new HO fishbelly hopper?

Charles Hladik

Ed,
haven't seen the ad but it might be a Roundhouse/MDC kit.
Chuck Hladik

ed_mines

The fall HistoricRail catalog lists a "new" 55-Ton 2-Bay Fishbelly
hopper (LV, p.27) with die cast underframe and slope sheets.

My recollection is that the Stewart car had a plastic undeframe and
stamped weights like the traditional Athearn cars. The car in the
picture looks like it has molded on ladders; the Stewart car had
separate ladders. Is this a new mold?

Ed

Charles Hladik

Ben,
Read your other message, too. As I stated I haven't seen an ad. Was
thinking of all the old MDC zamac frames.
Chuck Hladik

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Ed Mines wrote:
"The fall HistoricRail catalog lists a "new" 55-Ton 2-Bay Fishbelly
hopper (LV, p.27) with die cast underframe and slope sheets.

My recollection is that the Stewart car had a plastic undeframe and
stamped weights like the traditional Athearn cars. The car in the
picture looks like it has molded on ladders; the Stewart car had
separate ladders. Is this a new mold?"

Not really. The model in the photo is the Atlas N scale fishbelly
twin:
http://tinyurl.com/yw9aqg
http://www.atlasrr.com/Images/NFreightCars/nfishbelly/41176.jpg
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/150-41279

The couplers are the dead giveaway that it's an N scale model. As for
the catalog copy, who knows? If someone on the list would like to risk
$14.95 plus shipping to find out and report results...

Ben Hom

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Chuck Hladik wrote:
"...haven't seen the ad but it might be a Roundhouse/MDC kit."

Based on what, Chuck?

Ben Hom

ed_mines

The ad listed the car as HO.

Are all the cars in the Atlas "Trainman" line new to Atlas?

Could this be an HO copy of an N scale car?

Are Athearn/MDC cars being produced overseas? Are ther new mold for any
of these cars?

Ed

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Ed,

Yes, some of the Roundhouse cars seem to have been retooled by Athearn. I vaguely remember seeing an advert, or perhaps a blurb on the box, claiming the venerable (and rather crude) Roundhouse PS-2 covered hopper has been retooled. I don't know if these cars are made in China (probably), but they certainly are assembled there.

Retooled or not, most of the Athearn/Roundhouse line is junk by the standards of this group, and much of it of dubious authenticity. I generally don't pay much attention to this stuff anymore. I have too many resin kits waiting assembly. :-&#92;

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

ed_mines wrote:

The ad listed the car as HO.

Are all the cars in the Atlas "Trainman" line new to Atlas?

Could this be an HO copy of an N scale car?

Are Athearn/MDC cars being produced overseas? Are ther new mold for any of these cars?

Ed

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Ed Mines wrote:
"The ad listed the car as HO."
True, but the photo, description, and price are of the N scale car.

"Are all the cars in the Atlas "Trainman" line new to Atlas?"
Mostly. The line does contain some cars previously released by
Atlas, most notably the offset twin hoppers released back in the
early 1990s with the incorrect double center side stake which was
corrected in later runs.

"Could this be an HO copy of an N scale car?"
Ed, anything is possible, but I doubt it as there is absolutely
nothing on Atlas' HO scale website regarding this model. Why don't
you do us a favor and order one of these cars and find out?

"Are Athearn/MDC cars being produced overseas? Are there new molds
for any of these cars?"

Most of the product line continues to be Athearn and MDC legacy
models; some have upgraded tooling (e.g., the styrene 36 ft boxcar
and reefer underframes; the use of the retooled MDC 40 ft 1937 AAR
body with scale size doors and tracks vice the old Athearn "claws
tooling for those releases); however, at least two completely new
steam era freight cars have been added: the 50 ft SFRD reefers
(Athearn), and the 40 ft milk cars (Roundhouse).

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Ben, you should qualify that "most of the line" with a "steam era".
No manufacturer has been busier than Athearn when it comes to
new freight car tooling -- but they are busiest when it comes to
freight cars built after 1960. More than a dozen excellent new cars
and more on the way.

Nevertheless, you overlooked the Athearn PS 2893, a car built from
1954 to around 1957-1958 (when the style changed), and the 65' mill
gondola -- correct for 1930's to 1950's. They've also recently upgraded
the SP ore cars (ex-MDC), first built in 1958. Athearn recently acquired
the Milepost Hobbies 40' Fruehauf trailers which are right on the edge
of our time limit of 1960.

From: "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@...>

"Are Athearn/MDC cars being produced overseas? Are there new molds
for any of these cars?"

Most of the product line continues to be Athearn and MDC legacy
models; some have upgraded tooling (e.g., the styrene 36 ft boxcar
and reefer underframes; the use of the retooled MDC 40 ft 1937 AAR
body with scale size doors and tracks vice the old Athearn "claws
tooling for those releases); however, at least two completely new
steam era freight cars have been added: the 50 ft SFRD reefers
(Athearn), and the 40 ft milk cars (Roundhouse).

Tim O'Connor

The retooled PS-2 has had the outlets corrected (at last) and it has
received a new see-through running board, improved trucks and of
course, outstanding and accurate paint schemes. For people who
don't want to spend $40 on the even better Kadee car, it's not a bad
compromise.

Not all Athearn / Roundhouse stuff is junk... and much of it can be
salvaged with some work. And the newly tooled stuff is great.

From: "Garth G. Groff" <ggg9y@...>

Tim O'Connor wrote:
"Ben, you should qualify that "most of the line" with a "steam era".
No manufacturer has been busier than Athearn when it comes to new
freight car tooling -- but they are busiest when it comes to freight
cars built after 1960. More than a dozen excellent new cars and more
on the way."

