Freight car classes

Ferko <destron@...>

Is there a list somewhere that gives the class designations for freight
cars for each series of running numbers of the ATSF, UP and the B&O? I'd
most specifically be interested in the cars of the early 1950 (1950-1953).

Also: what other roads used such a system of in-house classification for
cars?

Frank Valoczy
Vancouver, BC

SUVCWORR@...

In a message dated 10/9/2007 7:43:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
destron@vcn.bc.ca writes:

I'd
most specifically be interested in the cars of the early 1950 (1950-1953).
The B&O Historical Society has some of these mostly hoppers and Boxcars.

Rich Orr

**************************************
See what's new at
http://www.aol.com

destron@vcn.bc.ca writes:

Also: what other roads used such a system of in-house classification for
cars?
PRR see Rob Schoenberg's site for this information
http://prr.railfan.net/freight/

Rich Orr

**************************************
See what's new at
http://www.aol.com

al_brown03

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Ferko" <destron@...> wrote:

<snip>

Also: what other roads used such a system of in-house classification
for
cars?
SAL and ACL both had freight-car classes, though Seaboard was a tad
casual about them. Some cars didn't have classes (e.g. the GF&A
boxcars); most of the boxcars re-built to stock cars were re-classified
but IIRC at least one wasn't.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

laramielarry <ostresh@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Ferko" <destron@...> wrote:
Is there a list somewhere that gives the class designations for
freight
cars for each series of running numbers of the ATSF, UP and the B&O?
Terry Metcalfe's book "Union Pacific Freight Cars: 1936-51" has this
information for the U.P. roster as of October 1951. I can send you an
Excel file version, if you want it.

Larry Ostresh
Laramie, Wyoming

jim_mischke <jmischke@...>

The B&OHS (www.borhs.org) sells a book in their Company
Store, "Freight Car Equipment 1917-1960" by Richard K. Daniels.

It is a printed spreadsheet of information found in each annual B&O
Summary of Equipment by type and class.

Check the B&OHS Company Store listings, stock number 74001, $14 plus
shipping.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Ferko" <destron@...> wrote:

Is there a list somewhere that gives the class designations for
freight
cars for each series of running numbers of the ATSF, UP and the
B&O? I'd
most specifically be interested in the cars of the early 1950 (1950-
1953).

Also: what other roads used such a system of in-house
classification for
cars?

Frank Valoczy
Vancouver, BC

Andy Sperandeo <asperandeo@...>

Hello Frank,

Car classes for AT&SF freight cars are listed in the book "Santa Fe Ry.
Listing of Freight Cars By Class and Car Number," by Larry Occhiello. It was
published jointly by the Santa Fe Modelers' Organization and the Santa Fe
Ry. Historical Society in 1991, but is unfortunately out of print today.
Other books available at the Santa Fe society's Web site, atsfrr,net, give
class designations for particular types of cars, such as ice refrigerators,
boxcars, furniture and automobile cars, and tank cars, but the Occhiello
book, which is based on the railroad's own "live lists" for various years,
is the only comprehensive reference.

So long,

Andy

Andy Sperandeo
Executive Editor
Model Railroader magazine
asperandeo@mrmag.com
262-796-8776, ext. 461
FAX 262-796-1142

Russ Strodtz <railfreightcars@...>

Rich,

As info the CB&Q did have a class system for freight cars but it
was internal to the Mechanical Department and the classes were not
lettered anywhere on the cars nor was there any listing generally
available. The only comprehensive listing that I have located in the
Mechanical Department archives was the original listing from the
20's when the system was created. That drawing was not, to my
knowledge, ever updated.

Cars belonging to the C&S and FW&D at times had CB&Q classes
applied to them but only if they were identical to an equivalent CB&Q
car. They had no system of their own.

To the best of my knowledge the GN, NP, and SP&S had no such
class system.

Beyond the time frame of this list neither the BN nor the BNSF have
any such system.

The AT&SF did have a class system, lettered on the cars, and known to
the railroad in general.

It can not be determined from the SLSF drawings whether they did or
did not have any class system. I have yet to figure out their system of
organization of drawings much less anything like a class system.

Russ