Computers

Tim O'Connor

Tom

I guess that Martin also "has a life" as we like to say,
that has nothing to do with trains. More power to him.

That said, has Martin ever expressed any problem with someone
scanning his kit flyers and data sheets and just posting them
on a JPEG web site? Technically one would need his permission
to do so. I'll ask him at Naperville, if I can get his attention
for a whole minute... :-)

Tim O'Connor

Martin "does computers", he just refuses to "do the internet" or "do
email". For exactly the reasons Chuck states. He is also very careful
to whom he gives his telephone number. He has more labor-intensive
business than he can handle as it is, and is certainly not looking for
ways to attract more. It's a fairly defensive posture, irritating to
many. Martin is very aware of that but feels he just can't make himself
more available without giving up research or production time. It's his
business, being run in a way that works best for him. He has a right to
do that.

Tom Madden

Paul <buygone@...>

Tom:

Very well stated. I happen to agree with the way Martin runs Sunshine.

Paul C. Koehler

_____

I think that I can understand why Martin and others "don't do
computers". They bite into their limited time more than a phone
call does. Having to answer the e-mail might add an hour or two to
their day. ..... It also seems that a lot of the e-mails want
attention immediately...

Tom Madden <tgmadden@...>

Chuck Hladik wrote:

[...]

Charles Hladik

I think that I can understand why Martin and others "don't do computers".
They bite into their limited time more than a phone call does. Having to answer
the e-mail might add an hour or two to their day. Hey, these guys have
families too. True, a web site saves the cost of a printed catalog and mistakes
can be changed easily and quickly, but some of us "listers" bug the crap out
of manufacturers with little nit picky stuff that if we were really as
proficient as we think we are, might be answered by looking closer at the web page.
It also seems that a lot of the e-mails want attention immediately, gee, try
the phone, one doesn't sit at the computer just to see your e-mail.
A web site also seems, to many, to be a cheap way to contact someone. I
know that in the hobby shop that I have worked in, we would only get one or
two snail mails a month, where as we got tons of phone calls and e-mails. These
all took us away from the folks that would actually come to the shop.
There are many pro's and con's to looking for a freight car (required)
on a computer. If they don't want to use one just be happy that they are
fulfilling some of our kit needs.
Thanks,
Chuck Hladik