where. I will dig out that issue of the BB and take a closer look.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
2:21 PM

jim_mischke <jmischke@...>

I photographed such a shed near the Illinois Central depot at
Independence, Iowa, used for IC work equipment.

Were all such boxcars CB&Q or were there others?

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Harding" <dharding@...> wrote:

Thanks Rob, I knew I had seen the car (body) before, just could not
remember
where. I will dig out that issue of the BB and take a closer look.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
7/15/2007
2:21 PM

Charlie Vlk

AFAIK the B29 housings were a Q-only thing. They were designed and built by the Q IIRC.
It would be neat to find out otherwise, however...
Charlie Vlk

I photographed such a shed near the Illinois Central depot at
Independence, Iowa, used for IC work equipment.

Were all such boxcars CB&Q or were there others?

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Harding" <dharding@...> wrote:

> Thanks Rob, I knew I had seen the car (body) before, just could not
remember
> where. I will dig out that issue of the BB and take a closer look.
>
> Doug Harding
> www.iowacentralrr.org

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
7/15/2007
> 2:21 PM

George R. Stilwell, Jr. <GRSJr@...>

"Bill is a generous person, though you
clearly don't know that. And it sure ain't about money. Go to your
local Kinkos or other copy shop with a 54-page document and see what it
costs to copy it, before you complain about Bill's $3 charge."
This is the 21st century. Who goes to Kinkos and pays their prices when you
can scan the handout to a PDF file and distribute it via E-mail for free.
The recipient can print it if desired or just read it on their computer.
So, it's not about money, it's about the willingness to share. One could
argue the cost of scanning, but many HP printers scan for free. If Bill
wants, I'll scan the handout for him and send him the PDF file.
Ray

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

George R. Stilwell, Jr. writes:

"This is the 21st century. Who goes to Kinkos and pays their prices when you
can scan the handout to a PDF file and distribute it via E-mail for free."

Ever tried to distribute a handout during a clinic via Email? The point of all this is that Bill generated a very extensive clinic handout. Scan a 54 pg handout? Okaaay. Not me though...I have other things to do.

"The recipient can print it if desired or just read it on their computer.
So, it's not about money, it's about the willingness to share."

I would disagree. It's about having time.

Mike Brock

Tim O'Connor

George R. Stilwell, Jr. writes:

"This is the 21st century. Who goes to Kinkos and pays their prices when you
can scan the handout to a PDF file and distribute it via E-mail for free."

scan to a PDF for free? i've had 6 PC's over the years and
not one of them can CREATE a PDF file -- only the Adobe reader
is freeware, not the writer software. But I'm sure if you'll
send Bill $449 for the Adobe software, plus a flatbed scanner,
and a stack of CD's and mailing sleeves, then he'll make you
a free copy.

Tim O'Connor

mike turner <yardcoolieyahoo@...>

Tim,

These programs allow creation and viewing .pdf files without Adobe's
help. Printing from a word processor, spreadsheet, or other program to a
.pdf does work. I have not tried converting a scanned image, yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDFCreator
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostscript

Mike Turner
Simpsonville, SC

Tim O'Connor wrote:

George R. Stilwell, Jr. writes:

"This is the 21st century. Who goes to Kinkos and pays their prices when you
can scan the handout to a PDF file and distribute it via E-mail for free."

scan to a PDF for free? i've had 6 PC's over the years and
not one of them can CREATE a PDF file -- only the Adobe reader
is freeware, not the writer software. But I'm sure if you'll
send Bill $449 for the Adobe software, plus a flatbed scanner,
and a stack of CD's and mailing sleeves, then he'll make you
a free copy.

Tim O'Connor

Ljack70117@...

On my Mac I can do a article and then tell it to print. When the print program comes up There is a save to PDF option and if I save to PDF then I can take the PDF and email it where ever I wish. PDF are no big thing on a MAC.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
Boca Raton FL
ljack70117@comcast.net
I was born with nothing and
I have most of it left

Tim O'Connor wrote:
George R. Stilwell, Jr. writes:

"This is the 21st century. Who goes to Kinkos and pays their prices when you
can scan the handout to a PDF file and distribute it via E-mail for free."

scan to a PDF for free? i've had 6 PC's over the years and
not one of them can CREATE a PDF file -- only the Adobe reader
is freeware, not the writer software. But I'm sure if you'll
send Bill $449 for the Adobe software, plus a flatbed scanner,
and a stack of CD's and mailing sleeves, then he'll make you
a free copy.

Tim O'Connor

Yahoo! Groups Links

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Ray Stilwell wrote:
This is the 21st century. Who goes to Kinkos and pays their prices when you can scan the handout to a PDF file and distribute it via E-mail for free.
Different process for different needs. If people need to follow along in a handout DURING the talk, Ray, your suggestion is meaningless.

