Chateau Martin Wine Cars

Richard Hendrickson

On Aug 31, 2007, at 11:49 AM, Garth G. Groff wrote:

Thanks much. There were (probably still are) several large bulk
wineries
on the Tidewater Southern (now UP). So I based on what you say,
Chateau
Martin wine cars might have been regular visitors.
I think that's a relatively safe inference.

Richard Hendrickson

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Richard,

Thanks much. There were (probably still are) several large bulk wineries on the Tidewater Southern (now UP). So I based on what you say, Chateau Martin wine cars might have been regular visitors. Any such cars would have been turned over to the WP at Stockton and would likely have gone east via the WP/D&RGW/CB&Q. I've never seen a photo of a Chateau Martin car on the WP, but there are still lots of surprises to be found there.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Richard Hendrickson wrote:

On Aug 31, 2007, at 4:38 AM, Garth G. Groff wrote:

Did the TS serve a Chateau Martin winery?
I'm not aware that CM owned a winery in Tidewater Southern territory, but it wouldn't have mattered. CM bought cheap wines in bulk wherever they could get them, shipped them east, and bottled them under their own label for sale to those who were interested in what the Brits call "plonk." Premium wines from California, which are now recognized as world class, were not, at that time, widely distributed in other parts of the country, and in any case were notably absent from CM's marketing plan.

Richard Hendrickson

Richard Hendrickson

On Aug 31, 2007, at 4:38 AM, Garth G. Groff wrote:

Did the TS serve a Chateau Martin winery?
I'm not aware that CM owned a winery in Tidewater Southern territory,
but it wouldn't have mattered. CM bought cheap wines in bulk wherever
they could get them, shipped them east, and bottled them under their
own label for sale to those who were interested in what the Brits call
"plonk." Premium wines from California, which are now recognized as
world class, were not, at that time, widely distributed in other parts
of the country, and in any case were notably absent from CM's marketing
plan.

Richard Hendrickson

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Jim,

An excellent piece of research. Thanks much for sharing the photos, especially 171 on the Tidewater Southern. Did the TS serve a Chateau Martin winery? I would be very interested to know if the cars were frequent visitors to this line.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Lancaster James wrote:

From time to time there have been questions about the Chateau Martin wine cars owned by the Commodities Car Company (reporting marks CMWX). Using ORERs I have compiled a roster of the CMWX car fleet from 1950 (when they had 25 cars) to 1972 (down to 8 cars). The fleet peaked at 37 cars in the mid 1960s.

You can see the roster at
http://www.geocities.com/jim_lancaster.geo/chatmart/cmwx_roster_1.html

In addition to the roster, the web page includes a brief history, a few photos and some other Chateau Martin memorabilia.

Corrections or additions are welcome.

Jim Lancaster

Yahoo! Groups Links

Jim Lancaster