Tim Gilbert

Ian Wilson

Hello List:

Pardon me if this has been mentioned--there is no trace of such in the
list archives--but I have only learned this morning of the passing of
Timothy Andrew Gilbert (Feb. 27/41 - June 20/07). Aside from being a
steady contributor to this list, Tim was of great assistance to me
whenever I called upon him. His lengthy and thoughtful messages were
typed using the "hunt and peck" method, no less. He was also a steady
customer of ours, and the reason we learned of his passing was a note
from Nicholas Goretski, the executor of his estate, in reply to a flyer
we sent Tim regarding our upcoming book release.

Ian Wilson
_________________________
Canadian Branchline Miniatures
Box 2565, Orillia, ON L3V 7B1
http://www.canadianbranchline.com
mailto:ian@canadianbranchline.com
Publishers of books on CNR steam operations in Ontario during the 1950s

pierreoliver2003 <pierre.oliver@...>

That is sad news. I will always remember Tim's open and honest
friendship whenever I made it to Naperville.
Pierre Oliver

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Wilson" <ian@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard Hendrickson

The news of Tim Gilbert's death gets my day off to a very bad start.
Tim's knowlege, resourcefulness, and willingness to share were a major
asset to the STMFC list and to prototype modeling in general. Like
Pierre Oliver, I'll miss seeing Tim at Naperville. Another good guy
gone to the great freight yard in the sky.

Richard Hendrickson

Tim O'Connor

Tim was always startlingly frank and direct with me about his
health and I was always relieved to see him at Naperville or at
the Springfield Big E train show because I knew his prognosis
was grim. Yet as you say he was helpful, knowledgeable and
never lost his sense of humor. It's strange now to have so many
emails in my archive from so many departed pen pals... but in
Tim's case it's a great legacy too. I'll never be able to think about
LCL without remembering Mr. Gilbert.

From: Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@opendoor.com>
The news of Tim Gilbert's death gets my day off to a very bad start.
Tim's knowlege, resourcefulness, and willingness to share were a major
asset to the STMFC list and to prototype modeling in general. Like
Pierre Oliver, I'll miss seeing Tim at Naperville. Another good guy
gone to the great freight yard in the sky.

Richard Hendrickson

Thomas Baker

Very sorry to hear of Tim's passing. I have appreciated his postings over the years. We will all, I am sure, miss his expertise and his willingness to clarify or offer an insight.

Tom

________________________________

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

I, too, was startled to read about Tim Gilbert's passing. I had noticed that he had not commented in some time and was curious about that.

As many know, Tim, along with Dave Nelson, was a key figure in the accumulation of data about frt car populations and their distribution and he did a great deal of analysis on such. There are quite a few messages in the STMFC archives from Tim containing various aspects of his studies. He and I carried on more than one discussion about such distributions...always pleasurable and interesting. He added the data from my 1949 UP freight conductor's book to his and passed the results to the STMFC.
I was pleased to meet him when he attended Prototype Rails in Cocoa Beach in 2006. He will be missed.

Mike Brock

Rufus Cone <cone@...>

Tim Gilbert's many helpful and important contributions certainly earned
him the thoughtful acknowledgements sent by Ian, Wilson, Richard
Hendrickson, Mike Brock, and a number of others. Their earlier posts have
covered many aspects of Tim Gilbert's special contributions to STMFC and
to his response to many individuals' request for analysis or data.

His injection of concrete data from Moody's into the discussions along
with his analysis of conductors' car lists and other data were notable.

As Tom Baker said, "We will all, I am sure, miss his expertise and his
willingness to clarify or offer an insight."

Rufus Cone
Bozeman, MT

Tom Madden <tgmadden@...>

Mike Brock wrote:

I, too, was startled to read about Tim Gilbert's passing. I had
noticed that he had not commented in some time and was curious
about that.
A quick search shows that Tim's last STMFC post was #63014 on 5/26/07.
Twenty five days later, he's gone - and at only 66. A blunt reminder of
the impermanence of human life, especially to those of us already well
past that age.

Thanks, Tim, for sharing.

Tom Madden

Rob Kirkham <rdkirkham@...>

Ian - thanks for passing along this sad news! Tim was a great source of information on how to analyse published data on railways, and willingly contributed his insight to my own efforts with Canadian data. Over the years I enjoyed watching as he continued to develop his analyses of freight car distributions and movements, and our collective understanding is far better as a result. With the work he and Dave Nelson have done, more than a few myths have been revealed as such. I'll miss his posts and friendship on this list.

Rob Kirkham