"Nevertheless, you overlooked the Athearn PS 2893, a car built from
1954 to around 1957-1958 (when the style changed), and the 65' mill
gondola -- correct for 1930's to 1950's. They've also recently
upgraded the SP ore cars (ex-MDC), first built in 1958. Athearn
recently acquired the Milepost Hobbies 40' Fruehauf trailers which
are right on the edge of our time limit of 1960."

Tim, thanks for the correction. Those models slipped through the
cracks as I was trying to catch up on two weeks of e-mails after
bieng away for reserves, help Al Buchan plan out TKM content through
the end of the year, and do the work ups for the upcoming combined
TB&OM/TKM/TS-CLM special issue.

Ben Hom

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Tim,

Correct. Athearn isn't all junk, and I didn't exactly say that it was. But too much of their older freight car line really is substandard for our purposes, especially when you compare them with Branchline, Proto 2000 or Intermountain. As for the PS-2s, if you can't afford a Kadee, then why not go for an Atlas instead of an Athearn? The price is about the same, and the Atlas car is far superior.

And yes, Athearn/Roundhouse have done a few recent steam-era cars that are quite good, the 65' gon and the large PS-2 you mentioned being two examples. The Roundhouse milk reefers are also nice (I bought two), though they lack a lot of underbody detail and don't contain all the grab irons needed to complete them.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

timboconnor@... wrote:

The retooled PS-2 has had the outlets corrected (at last) and it has
received a new see-through running board, improved trucks and of
course, outstanding and accurate paint schemes. For people who
don't want to spend $40 on the even better Kadee car, it's not a bad
compromise.

Not all Athearn / Roundhouse stuff is junk... and much of it can be
salvaged with some work. And the newly tooled stuff is great.

Tim O'Connor

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

None should forget the ATSF reefer which is all new tooling and very good.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Jon Miller wrote:
"None should forget the ATSF reefer which is all new tooling and very
good."

Already mentioned it. See post #66392.

Ben Hom

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Garth Groff wrote:
"As for the PS-2s, if you can't afford a Kadee, then why not go for
an Atlas instead of an Athearn? The price is about the same, and the
Atlas car is far superior."

Because they're two different cars. The ex-MDC model represents early
production PS-2s with channel side stakes at the bolsters and narrow
hatch spacing; the Atlas car represents late production cars with
pressed steel side stakes at the bolsters and wide hatch spacing. See
my article in the September/October 2006 issue of The B&O Modeler for
details:
http://borhs.org/ModelerMag/BO_Modeler_2_2006_SeptOct.pdf

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Garth, two reasons:

They are not the same car -- the Athearn/MDC has channel
corner posts, the Atlas has hat section corner posts.

And the Atlas car still has the bogus outlets detail.

If you need a third reason, Athearn's graphics are better. :-)

Me, personally, I'm sticking with the Kadee cars.

Tim

From: "Garth G. Groff" <ggg9y@...>

As for the PS-2s, if you can't afford a Kadee, then why not go for an
Atlas instead of an Athearn?

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Ben,

Absolutely right. But you can shave the outer Atlas ribs off and replace them with styrene strip or channel. I did this on one of my WP cars, saving the lettering. While I was at it, I replaced the cast grabs with real wire.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

benjaminfrank_hom wrote:

Garth Groff wrote:
"As for the PS-2s, if you can't afford a Kadee, then why not go for
an Atlas instead of an Athearn? The price is about the same, and the
Atlas car is far superior."

Because they're two different cars. The ex-MDC model represents early production PS-2s with channel side stakes at the bolsters and narrow hatch spacing; the Atlas car represents late production cars with pressed steel side stakes at the bolsters and wide hatch spacing. See my article in the September/October 2006 issue of The B&O Modeler for details:
http://borhs.org/ModelerMag/BO_Modeler_2_2006_SeptOct.pdf

Ben Hom

Yahoo! Groups Links

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Ed Mines wrote:
"The fall HistoricRail catalog lists a "new" 55-Ton 2-Bay Fishbelly
hopper (LV, p.2 7) with die cast underframe and slope sheets.

My recollection is that the Stewart car had a plastic undeframe and
stamped weights like the traditional Athearn cars. The car in the
picture looks like it has molded on ladders; the Stewart car had
separate ladders. Is this a new mold?"

Since nobody took up my challenge to order this car and report
findings, I ordered one off of the HistoricRail website. The package
arrived yesterday, and what I received was one Atlas N scale 55 ton
fishbelly hopper, stock number 41279. The catalog listing is
obviously in error, and despite the wishful thinking of some members
of this list, this is NOT new tooling for an HO scale fishbelly hopper.

Ben Hom

Richard Townsend

Way to take one for the team, Ben!

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, Oregon

"The fall HistoricRail catalog lists a "new" 55-Ton 2-Bay Fishbelly

hopper (LV, p.2 7) with die cast underframe and slope sheets.

My recollection is that the Stewart car had a plastic undeframe and

stamped weights like the traditional Athearn cars. The car in the

picture looks like it has molded on ladders; the Stewart car had

separate ladders. Is this a new mold?"

Since nobody took up my challenge to order this car and report

findings, I ordered one off of the HistoricRail website. The package

arrived yesterday, and what I received was one Atlas N scale 55 ton

fishbelly hopper, stock number 41279. The catalog listing is

obviously in error, and despite the wishful thinking of some members

of this list, this is NOT new tooling for an HO scale fishbelly hopper.

Ben Hom

#AOLMsgPart_2_9e186096-c363-449e-ad16-7e5a208e6beb

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

Ben,

Guess we will have to wait for the article on using that car to depict a live steam backyard operation for the layout. I give you credit for trying to figure it out just the same.
The complete story of adding hand grabs, etc. will make great reading in TKM.
I couldn't resist.

Fred Freitas