MAINE ''SPUD'' CARS( BAR/MEC ) & NH

SUVCWORR@...

In a message dated 10/19/2007 9:01:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
gglennlou@... writes:

Hi there,

Intermountain Railway Corporation

41799P R-40-10 Reefer kits Undec $15.50 ea
46706P R-40-10 BAR 6 diff #'s $32.95

These are one door type. Sunshine Models (out your way) has the 40'
plug-door reefers, but these are about $36 each.

MEC didn't have any reefers, except for 2 of the more modern, 60's era built

57 footers, and these were numbered 1 and 2.
What about the NH cars assigned to State of Maine Service? Were there any
such cars prior to the red, white and blue cars?

Rich Orr

**************************************
See what's new at
http://www.aol.com

Martin McGuirk <mjmcguirk@...>

All,

Don't confuse the B&As earlier cars -- including the 40-footers with the plug doors that were painted red, white, and blue, when delivered with any of the later cars. Although a number of companies have painted cars for the B&A in both the "shield" and SofM schemes, the resemblence between the prototypes and models are often cursory at best. I know someone, years ago, made a resin kit for the SoM cars (I believe it was F&C, perhaps for the NH group) that included many of the key components needed to accurately model these cars, including the charcoal heaters used to keep the inside of the "reefer" from getting too cold and freezing the produce.

Rich, the New Haven never had any cars "assigned to State of Maine" service. The NH tacked an order for their cars onto the B&As, and when they learned the builder would charge more to paint the cars in any scheme other than the red, white, and blue one the NH opted to use that paint scheme. But the NH cars were never assigned to the B&A in any way.

I've hear for years about the "B&A reefers running in the off season" out in California but have never seen a lot of photographic evidence of B&A cars in service out West. Surely, someone would have spent a frame or two on a red, white, and blue car in a sea of reefer yellow and orange??????

Marty

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

Marty, throughout your message you wrote "B&A". You mean "BAR", right?

KL

[...]

NHJJ4@...

In a message dated 10/20/2007 11:23:14 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
prrinvt@... writes:

"Boston & Albany", hmmm, that's one of those western railroads, isn't it?????
I think Boston Ma to "Albany Or. Ah er Yup a Big Class 1 RR
Jim

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

Marty wrote:
I've hear for years about the "B&A reefers running in the off season"
out in California but have never seen a lot of photographic evidence
of B&A cars in service out West. Surely, someone would have spent a
frame or two on a red, white, and blue car in a sea of reefer yellow
and orange??????
Top photo on page 389 of the PFE book.

Brian J Carlson P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Tim O'Connor

The best photos I've seen are from a Richard Steinheimer study
of Donner Pass in the 1960's in which a bunch of BAR ice reefers
can be seen mixed in with PFE reefers on a perishables train. It
appeared in Trains magazine but I don't recall the issue date.

( B&A is Boston & Albany. BAR is Bangor & Aroostook. )

Tim O'Connor

I've hear for years about the "B&A reefers running in the off season"
out in California but have never seen a lot of photographic evidence
of B&A cars in service out West. Surely, someone would have spent a
frame or two on a red, white, and blue car in a sea of reefer yellow
and orange??????
Marty

cvsne <mjmcguirk@...>

No, I meant, and quite deliberately chose, "B&A" -- as any good New Englander will tell you!!!

"Boston & Albany", hmmm, that's one of those western railroads, isn't it?????

Marty

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

Marty,

Not quite west >>Albany GA to Boston LA << LOL !!!!

Fred Freitas
who grew up watching 4-6-4T's and other steam power in Beacon Park Yard

cvsne <mjmcguirk@...> wrote:
No, I meant, and quite deliberately chose, "B&A" -- as any good New Englander will tell you!!!

"Boston & Albany", hmmm, that's one of those western railroads, isn't it?????

Marty

Roger Hinman <rhinman@...>

The reason there is no RW&B is none of the BAR reefers carried this
scheme, only the RBs which
probably were of little use in California traffic. This may have been
the reason the blue and white scheme with the brown spud
on the older wooden cars didn't last long but were repainted orange.
All of the new purchased cars came in the orange
scheme

Roger Hinman

On Oct 20, 2007, at 11:19 AM, Brian J Carlson wrote:

Marty wrote:
I've hear for years about the "B&A reefers running in the off
season"
out in California but have never seen a lot of photographic evidence
of B&A cars in service out West. Surely, someone would have spent a
frame or two on a red, white, and blue car in a sea of reefer yellow
and orange??????
Top photo on page 389 of the PFE book.

Brian J Carlson P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

Oops I missed the RW&B part of Marty's email. Sorry the photo I referenced
was of the older cars.

Brian J Carlson P.E.
Cheektowaga NY