Topics

True Line Trains HO Scale Canadian Prewar AAR Boxcars


benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>
 

Has anyone gotten a good look at these models? The photo with the
review on page 100 of the November 2007 issue of Model
Railroader "postage stamps" the models; the Hobbycraft website has
about the worst search engine I've seen (it is exceptionally non-
selective in the number of hits it returns). At first glance, the
details look a bit heavy, and I don't like the standoff of the
ladders. The list price of the models is $44.20, and I'm looking for
a second opinion before I set aside my kitbashing projects for these
cars and invest in these new models; however, I'm loathe to spend that
much money on models I'll have to rework.


Ben Hom


pierreoliver2003 <pierre.oliver@...>
 

Ben,
While the cars are a commercial success and it's great that the unique
features of the Canadian versions of the '37 AAR boxcar are being made
available in a RTR unit, I have to agree with your feelings on this
offering from True Line Trains.

There are also a couple of small errors in the lettering of the cars
as they come from the factory. There is a set of C.N. initials on the
doors which should not be there and the version offered without herald
has the dimensional data in the wrong location.

I too found the bracket grabs and other such details rather heavy.
I've also noted that the cars seem to cast in the correct colour
plastic rather than actually being painted, which gives the cars an
odd appearance to me. I imagine that a good weathering job would deal
with that issue.

I have need of dozens of these cars in all their variants and will
continue to create them using the aftermarket parts and details as
described by Stafford Swain in RMC all those years ago now. It will
cost about the same and I'll the fun of building the cars. And I get
to use the lovely decal sets from Black Cat Publishing.

Pierre Oliver

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@...> wrote:

Has anyone gotten a good look at these models? The photo with the
review on page 100 of the November 2007 issue of Model
Railroader "postage stamps" the models; the Hobbycraft website has
about the worst search engine I've seen (it is exceptionally non-
selective in the number of hits it returns). At first glance, the
details look a bit heavy, and I don't like the standoff of the
ladders. The list price of the models is $44.20, and I'm looking for
a second opinion before I set aside my kitbashing projects for these
cars and invest in these new models; however, I'm loathe to spend that
much money on models I'll have to rework.


Ben Hom


Eric Hansmann
 

Ben Hom wrote:

Has anyone gotten a good look at these models? The photo with the review on page 100 of the
November 2007 issue of Model Railroader "postage stamps" the models; the Hobbycraft website has
about the worst search engine I've seen (it is exceptionally non- selective in the number of
hits it returns). At first glance, the details look a bit heavy, and I don't like the standoff
of the ladders. The list price of the models is $44.20, and I'm looking for a second opinion
before I set aside my kitbashing projects for these cars and invest in these new models;
however, I'm loathe to spend that much money on models I'll have to rework.

====================================


Ben,

The Canadian Model Trains site has better iages. Just scroll down a bit at their home page and
there are four links to take you to bigger images.
http://www.modeltrains.com/

Eric Hansmann
Morgantown, W. Va.


Rob Kirkham <rdkirkham@...>
 

Ben, I have about a half dozen of these cars, all with the NSC 1 ends. (I needed better variety, but bought what I could get my hands on so far). I've modified them all. Here are my modelling notes to date:
1) the side ladders are mounted somewhat further from the ends than I think is correct. I sliced them off and moved them. I was in a hurry so didn't replace the ladders on most of these but they do feel heavy until weathering - which makes them disappear to a degree. I don't feel they are different from the Tichy Canadian ladders for bulkiness. I tried to slice out the rungs on one and glue in new ones. That works, but I didn't find it work the effort. YMMV. (Most people up here comment that this location is acceptable to them. They suggest it was because the mounting pins could not be cast through if mounted closer to the ends.)
2) the lateral running boards also line up a little bit inward from the ends. I sliced off the running boards, separated them from the longitudinal running boards, and reattached using styrene strip to form the mounting parts that curl down over the side.
3) the tack boards, and routing card holders are too thick. I sliced these off and replaced with thinner parts.
4) The bracket grab irons can also be replaced. I chose to substitute wire or styrene rod between the mounts. In some cases I chose to just live with the model as is.
5) I added a styrene bracket for the coupler lift bars and shaped these from brass wire.
6) I removed the centre sill from the ends to the bolster as well as the coupler box and installed Sergent couplers with the Accurail coupler box - they look very nice.
7) I cut out the bulky poorly detailed air reservoir for the AB brakes and moved it to its correct location for these particular cars on the same side as the valve and cylinder. Added brass or styrene piping detail as required, but left the remaining brake gear in place.
8) added brake hoses. (Am currently rethinking my mounting choices).
9) the most enjoyable fact about these cars - the lettering can be removed very quickly and very easily using the orange based pumice filled automotive hand cleansers. Because these are thick, you can quite literally place a goopy drop on a particular letter or group of letters, wait 5 to 10 minutes and return with a soft watercolour paint brush and very gently push the lettering off the model without seriously disturbing the paint below.
10) the cars are painted in a good match for CPR Red #11, and so its easy to re touch any messed up paint. Personally, for a weathered car, I'd like to see that colour with a little less intensity its hard to weather it down.
11) the underside and trucks on the early cars were initially black - I have to paint mine a dirty black missed that step first time around.
12) I re-decaled with the Black Cat set where necessary, dulcoated, weathered and dullcoated again.

