Western Refrigerator 9000-series Lessee

Andy Laurent <arlaurent@...>

Bob, I would say that car has the standard gray/freight car red WRX
scheme. Either the color on the slide has shifted, or it was dirty. A
light coating of brown dust oftentimes made the light gray sides
appear yellowish.

These cars were used by/lease to the GB&W. WRX was a GB&W subsidiary.
In the 1960s, cars began to be leased to specific industries, but in
the time period of this list, they were in general reefer service for
GB&W customers including cheese, evap milk, potatoes, and such.

Check out this link for some photos:
<http://www.greenbayroute.com/photoroster.htm#Refrig.>

Andy Laurent

Bob

I have pre-1960 scans of WRX 9047, 9099, both leased to GB&W.
They are b/w so I can't say what the paint scheme is, but as
far as I know, GB&W cars only had gray sides.

Tim O'Connor

At 11/18/2007 11:36 PM Sunday, you wrote:
A partial view of 40' wood reefer WRX #9048 appears in a photo
posted
on STMFC (see AC&Y ex-P&N boxcars). I had not noticed the Western
Refrigerator Lines Reefer before. The photo was taken by Ed
Kirstatter
at AC&Y's East Akron yard in 1959. Curious if there are records
for
the ca 1950's lessors of WRX 9000-series reefers... who leased WRX
#9048? No other identification is visible except the end
reporting
marks. WRX #9048 has pale yellow sides with freight car red ends
and
roof. Note Accurail and Branchline both offer WRX 9000-series
reefers
(Green Bay & Western, lessor) in a grey scheme.

Richard Hendrickson

On Nov 19, 2007, at 7:45 AM, Andy Laurent wrote:

These cars were used by/lease to the GB&W. WRX was a GB&W subsidiary.
In the 1960s, cars began to be leased to specific industries, but in
the time period of this list, they were in general reefer service for
GB&W customers including cheese, evap milk, potatoes, and such.
A small correction. WRX was a subsidiary of the Northwestern
Refrigerator Line, which was in turn a subsidiary of the Chicago &
Northwestern Rwy. WRX was formed for the purpose of leasing NWX-owned
reefers to the Green Bay & Western. In the 1960s ownership of the
Northwestern Refrigerator Line was acquired by the North American Car
Corp., and North American leased the NWX cars back to the C&NW.

Richard Hendrickson

Thomas Baker

________________________________

I just picked up on the discussion about WRX leasing and its relation to the North Western Refrigerator Lines. Perhaps someone out there can clarify something that has puzzled me for years. I have a photo taken in 1964 of a plug-door, insulated refrigerator car in the reporting marks of the North Western Refrigerator Lines but with a CGW so-called "Lucky Strike" emblem on the opposite side of where the reporting marks are.

I had no idea that the CGW leased refrigerator cars from any source other than URTX. Could this have been a painting mistake. It's hard to believe that someone in the paint shop would have made such a slip up. Nineteen sixty four is four years before the C&NW absorbed the CGW. Any explanations?

Tp,

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

I have a photo taken in 1964 of a plug-door, insulated refrigerator
car in the reporting marks of the North Western Refrigerator Lines but
with a CGW so-called "Lucky Strike" emblem on the opposite side of
where the reporting marks are.

I have a similar photo (Howard Ameling?) and a couple taken later with
a fresh paint square over where the CGW emblem was.
Clark Propst

Thomas Baker

I can't figure this one out. What do you make of it, Clark?

Tom

________________________________

I have a photo taken in 1964 of a plug-door, insulated refrigerator
car in the reporting marks of the North Western Refrigerator Lines but
with a CGW so-called "Lucky Strike" emblem on the opposite side of
where the reporting marks are.

I have a similar photo (Howard Ameling?) and a couple taken later with
a fresh paint square over where the CGW emblem was.
Clark Propst

Yahoo! Groups Links

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Thomas Baker" <bakert@...> wrote:

I can't figure this one out. What do you make of it, Clark?

Tom

I think this belongs on the CGW group because it's too new for here.
See you there.
Clark Propst

Jerry <jrs060@...>

No Richard, your wrong. Northwestern Refrigerator Line (NWX) was
NOT a subsidiary of the C&NW, although it was closely-allied with
the C&NW and provided refrigerator car for them. It's ownership
passed to North American Car Company in 1946, not in the 1960's as
you stated. The herald that NWX used on it's cars is indeed the
C&NW ball and bar style, but it is not a C&NW herald, and should
not be confused with it.

Regards,

Jerry Stewart

Woodstock, Illinois

--- In STMFC@..., Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...>

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Jerry Stewart wrote:
The herald that NWX used on it's cars is indeed the C&NW ball and bar style, but it is not a C&NW herald, and should not be confused with it.
Well, Jerry, it's the same color and size, says "NorthWestern" along the bar as does the C&NW emblem, and on many cars even has "N.W.X." in a small bar underneath, exactly like the little bar which says "C.&N.W." on the C&NW cars. In the circle above the bar, it says "Refrigerator" and underneath, "Line" whereas the C&NW version substitutes only the word "The" in place of "Refrigerator." Obviously it's an emblem for the refrigerator operation, but mirrors in all possible respects the C&NW herald. You will have to go a ways to convince me that this is a coincidence.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Jerry <jrs060@...>

My dear fellow, it surpises me that you did not know this. The
ownership of NWX is an old mid-westerners trick quistion!
As you have already answered yourself about the similarities and
differences in the heralds, will just point you to the ownership
references. The most informative artical to me (sorry Clark I have
not read the Northwestern Lines artical) was the story of North-
western Rifrigerator Line that appeared in the December 1988 issue
of RMC on page #88 by Joe Follmar. But if you are lazy, like me most
of the time, you can find a thumbnail of the company on Wikipedia.
As I said, it was privately owened and not a subsidiary of the
C&NW railroad.
Now were did I put that holiday music CD, Amos Milburn with the
Chicken Shack Boogie. It's around here someplace?

Holiday Regards,

Jerry Stewart

Woodstock, Illinois