Topics

Lead weight

Peter Weiglin

Not every car that needs weight is a "house" car, capable of concealing coins, sinkers, tire weights, nuts, or "designer lead" weights.

The idea that lead shot could be glued into an underframe made me think that the smaller the shot, the more the cavity is filled.

The smallest particle would therefore be lead powder. After some searching, I found that lead powder is available, from some golf supply houses. Seems that golfers use it for weighting clubs. CA adhesive binds the powder in place between underframe beams.

Obvious warning: this is lead in its most inhalable, toxic form. Be careful, wash your hands immediately afterward, etc.

(I'd repeat the warning about not smoking, but I don't want to get political.)

Peter Weiglin
Amelia, OH

Westerfield <westerfield@...>

We purchase powered lead to add to polyester castings for "hidden" weight. Suspended in the resin it hardly gives an indication when the casting is tested for lead. I wouldn't recommend trying to use it simply glued in place. Instead, go for size 8.5 steel shot. It's small enough to fit in any nook or cranny. You can buy a 25 lb. bag cheap at any pawn/gun shop. That much should last a lifetime. - Al Westerfield

George R. Stilwell, Jr. <GRSJr@...>

Why not use powdered, or better, moldable Tungsten from the golf shop. It's
density considerably greater then lead, so less will be needed. Many model builders have found it to be quite effective.

Ray

Rod Miller

What does it cost, and how available is it? Google turns up something
called Tung Fu, used for fishing weights, and danged if I can find how
many ounces you get for a price than ranges from $8 to $12. Two golf
pro shops in the Silicon Valley don't have it.

Sooo, where can you get it and what does it cost per ounce?

Rod Miller

Jared Harper <harper-brown@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, " Westerfield" <westerfield@...> wrote:

We purchase powered lead to add to polyester castings for "hidden"
weight.

Is it steam powered or diesel powered. I guess that on this list it is
steam powered.
Jared Harper
Athens, GA