The result - cars I am very happy with. I'll try to post a snap shot or two to the files section.

Rob Kirkham

----- Original Message -----
From: "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@worldnet.att.net>
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2007 1:49 AM
Subject: [STMFC] True Line Trains HO Scale Canadian Prewar AAR Boxcars


Has anyone gotten a good look at these models? The photo with the
review on page 100 of the November 2007 issue of Model
Railroader "postage stamps" the models; the Hobbycraft website has
about the worst search engine I've seen (it is exceptionally non-
selective in the number of hits it returns). At first glance, the
details look a bit heavy, and I don't like the standoff of the
ladders. The list price of the models is $44.20, and I'm looking for
a second opinion before I set aside my kitbashing projects for these
cars and invest in these new models; however, I'm loathe to spend that
much money on models I'll have to rework.


Ben Hom




Yahoo! Groups Links





--
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.15.19/1106 - Release Date: 11/2/2007 9:46 PM


Rob Kirkham <rdkirkham@...>
 

One other detail change - I substituted a Kadee Ajax brake wheel for each car. The ones in the kit look like? Universal perhaps. Not bad, but I think incorrect for the NSC 1 cars.

Rob Kirkham

----- Original Message -----
From: "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@worldnet.att.net>
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2007 1:49 AM
Subject: [STMFC] True Line Trains HO Scale Canadian Prewar AAR Boxcars


Has anyone gotten a good look at these models? The photo with the
review on page 100 of the November 2007 issue of Model
Railroader "postage stamps" the models; the Hobbycraft website has
about the worst search engine I've seen (it is exceptionally non-
selective in the number of hits it returns). At first glance, the
details look a bit heavy, and I don't like the standoff of the
ladders. The list price of the models is $44.20, and I'm looking for
a second opinion before I set aside my kitbashing projects for these
cars and invest in these new models; however, I'm loathe to spend that
much money on models I'll have to rework.


Ben Hom




Yahoo! Groups Links





--
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.15.19/1106 - Release Date: 11/2/2007 9:46 PM


Rob Kirkham <rdkirkham@...>
 

I've added some photos I took this morning to the files section under the title CNR 1937 AAR TLT cars. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC/files/

Rob Kirkham


golden1014
 

Good luck getting one, Ben. They sold out about a half hour after they
hit the distributor. They're supposedly going to do a second run soon.

John

John Golden
Bloomington, IN


--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@...> wrote:

Has anyone gotten a good look at these models? The photo with the
review on page 100 of the November 2007 issue of Model
Railroader "postage stamps" the models; the Hobbycraft website has
about the worst search engine I've seen (it is exceptionally non-
selective in the number of hits it returns). At first glance, the
details look a bit heavy, and I don't like the standoff of the
ladders. The list price of the models is $44.20, and I'm looking for
a second opinion before I set aside my kitbashing projects for these
cars and invest in these new models; however, I'm loathe to spend
that
much money on models I'll have to rework.


Ben Hom


Tim O'Connor
 

Ben, I've uploaded photos of two cars John Riddell brought to the
RPM meet in Connecticut last June. Note the TRUCKS -- those are the
only plastic spring-plank AAR trucks out there other than Accurail's
and they are 50 ton and a different style. I wish TLT would sell the
trucks separately!

Tim O'Connor

Ben Hom wrote:

Has anyone gotten a good look at these models? The photo with the review on page 100 of the
November 2007 issue of Model Railroader "postage stamps" the models; the Hobbycraft website has
about the worst search engine I've seen (it is exceptionally non- selective in the number of
hits it returns). At first glance, the details look a bit heavy, and I don't like the standoff
of the ladders. The list price of the models is $44.20, and I'm looking for a second opinion
before I set aside my kitbashing projects for these cars and invest in these new models;
however, I'm loathe to spend that much money on models I'll have to rework.

====================================


Ben,

The Canadian Model Trains site has better iages. Just scroll down a bit at their home page and
there are four links to take you to bigger images.
http://www.modeltrains.com/

Eric Hansmann
Morgantown, W. Va.


