----- Original Message -----
From: destron@vcn.bc.ca

Scratchbuilding the various extruded ends is, relatively speaking, not a
difficult thing (unless it's a Deco or certain NSC ends, maybe). But, when
it comes to ends with inverted ribs, I'm at a loss as to how to go about
building them, and the only idea I can come up with seems rather
unfeasible, or at least would be very time consuming and aggravating to
get all the ribs even: digging/cutting them out of the sheet.

Would anyone be able to give some suggestions as to how to approach this
problem? I'd buy them, were they available in TT scale, but they aren't...

Make a male pattern of the depressions and vacuum-form the ends out of plastic. PEEK is very good for this application, but IIRC others work fine, too. (I bought .010 PEEK for vac-forming, but I was considering it for clear aircraft canopies. I forget whether PEEK is the best plastic for vac-forming, or just the best *clear* plastic.)

Make a male mold and cast a pattern. Use this to make conventional RTV/resin molds and parts.

Grind the correct profile into milling cutter, mount some suitable material in your horizontal milling machine, and have at it.

KL

Andy Cich <ajc5150@...>

... But, when it comes to ends with inverted ribs, I'm at a loss as to how
to go about building them, and the only idea I can come up with seems rather
unfeasible, or at least would be very time consuming and aggravating to get
all the ribs even: digging/cutting them out of the sheet.

Build a negative, and then cast the end. Then add detail like rivets, nbw,
etc. to the casting.

Andy Cich