Detail part wish list?

Dean Payne

I've been wondering about a detail part wish list. Tops on my list
would be a lever-ratchet hang brake, a Universal or some other,
different from what comes on the Tichy sprue. (I found that I threw
out some when I built my Accurail USRA hoppers years ago!) I'm happy
to have the Tahoe Model Works trucks (Dalman and arch bar), and I
wonder what they'll do next. Does anybody make T-section Andrews trucks?
I was looking for side-mount double sill steps, but I think Des
Plaines Hobbies makes them. (Not that they're widely available...)
Ray Breyer and I were discussing the need for reverse Murphy ends for
NKP, C&O, etc... (although that's a pretty big "detail".)
I'm sure there's plenty that I left out, but I'm asking for opinions,
not trying to present an exhaustive list.
I'm just curious about what people feel is lacking. Plus, maybe I
could distract you guys from discussing naval guns any further... ;-)

Dean Payne

Bill Vaughn

How about a 16" navel gun for my Milw. flats. Referse
ends would be nice, Dreadnaught and Murphy.

Bill Vaughn
--- Dean Payne <1payne1@...> wrote:

[...]

http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

Tim O'Connor

Dean Payne wrote

I've been wondering about a detail part wish list.
A cast brass replacement air hose + bracket to replace
the beautiful, but incredibly delicate one, Branchline
included with their box cars. Applies to many other
freight cars too.

Pre-bent wire, with styrene or brass pipe hangers, to
replace the handrails on Proto 2000 and Intermountain
ACF tank cars. Getting the radius and shape correct on
the ends is not at all easy!

Big one -- a replacement frame for the Atlas 11k tank
car with open grid running boards, with a rolled edge
for stiffness. This is now possible with etched parts.
See this Athearn example on a modern intermodal car -
http://www.planomodelproducts.com/Maxi-I/ath-maxi1-a3-l.jpg

Smaller -- a replacement etched safety platform for the
Atlas 11k tank car (open grid).

Replacement etched ladders for P2K, IRC, Atlas tank cars.

(I have observed the lifespan of a fully intact plastic
tank car on a club layout is quite short due to fragility
of many of the plastic detail parts. And the handrails on
most of the cars sag, unless great care is taken when
building them.)

50 ton 'Chrysler' freight car trucks!! (The ones with the
shock absorber.)

Yes, that would be a good one. But I'd want it to
be made from aluminum stock, turned on a lathe.

For open loads, we need more big stuff like boilers,
generators, transformers, rotors, electrical gear.

At 8/31/2007 01:03 AM Friday, you wrote:
How about a 16" navel gun for my Milw. flats. Referse
ends would be nice, Dreadnaught and Murphy.

Bill Vaughn

al_brown03

Dalman-Andrews trucks!

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Dean Payne wrote

[...]

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Dean,

How about the "Y"-shaped safety valve cluster used on early AC&F tank cars? F&C's new tank car includes a spare or two, but this would be a nice part to have in styrene or metal available on the general market.

I would love to see a variety of tender-type caboose steps, particularly the type used on so-called "Gould Standard" (my term, not official) cars of the D&RG, WP and MP. As a matter of fact, it would be nice to have a decent kit for these cabooses. Model Railroading Warehouse has been promising one for years, but so far nada.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Dean Payne wrote:

[...]

Miller, Andrew S. <asmiller@...>

Be careful. Navel guns shoot belly button lint and occasionally
oranges. They are not frequently found on RR cars ;-)

regards,

Andy Miller

How about a 16" navel gun for my Milw. flats. Referse
ends would be nice, Dreadnaught and Murphy.

Bill Vaughn

Ray Breyer

Dean Payne <1payne1@...> wrote:
>>I've been wondering about a detail part wish list.

Boxcar ends! Tichy makes a few, as does Westerfield, but they're both woefully lacking in the basics. We need 7/7 Murphy, 7/6 Murphy, inward rib Murphy of all types, inward Hutchins, Vertical rib Vulcan, various makes of T-brace and composite ends...the list is vast!

For anyone modeling the 1920s through 1940s, having a good supply of "oddball" ends is a must. Scratching and bashing DS and SS boxcar sides, underframes and roofs isn't all that big a deal, but scratching a 7/7 inward rib Murphy end is beyond most of us on this list. Having a good supply of ends (that we don't have to cannibalize perfectly good resin kits for) will open up a large number of modeling opportunities (as you know Dean, the lack of Vulcan ends is the only thing holding me back from working on the Wheeling's 27000-series boxcars!)

Ray Breyer

---------------------------------
Building a website is a piece of cake.

Walter M. Clark

--- In STMFC@..., "Dean Payne" <1payne1@...> wrote:

I've been wondering about a detail part wish list.
The branch pipe Tee bracket for the air brakes. I understand Kadee
has it on their PS-1 but it isn't available separately. While we're
wishing for air brake parts, let's also get the dirt collectors.
Also, an accurate clevis (or several different) to use instead of half
of a truss rod turnbuckle. I'm sure there are other underframe/brake
parts needed, I just can't think of any more right now.

Time stopped in November 1941
Walter M. Clark
Riverside, California