Removing Lettering from Intermountain HO Freight Cars

golden1014

Gentlemen,

I'd like to re-letter my HO Intermountain FGE reefers.
Can anyone recommend the best way to remove the
factory-applied lettering so I can decal my way to
happiness?

Thanks,
John

John Golden
Bloomington, IN

http://www.pbase.com/golden1014
http://s-clmodeler.aclsal.org/currentissue/sclmodeler2007-2.pdf

Bruce Smith

On Sat, November 24, 2007 10:46 pm, John Golden wrote:
Gentlemen,

I'd like to re-letter my HO Intermountain FGE reefers.
Can anyone recommend the best way to remove the
factory-applied lettering so I can decal my way to
happiness?

Thanks,
John
John,

Buy the kits <VBG>. They are a lot more "flexible" in that they are
undec, and come with all the parts including both etched and wood running
boards. I'll be "backdating" a few to 1944 <G>. The only issue is
decals, and right now, I'm planning on using Martin's.

Are you relettering or just renumbering or are you changing the paint as
well? What are you using for decals?

Regards
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

golden1014

Bruce, All,

I picked up a decorated, "RTR" car at Naperville for a song but it's
in the post-1951 all yellow scheme. For my era, I need the black-
trimmed "Ventilator-Refrigerator" cars. I have a few extra Sunshine
and Champ decals on hand but I need to study the photos to determine
which decals to use. I'll probably end up using a combination of
both.

I tried to remove lettering last night using decal setting solution
with zero success. I'll try something stronger tonight. I heard a
pencil eraser might work.

I agree with your assessment on kits--that's the best way to go.
However, I have about 20 unbuilt kits and another 12-15 cars on the
workbench right now and the thought of picking up a few more kits is
a bit unsettling!

John

John Golden
Bloomington, IN

--- In STMFC@..., "Bruce Smith" <smithbf@...> wrote:

[...]

prgm_mgr

Hi John
I'd start by seeing if decal setting solution will remove them -
likely not since I'll bet the car was stamp printed when made. If
that doesn't work, try to locate an ink eraser ( the gritty one) or
an old carbon/typewriter eraser. You can then "erase" the lettering
you don't want. If you can't find these, you could glue some 600 -
1000 grit sand paper to a dowel end and create your own eraser.

Good Luck
Mark

--- In STMFC@..., John Golden <golden1014@...> wrote:

Gentlemen,

I'd like to re-letter my HO Intermountain FGE reefers.
Can anyone recommend the best way to remove the
factory-applied lettering so I can decal my way to
happiness?

Thanks,
John

John Golden
Bloomington, IN

http://www.pbase.com/golden1014
http://s-clmodeler.aclsal.org/currentissue/sclmodeler2007-2.pdf

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

John,

You need to pick up the pace with only 20 kits on standby; I have 97 waiting for the snow to fall.

Fred Freitas
Bennington, VT

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Fred Freitas wrote:
You need to pick up the pace with only 20 kits on standby; I have 97 waiting for the snow to fall.
Well said, Fred!

Publishers of books on railroad history

Miller, Andrew S. <asmiller@...>

Fred,
I don't think much snow falls in John's neck of the woods ;-)

regards,

Andy Miller

You need to pick up the pace with only 20 kits on standby; I
have 97 waiting for the snow to fall.

Fred Freitas
Bennington, VT

Greg Martin

John,

You might consider Denatured Alcohol as an alternative to an eraser. I have used it in the past with better than avarage results and you can buy it in quarts at your local hardware store.? Appley it let is set and it should remove the lettering.

Greg Martin

[...]

Greg,

I tried the alcohol treatment last night and it worked. As I
suspected, however, the alcohol softened up the paint around the
lettering and a little of that came off too. Now I have a yellow car
with some light gray streaks. After a little decal and weathering I
think everything will come out just right.

Thanks,
John

John Golden
Bloomington, IN