Topics

Images: Loading Barrels Into A Boxcar

Bob Chaparro <thecitrusbelt@...>

From the Los Angeles Public Library's digital collection, here are
links to three images showing barrels of liquor being loaded into a box
car:

http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics42/00040601.jpg

http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics42/00040602.jpg

http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics42/00040609.jpg

These images were taken in Wilmington, CA, which is in the port area
south of Los Angeles. There are no dates for the images, however.

The Library's digital collection can be searched at:

http://catalog1.lapl.org/cgi-bin/cw_cgi?getLimitedTerms+25041

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

James Eckman

Surprising just how many of these barrels and other goodies disappeared while being transshipped through LA harbor. Shrinkage on liquor shipments was rumored to be very high!

Jim Eckman

Tim O'Connor

Years ago I read that liquor boxes had a corner "punch out"
that longshoremen could break and remove a single bottle from
each case. This was done so they wouldn't break open the
whole case or steal it altogether.

At 9/16/2007 11:30 AM Sunday, you wrote:
Surprising just how many of these barrels and other goodies disappeared
while being transshipped through LA harbor. Shrinkage on liquor
shipments was rumored to be very high!

Jim Eckman

James Eckman

Posted by: "Tim O'Connor"
Years ago I read that liquor boxes had a corner "punch out"
that longshoremen could break and remove a single bottle from
each case. This was done so they wouldn't break open the
whole case or steal it altogether.
I was too young to get the exact details of such goings on. I just heard longshoremen relatives talking about it. Interesting thought though, has anybody else ever heard of such a thing? I was always under the impression that whole cases fell off the crane and disappeared to be properly shared out later.

Jim Eckman

W.R.Dixon

James Eckman wrote:
Posted by: "Tim O'Connor"

Years ago I read that liquor boxes had a corner "punch out"
that longshoremen could break and remove a single bottle from
each case. This was done so they wouldn't break open the
whole case or steal it altogether.
I was too young to get the exact details of such goings on. I just heard longshoremen relatives talking about it. Interesting thought though, has anybody else ever heard of such a thing? I was always under the impression that whole cases fell off the crane and disappeared to be properly shared out later.
Jim Eckman
In pallet load shipments it was quite common for the top center box to end up empty. That was the case when I briefly worked for a shirt importer one summer.

Bill Dixon