Film vs digital what's the flap?

asychis@...

In a message dated 8/9/2007 1:50:47 PM Central Daylight Time,
STMFC@yahoogroups.com writes:

Basically, I am not a fan of "archival scans". Film has a
well established archival value -- preserve & protect the
film, and all will be well with the world. :-) Film really
only needs to be archivally digitized if it's in danger of
degrading. Or if you need scans for a book...

Tim, I take it you are familiar with Verichrome, Ansochrome? Those nice RED
pictures we now have from film shot in the 1950s? How about the wonderful
blue cast from Ektachrome in less than 10 years? Kodachrome 64 and Kodachrome
25 seem to be holding up well, but who knows...have these films been out 50
years or more? Color shifts in film are one big reason we have such problems in
confirming freight car paint colors. I really think digital does better at
that than any film.

I get a kick out of the fear about scanned slides and digital photographs. I
have a friend who believes that there will be no historic records of our
current times because digital photos will not survive. I would never subscribe to
destroying original slides or negatives, but I have no qualms about digital
scans. As long as you take care of them like you would a slide, save them all
as .tif's for archives and reburn them every 3-5 years, they will last. And I
agree with what Jack wrote. It is inconceivable that the computer industry
would change to some new data storage format without having the ability to
cross over from previous formats.

Jerry Michels

Jerry Michels wrote
.... I have no qualms about digital scans. As long as you take care of them
like you would a slide, save them all as .tif's for archives and reburn them
every 3-5 years, they will last. And I agree with what Jack wrote. It is
inconceivable that the computer industry would change to some new data
storage format without having the ability to cross over from previous formats.
Yes, well... I plan to make hi-res scans of everything I own, five days
before I die. Think of all the time & money I'll have saved by not copying
and re-copying all those scans... More time to build freight cars!

Tim "we're just dust in the slide tray" O'Connor

Raymond Young

Jerry,

I have an extensive collection of slides purchased over a period of years. They are nearly all copies of original slides done on various slide duplicators. It is always likely that the quality of the copy is degraded in its rendition of small variations in intensity from that present in the original. Add to this the poor exposure and other faults caused by poor camera technique of the original photographer and many of the orininals were less than optimum.

Whether or not the copyright laws allow it, I have improved the appearance of my purchased slides through the use of Photoshop. This may be what your friend is objecting to in that colors can be shifted with Photoshop. But if the slide is of some use, I save the original and try to improve its appearance with PhotoShop, especially using Brightness and Contrast. The Gerstley Slide Collection is a case in point.

Regards,

Virgil Young