From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of leakinmywaders
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 11:33 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Proto-West 70ton flat car kits

There were a few reports posted on this list a while back of slow
delivery in response to orders of these resin kits for 70-ton
AAR-design 52ft 6in flat cars.

http://www.protowestmodels.com/ProtoWest_HO_Kits.htm

Have the delivery delays been cleared up? And can anyone who's got
one in hand or built one up perhaps share a brief report? I'm
thinking of placing an order...Thnx,

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT

Gatwood, Elden J SAD <Elden.J.Gatwood@...>

Guys;

I built one up and wrote a review for B&O Modeler. It is a very nice
one-piece casting for the frame sans deck. There are a few problems which
are correctable, mostly with the "add-ons". Mine was missing the plate on
which the brake ratchet is mounted, so I had to make my own. I got a photo
of the B end details from one of the great members on this list. You also
have to test-fit the deck casting on top of the frame and then mark and
enlarge (or move sideways or enlarge inboard) the notches in the deck above
the pockets, but it wasn't that much of a big deal. You may want to do a few
little detail additions like adding the poling loops and the holes in the
center of the pockets, which was also easy to do. My biggest problem had to
do with the instructions, which in some ways were OK, but entirely lacking in
prototype data (I would have liked to see number series' and dates) or
much-needed photos of either proto or model. The decals are good. It builds
up into a nice model. I am hoping they offer some other roads with the
quality of decals found in the B&O set (like both NYC schemes, for instance).

Let me know if you want me to send you a pic.

Elden Gatwood

________________________________

I have one "in hand" but it's also still "in box." VERY nice castings. I
can't really comment much
more than that. I know they are shipping them now. What I don't know is what
sort of production
capacity they have.

SGL

There were a few reports posted on this list a while back of slow
delivery in response to orders of these resin kits for 70-ton
AAR-design 52ft 6in flat cars.

http://www.protowestmodels.com/ProtoWest_HO_Kits.htm
<http://www.protowestmodels.com/ProtoWest_HO_Kits.htm>

Have the delivery delays been cleared up? And can anyone who's got
one in hand or built one up perhaps share a brief report? I'm
thinking of placing an order...Thnx,

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT

Larry Wolohon

--- In STMFC@..., "leakinmywaders" <leakinmywaders@...>
wrote:

There were a few reports posted on this list a while back of slow
delivery in response to orders of these resin kits for 70-ton
AAR-design 52ft 6in flat cars.

http://www.protowestmodels.com/ProtoWest_HO_Kits.htm

Have the delivery delays been cleared up? And can anyone who's got
one in hand or built one up perhaps share a brief report? I'm
thinking of placing an order...Thnx,

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT
I have almost finished building the the 2 cars(2 cars/set) that I
bought last summer @ the National Train show in Detroit. They are
ready to be decalled. They are nice models, the body castings are
very nice. The cars match the plans I found in 1943 Car Builders
Cyclopedia, reprinted by Newton Gregg, Train Shed Cyclopedia #17.
They go together well. The biggest issue is adding weight, which I am
going to do putting in the loads that I mount on these cars. They
look a whole lot better after they have been painted.

I noticed in their website that they are advertsing the D&RGW
cabooses as being available, which they were showing as an upcoming
model a couple of months ago, so they (ProtoWest) must be active.

Larry W.

tchenoweth@...

How does this model compare to the Sunshine Ft-V? Tom Chenoweth

gary laakso

Very slow, my June 15 order is not here yet.

There were a few reports posted on this list a while back of slow
delivery in response to orders of these resin kits for 70-ton
AAR-design 52ft 6in flat cars.

http://www.protowestmodels.com/ProtoWest_HO_Kits.htm

Have the delivery delays been cleared up? And can anyone who's got
one in hand or built one up perhaps share a brief report? I'm
thinking of placing an order...Thnx,

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT

Steve SANDIFER

Mine came by return mail - very fast (ATSF version)
J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@...