N&W FD Flatcars from N&W Historical Society-Thoughts?

ogdentowebercanyon

I noticed that the N&W Historical Society sells N&W FD flatcars? They
say high quality but don't mention who makes the cars? Anyone know.
Are they pre-painted kits such as a Red Caboose? Thanks.

http://www.nwhs.org/commissary/models.html

Jason Sanford

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Jason Sanford asked:
"I noticed that the N&W Historical Society sells N&W FD flatcars?
They say high quality but don't mention who makes the cars? Anyone
know. Are they pre-painted kits such as a Red Caboose?"

http://www.nwhs.org/commissary/models.html

These are custom decorated Red Caboose kits. According to Jim Brewer
in post #25482, the kit is close but not exact.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Isn't an FD a depressed center flat car?

From: "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@...>
Jason Sanford asked:
"I noticed that the N&W Historical Society sells N&W FD flatcars?
They say high quality but don't mention who makes the cars? Anyone
know. Are they pre-painted kits such as a Red Caboose?"

http://www.nwhs.org/commissary/models.html

These are custom decorated Red Caboose kits. According to Jim Brewer
in post #25482, the kit is close but not exact.

Ben Hom

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Tim O'Connor asked:
"Isn't an FD a depressed center flat car?"

Normally, yes, but in this specific case, it's N&W CLASS FD:
http://spec.lib.vt.edu./imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns2491.jpeg
http://spec.lib.vt.edu./imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns2490.jpeg

Ben Hom

ogdentowebercanyon

What year were these cars built? Looked through the archives and
mentioned posts but didn't see anything about build dates. Thanks.

Jason Sanford

These are custom decorated Red Caboose kits. According to Jim Brewer
in post #25482, the kit is close but not exact.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Thanks. 11 unevenly spaced stake pockets... hmmm doesn't the old
Athearn 40 foot flat have 11 (evenly spaced) stake pockets? Does the
spacing of the Red Caboose pockets match this N&W flat?

From: "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@...>
Tim O'Connor asked:
"Isn't an FD a depressed center flat car?"

Normally, yes, but in this specific case, it's N&W CLASS FD:
http://spec.lib.vt.edu./imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns2491.jpeg
http://spec.lib.vt.edu./imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns2490.jpeg

Ben Hom

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Jason Sanford asked:
"What year were these cars built? Looked through the archives and
mentioned posts but didn't see anything about build dates."

It's a bit tough to make out, but it looks like 1912 from the Virginia
Tech NS collection photo that I linked earlier this afternoon:

Tim O'Connor wrote:
"Thanks. 11 unevenly spaced stake pockets... hmmm doesn't the old
Athearn 40 foot flat have 11 (evenly spaced) stake pockets?"

Yes.

"Does the spacing of the Red Caboose pockets match this N&W flat?"

No. Additionally, the Red Caboose flat has 12 stake pockets.
http://www.red-caboose.com/Product_Photos/Details/ho_flat_side.jpg

Ben Hom

James F. Brewer <jfbrewer@...>

Jason,

They are the Red Caboose kit; the Society has done several runs of these cars.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD

I noticed that the N&W Historical Society sells N&W FD flatcars? They
say high quality but don't mention who makes the cars? Anyone know.
Are they pre-painted kits such as a Red Caboose? Thanks.

http://www.nwhs.org/commissary/models.html

Jason Sanford

James F. Brewer <jfbrewer@...>

Tim,

FD was the N&W class, not the AAR class.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD

Isn't an FD a depressed center flat car?

From: "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@...>