From: Tim O'Connor
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Saturday, July 21, 2007 6:37 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: advanced electronics (was NMRA convention)

I only wish for one hobby advancement -- a very small (about the
size of a baby aspirin) programmable "AEI" tag so we could retire
all the car cards and buttons and other means that we use to keep
track of cars on the layout. Scanners could be hand held and used
by the yard operator or crew to scan cars in a train wherever its
appropriate on the layout. A PC then could keep track of the cars
and generate new destinations for cars when they finish their
trips, and print switchlists or waybills as needed/desired. Of
course the scanners should be wireless too, just to make it easy.
Found a car and don't know where it belongs? Just scan it and the
PC will tell you... I figure such devices should cost about $2
or less. Also the devices could encode the owner of the model,
so they may offer a small amount of security over other methods,
if hidden inside the model...

Tim O'Connor

jmo99999 <joseph.onorato@...>

Tim,

You should look into the RFID technology that is used for inventory
control in warehouses. My understanding is that passive RFID chips
are available for about $0.25. They are small enough to be inserted
into a pet's ear through a syringe.

The active chips are about $2.00 and can contain at least several K
of memory.

JMO

[...]

Kurt wrote

Those already exist, more or less. They are called RFID tags ....
I think many modelers *like* the idea of using car cars though ...
I don't think ANY idea will appeal to ALL modelers. But so
what? I've used car cards, and they are fine for single use,
but not adequate for long term use (IMO).

Tim

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@..., "jmo99999" <joseph.onorato@...> wrote:

Tim,

You should look into the RFID technology that is used for inventory
control in warehouses. My understanding is that passive RFID chips
are available for about $0.25. They are small enough to be inserted
into a pet's ear through a syringe.

The active chips are about $2.00 and can contain at least several K
of memory.

JMO
The problem isn't the cost of the chips, it's the cost of the readers.
This issue comes up on the RY OPS SIG list from time to time, but
isn't going to go anywhere until:

1. Readers become cheap enough to justify buying a dozen or so;
2. Someone makes software available that does something useful with
the data.

Protrak software can do the second, but is a all encompassing layout
management program.

I suggest anyone interested in this join the OPS SIG list at:

and search the archives.

Dennis

Schuyler Larrabee

Kurt wrote

Those already exist, more or less. They are called RFID tags ....
I think many modelers *like* the idea of using car cars though ...
I don't think ANY idea will appeal to ALL modelers. But so
what? I've used car cards, and they are fine for single use,
but not adequate for long term use (IMO).

Tim
Single? We have cards at the club which have been in use for probably eight or nine years, if not
more. Yes, some of the show it, but they're still legible.

SGL
La vita e breve, mangiate prima il dolce!