Robert Daniels
 

I believe those trucks are made by Model Power. They are available from Walthers, et al.

Rob Daniels
New York, NY

Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@comcast.net> wrote:
Ben, I've uploaded photos of two cars John Riddell brought to the
RPM meet in Connecticut last June. Note the TRUCKS -- those are the
only plastic spring-plank AAR trucks out there other than Accurail's
and they are 50 ton and a different style. I wish TLT would sell the
trucks separately!

Tim O'Connor

>Ben Hom wrote:
>
>Has anyone gotten a good look at these models? The photo with the review on page 100 of the
>November 2007 issue of Model Railroader "postage stamps" the models; the Hobbycraft website has
>about the worst search engine I've seen (it is exceptionally non- selective in the number of
>hits it returns). At first glance, the details look a bit heavy, and I don't like the standoff
>of the ladders. The list price of the models is $44.20, and I'm looking for a second opinion
>before I set aside my kitbashing projects for these cars and invest in these new models;
>however, I'm loathe to spend that much money on models I'll have to rework.
>
>====================================
>
>
>Ben,
>
>The Canadian Model Trains site has better iages. Just scroll down a bit at their home page and
>there are four links to take you to bigger images.
>http://www.modeltrains.com/
>
>Eric Hansmann
>Morgantown, W. Va.





__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com


Dan Stainton
 

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Hansmann" <eric@...> wrote:

Ben Hom wrote:

Has anyone gotten a good look at these models? The photo with the
review on page 100 of the
November 2007 issue of Model Railroader "postage stamps" the
models; the Hobbycraft website has
about the worst search engine I've seen (it is exceptionally non-
selective in the number of
hits it returns). At first glance, the details look a bit heavy,
and I don't like the standoff
of the ladders. The list price of the models is $44.20, and I'm
looking for a second opinion
before I set aside my kitbashing projects for these cars and invest
in these new models;
however, I'm loathe to spend that much money on models I'll have to
rework.

====================================
Also, try George's Trains in Toronto.

Dan Stainton






rfederle@...
 

I dont know if anyone tried yet or not but the Canadian Model Trains site has some closeup photos for the 1937 / 1944 cars if those are the ones in question.

the site is at www.modeltrains.com

Robnert Federle
---- dands54 <dands54@yahoo.com> wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Hansmann" <eric@...> wrote:

Ben Hom wrote:

Has anyone gotten a good look at these models? The photo with the
review on page 100 of the
November 2007 issue of Model Railroader "postage stamps" the
models; the Hobbycraft website has
about the worst search engine I've seen (it is exceptionally non-
selective in the number of
hits it returns). At first glance, the details look a bit heavy,
and I don't like the standoff
of the ladders. The list price of the models is $44.20, and I'm
looking for a second opinion
before I set aside my kitbashing projects for these cars and invest
in these new models;
however, I'm loathe to spend that much money on models I'll have to
rework.

====================================
Also, try George's Trains in Toronto.

Dan Stainton


benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>
 

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback on these models, especially
Rob Kirkham who provided details on the necessary modifications to
bting these cars up to snuff. I have to say that I'm disappointed -
for a list price of $44.20, one shouldn't have to do so many
corrections, including stripping and repainting the car. The
comments by some regarding the ladder stand-off distance is
especially ludicrous - "...they suggest it was because the mounting
pins could not be cast through if mounted closer to the ends" is a
poor excuse, especially in light of the fact that Kadee seems to
have no problem executing this detail.

Frankly, I'm not impressed by the last three mass-run Canadian
boxcar models (the other two were the Herpa/Trains Canada NSC-3 end
postwar boxcars and the Life-Like of Canada Dominion (Fowler)
boxcar). All three fill significant holes, and the execution of all
three models has been disappointing, especially given their price.
(My interst in these cars is that we need more than a few of these
cars for the NEB&W, a fact borne out by analysis of the shifting
lists in Armand's collection.)

I concur with Pierre's assessment - for the time being, I've got
plenty of Sylvan parts and will continue to follow Stafford Swain's
RMC article to do these cars.


Ben Hom


benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>
 

Tim O'Connor wrote:
"I've uploaded photos of two cars John Riddell brought to the RPM meet
in Connecticut last June. Note the TRUCKS -- those are the
only plastic spring-plank AAR trucks out there other than Accurail's
and they are 50 ton and a different style."

Rob Daniels wrote:
"I believe those trucks are made by Model Power."

Sorry, Rob, but I don't agree. The trucks under the TLT model are
different from any Model Power trucks that I've seen. Can you cite a
part number?


