IMWX v. IM 10' door hardware

Rob Kirkham <rdkirkham@...>

I'm assembling a bunch of kits that I've had sitting around for quite a while and noticed that the door hardware at the bottom of the Youngstown (?) 6/6/6 (or is that 6/8/6? - how does one count the overlapping panel section?) doors in the two kits differ, with one a more rectangular shape and the other more triangular. Are these differences based on different prototype designs - and if so, can anyone provide names & dates when they were introduced or that sort of thing. Obvious;y for modelling if I just match a photo I won't go too wrong, but I'm curious....

Rob Kirkham

jim peters

Count the valleys and not the ones with the rivets.

For the IMWX kits the doors supplied with the kit are fine or use Sylvan 5/6/5-S and early Camel door fixtures. This will take you through all the '37 AAR cars built for CN to 1946 (10'-0" IH) . . . A quick check of my CP references and I can not see anything different.

Rob, if you're by Central Hobbies on Saturday stop in and say hello, I always enjoy meeting fellow rivet counters.

Jim Peters
Coquitlam, BC

To: STMFC@yahoogroups.comFrom: rdkirkham@shaw.caDate: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:50:15 -0700Subject: [STMFC] IMWX v. IM 10' door hardware

I'm assembling a bunch of kits that I've had sitting around for quite a while and noticed that the door hardware at the bottom of the Youngstown (?) 6/6/6 (or is that 6/8/6? - how does one count the overlapping panel section?) doors in the two kits differ, with one a more rectangular shape and the other more triangular. Are these differences based on different prototype designs - and if so, can anyone provide names & dates when they were introduced or that sort of thing. Obvious;y for modelling if I just match a photo I won't go too wrong, but I'm curious....Rob Kirkham

Are you ready for Windows Live Messenger Beta 8.5 ? Get the latest for free today!
http://entertainment.sympatico.msn.ca/WindowsLiveMessenger

Tim O'Connor

I think Speedwitch makes 10' doors with Camel roller lift devices also.
Joe Pennington made excellent replacement doors at one time for the
10' cars but I don't know what became of his masters...

From: jim peters <mikado2206@hotmail.com>

Count the valleys and not the ones with the rivets.

For the IMWX kits the doors supplied with the kit are fine or use Sylvan 5/6/5-S
and early Camel door fixtures. This will take you through all the '37 AAR cars
built for CN to 1946 (10'-0" IH) . . . A quick check of my CP references and I
can not see anything different.

Rob, if you're by Central Hobbies on Saturday stop in and say hello, I always
enjoy meeting fellow rivet counters.

Jim Peters
Coquitlam, BC

Rob Kirkham <rdkirkham@...>

Thanks Jim,

You've guessed correctly - I am doing both CPR and CNR cars. What I noticed in one resource on the CPR cars was the use of earlier style latch equipment. This includes a curved metal piece - see the photos of CP 228249 & CP 228236 at p.73 in Kline & Culotta's The Postwar Freight Car Fleet. These cars also use the more triangular shaped rolling mechanisms. The CNR car on p.70 - with NSC 2 end - appears to use the more rectangular shaped part. Too late for some of my models, but from here on I'll be more accurate.

I usually get into Central Hobbies Friday afternoon between 4 and 6 - I live too far away to get in most Saturdays, but I'll be at Trains '07, and might catch you there. Hal and Bill will be able to point me out.

Rob