So, it's not about money, it's about the willingness to share.
Nice one, suggesting that Bill doesn't want to share. You should apologize, Ray.

Publishers of books on railroad history

toddsyr <toddsyr@...>

There are free programs that will write PDF files nowadays just to keep the information current. A Google search will put you in the right direction. I do agree however that nobody is obligated to give away anything they've taken the time to research and compile or photograph. I know alot of folks think they should get something for nothing just because they can. I'm not one of them though. I pay for my music, give credit and weblinks for photos from the internet posted in various RR forums, take only one newspaper from the coinbox etc etc etc.

Todd K. Stearns

Jack Burgess

"Bill is a generous person, though you
clearly don't know that. And it sure ain't about money. Go to your
local Kinkos or other copy shop with a 54-page document and see what it
costs to copy it, before you complain about Bill's $3 charge."
This is the 21st century. Who goes to Kinkos and pays their
prices when you
can scan the handout to a PDF file and distribute it via E-mail for free.
A 54-page PDF file scanned at 100 dpi (marginal quality) and not converted
from Word would be about 25 megs....not the thing you can e-mail to people.

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com

Larry Kline

Tim O'Connor wrote:
scan to a PDF for free? i've had 6 PC's over the years and not one of
them can CREATE a PDF file.

The Mac print utility can create PDFs. I recently used it to convert
a 24 page P&LERR Historical Society magazine issue from a Word
document to a pdf. I was pleased with the results, including the
images. I did use Photoshop to appropriately size the 24 images that
I put into the Word document, but a less expensive program such as
Photoshop Elements would have worked equally well.

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh, PA

Jack Burgess

All true but making a PDF file from a scanned image is more time-consuming,
requires a different program, and results in very large files...

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com

On my Mac I can do a article and then tell it to print. When the
print program comes up There is a save to PDF option and if I save to
PDF then I can take the PDF and email it where ever I wish. PDF are
no big thing on a MAC.
Thank you
Larry Jackman

Greg Martin

Well, if you plan to do a clinic/seminar in an open fourm and the PRM meet request you offer a handout, then that is when/why you would go to Kinkos and pay the price. No one here that has done that kind of research knowing fully well that the material was for a book would allow anyone to scan the data and then allow someone to post it to the web... That's Nutz and has nothing to do with sharing. One can share the data in the form of a book, no one with any ethics with regards to the understanding of the work involved would agree the information needs to be free...

Greg Martin

clearly don't know that. And it sure ain't about money. Go to your
local Kinkos or other copy shop with a 54-page document and see what it
costs to copy it, before you complain about Bill's $3 charge."
This is the 21st century. Who goes to Kinkos and pays their prices when you
can scan the handout to a PDF file and distribute it via E-mail for free.
The recipient can print it if desired or just read it on their computer.
So, it's not about money, it's about the willingness to share. One could
argue the cost of scanning, but many HP printers scan for free. If Bill
wants, I'll scan the handout for him and send him the PDF file.
Ray

William Bryk <wmbryk@...>

I think the issue is that Bill did a great deal of work and published it in
a format that suited him. I think he's under no moral obligation to publish
it in some way that suits somebody else. If someone wants to publish Bill's
work in another format, they should contact him privately and work out the
details, rather than send out posts that suggests the work Bill's done is
not enough in itself: he has to go beyond that to share and be a good
fellow. As General McAuliffe said at Bastogne, "Nuts."

Regards,
William Bryk

On 7/17/07, tgregmrtn@aol.com <tgregmrtn@aol.com> wrote:

[...]

from AOL at AOL.com.

Schuyler Larrabee

Do a pdf from a flatbed scanner? Surely, you're joking.

There are copy machines these days which don't' go through the process that used to be used,
whatever it was, where each page was scanned repeatedly if you wanted more than one copy. These
copiers now scan the pages into a file, and that file is printed however many times it needs to be
so as to make your copies.

These copiers can scan the pages in a 50 page document in a matter of ~15 seconds from the button
push. They can print, and the file created from the scan is dumped, or they can save that scan to a
file, which can be sent to your computer. That file can then be saved in a number of formats,
including pdf. Total elapsed time from putting the original in the copier/scanner: ~2 minutes.

No, I don't have this here at home (but I'd sure like to . . ). We have it at my office, and I have
done the feat outlined above numerous times. I'd expect to be able to have this done at a good
Kinkos or equivalent.

And truth to tell, some of the scans I've made have been of steam era frt cars. *whew*

SGL
La vita e breve, mangiate prima il dolce!