Ben Hom


Robert Daniels
 

Hi Ben,

They look very much like the "Bettendorf" trucks that I've recently purchased from Model Power. Basically they resemble the Accurail "Bettendorf" but with more defined spring planks and without the lettering on the sideframes. I can try to find a part number when I'm at home later.

Rob Daniels
New York, NY

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@worldnet.att.net> wrote: Tim O'Connor wrote:
"I've uploaded photos of two cars John Riddell brought to the RPM meet
in Connecticut last June. Note the TRUCKS -- those are the
only plastic spring-plank AAR trucks out there other than Accurail's
and they are 50 ton and a different style."

Rob Daniels wrote:
"I believe those trucks are made by Model Power."

Sorry, Rob, but I don't agree. The trucks under the TLT model are
different from any Model Power trucks that I've seen. Can you cite a
part number?

Ben Hom






---------------------------------
Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. Make Yahoo! your homepage.


pierreoliver2003 <pierre.oliver@...>
 

If you visit the Trueline Trains website;
http://www.hobbycraft.com/tlt/html/accessories.html
You will see that their trucks are available seperately.
Pierre Oliver

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@...> wrote:

Tim O'Connor wrote:
"I've uploaded photos of two cars John Riddell brought to the RPM
meet
in Connecticut last June. Note the TRUCKS -- those are the
only plastic spring-plank AAR trucks out there other than
Accurail's
and they are 50 ton and a different style."

Rob Daniels wrote:
"I believe those trucks are made by Model Power."

Sorry, Rob, but I don't agree. The trucks under the TLT model are
different from any Model Power trucks that I've seen. Can you
cite a
part number?


Ben Hom


rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>
 

I visited by a very pleasant True Line rep at their display at
Trainfest. Aren't Canadians pleasant people, especially now that their
money is worth more than ours. Anyway, he said the response to their
products has been overwhelming and they can't make the stuff fast
enough, so don't expect any changes because of feedback from this group.
Clark (I have my RC/Sylvan model) Propst


benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>
 

Clark Propst wrote:
"I visited by a very pleasant True Line rep at their display at
Trainfest. Aren't Canadians pleasant people, especially now that their
money is worth more than ours. Anyway, he said the response to their
products has been overwhelming and they can't make the stuff fast
enough, so don't expect any changes because of feedback from this
group."

I really didn't expect them to make any changes; however, it's
extremely frustrating to see something done poorly that could have
easily been executed correctly if someone had done their homework.
It's especially frustrating to see hobbyists reward mediocrity, but
that's the story of railroad modeling.


Ben Hom


rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>
 

it's
extremely frustrating to see something done poorly that could have
easily been executed correctly if someone had done their homework.
It's especially frustrating to see hobbyists reward mediocrity, but
that's the story of railroad modeling.


Ben Hom
Can't argue with that Ben. Coming to CCB?
Clark Propst


Larry Grubb <larry450sl@...>
 

Ben,
While I completely share your frustration, it is not true that a company can "easily" produce prototypically accurate scale models at the level that would please most people on this list, even when the company has done it's homework. Translating photos and drawings of the prototype into injection molds is not easily done. (Add in cost constraints, and it just gets harder.) Because a company has the ability to make an injection molded part, that does not mean they have the ability to make excellent injection molded parts. Yugo can make a car, but it is not the case that they could "easily" make Ferraris if they would "just do their homework".
Larry Grubb,
Who has produced both Yugos and Ferraris, of sorts.

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
Clark Propst wrote:
"I visited by a very pleasant True Line rep at their display at
Trainfest. Aren't Canadians pleasant people, especially now that their
money is worth more than ours. Anyway, he said the response to their
products has been overwhelming and they can't make the stuff fast
enough, so don't expect any changes because of feedback from this
group."

I really didn't expect them to make any changes; however, it's
extremely frustrating to see something done poorly that could have
easily been executed correctly if someone had done their homework.
It's especially frustrating to see hobbyists reward mediocrity, but
that's the story of railroad modeling.

Ben Hom






---------------------------------
Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. Make Yahoo! your homepage.


benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>
 

Larry Grubb wrote:
"While I completely share your frustration, it is not true that a
company can "easily" produce prototypically accurate scale models at
the level that would please most people on this list, even when the
company has done it's homework. Translating photos and drawings of the
prototype into injection molds is not easily done. (Add in cost
constraints, and it just gets harder.) Because a company has the
ability to make an injection molded part, that does not mean they have
the ability to make excellent injection molded parts. Yugo can make a
car, but it is not the case that they could "easily" make Ferraris if
they would "just do their homework"."

Roger that, Larry, but that doesn't excuse the paint and lettering
screwups on these models.


Ben Hom