CG '37 AAR 10' door and a half box cars

Earl Tuson

Hello,

A short article with roster of CG 40' and 50' steel box cars on the CGRHS web site (http://cofg.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=74&Itemid=44) shows 6300-6499, 6500-6599, and 6600-6999 as all having 10' wide doorways. One lettering vendor (Greg Komar) lists a set of dry transfers as being appropriate for 6300-6999. However, the 1937 AAR box car roster located on the steamfreightcars.com website appears to indicate that CG 6300-6499 had 6' wide doors only, while it concurs with the above on the other two series of door and a half cars. Is there an oversight on the steamfreightcars roster?

Earl Tuson

Earl Tuson

However, the 1937 AAR box car roster located on the steamfreightcars.com
website appears to indicate that CG 6300-6499 had 6' wide doors only, while
it concurs with the above on the other two series of door and a half cars. Is
there an oversight on the steamfreightcars roster?
I just found the answer to my own question. I overlooked the photo I have of CG 6306 on the Suncook Valley in 1951. A 10' door and a half car it is.

Earl Tuson

jerryglow2

Martin had a "mini-kit" or "party favor" to do this car. Apparantly
he ran a batch for a Georgia hobby shop where I got mine to do:
http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/modeling/CofG.html

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@..., "Earl Tuson" <etuson@...> wrote:

However, the 1937 AAR box car roster located on the
steamfreightcars.com
website appears to indicate that CG 6300-6499 had 6' wide doors
only, while
it concurs with the above on the other two series of door and a
half cars. Is
there an oversight on the steamfreightcars roster?
I just found the answer to my own question. I overlooked the photo
I have of CG 6306 on the Suncook Valley in 1951. A 10' door and a
half car it is.

Earl Tuson

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 2, 2007, at 10:15 PM, Earl Tuson wrote:

However, the 1937 AAR box car roster located on the
steamfreightcars.com
> website appears to indicate that CG 6300-6499 had 6' wide doors
only, while
> it concurs with the above on the other two series of door and a
half cars. Is
> there an oversight on the steamfreightcars roster?

I just found the answer to my own question. I overlooked the photo I
have of CG 6306 on the Suncook Valley in 1951. A 10' door and a half
car it is.
This example illustrates a common practice about which ORER entries can
be deceiving. Many cars built in the 1920s with 1-1/2 or double side
doors for use as automobile box cars became obsolete for that purpose
after the invention ca. 1930 of Evans double-deck auto racks, which
required a minimum interior height of about ten feet. As a result,
their owners converted them into plain XM box cars in the 1930s.
Sometimes their auxiliary doors were removed and the exterior sheathing
and interior lining extended to the new door posts cars so modified
can usually be identified by the fact that their upper door tracks were
almost always left in place. More often, however, this conversion was
carried out simply by fastening the auxiliary doors permanently shut,
so that externally the cars still appeared to be 1-1/2 or double door
cars. In such cases, it was common to stencil "single door car" or
words to that effect on the auxiliary doors. In the ORERs, of course,
such cars were shown as single door cars with 6' wide door openings.

Richard Hendrickson

Tony Thompson

Richard Hendrickson wrote:
This example illustrates a common practice about which ORER entries can be deceiving . . . often, however, this conversion was carried out simply by fastening the auxiliary doors permanently shut, so that externally the cars still appeared to be 1-1/2 or double door cars. In such cases, it was common to stencil "single door car" or words to that effect on the auxiliary doors. In the ORERs, of course, such cars were shown as single door cars with 6' wide door openings.
To the occasional regret of modelers, the ORER was not intended to provide modeling information of this kind <g>.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Tony Higgins

Do you have contact information for that shop? I've been wanting to
build one of these for a long time. Beautiful model, BTW. Did you use
the G. Komar transfers?

Thanks,
Tony Higgins
Pittsford, NY

--- In STMFC@..., "jerryglow2" <jerryglow@...> wrote:

Martin had a "mini-kit" or "party favor" to do this car. Apparantly
he ran a batch for a Georgia hobby shop where I got mine to do:
http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/modeling/CofG.html

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@..., "Earl Tuson" <etuson@> wrote:

However, the 1937 AAR box car roster located on the
steamfreightcars.com
website appears to indicate that CG 6300-6499 had 6' wide doors
only, while
it concurs with the above on the other two series of door and a
half cars. Is
there an oversight on the steamfreightcars roster?
I just found the answer to my own question. I overlooked the
photo
I have of CG 6306 on the Suncook Valley in 1951. A 10' door and a
half car it is.

Earl Tuson

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

Ted says he's going to do this car.
Clark Propst

jerryglow2

I think I used Microscale decals which had just come out at the time.
I'm more comfortable with water based decals even to the point of
putting some dry transfer type on clear film. (NOT a criticism of dry
transfers - just that like Cline Eastwood said "A man's got to know his
limitations").

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@..., "Tony Higgins" <earthman92853@...> wrote:

Do you have contact information for that shop? I've been wanting to
build one of these for a long time. Beautiful model, BTW. Did you use
the G. Komar transfers?

Thanks,
Tony Higgins
Pittsford, NY

Frank Greene

Do you have contact information for that shop? I've been wanting to build one of these for a long time. Beautiful model, BTW. Did you use the G. Komar transfers?
Thanks,
Tony Higgins
Riverdale Station
770-991-6085
Tu - Sat 10-5:30

Frank Greene
Memphis, TN

Frank Greene

Ted says he's going to do this car.
Clark Propst
<http://www.speedwitch.com/Advance/adv_speedwitch_no2_low.pdf> says he's doing the 50' car.

Frank Greene
Memphis, TN

jerryglow2

Frank is quite correct - I don't know what made me think it was the
Savannah area instead of outskirts of Atlanta.

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@..., "Frank Greene" <frgreene290@...> wrote:

Do you have contact information for that shop? I've been wanting to
build one of these for a long time. Beautiful model, BTW. Did you
use
the G. Komar transfers?

Thanks,
Tony Higgins
Riverdale Station
770-991-6085
Tu - Sat 10-5:30

Frank Greene
Memphis, TN

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

Oops!
Clark Propst

--- In STMFC@..., "Frank Greene" <frgreene290@...> wrote:

Ted says he's going to do this car.
Clark Propst
<http://www.speedwitch.com/Advance/adv_speedwitch_no2_low.pdf> says
he's
doing the 50' car.

Frank Greene
Memphis, TN

Earl Tuson

Did you use the G. Komar transfers?
Speaking of those, I have seen from Gene Deimling's P48 version of this car that the Komar set includes the 'modified box' reporting mark style with the Nancy Hanks/Man O' War slogans. Does the Komar set also come with the rounded style lettering that would have been used on the 6300-6499 and 6500-6599 cars when built? Furthermore, when (or to which, if known) were the Nancy Hanks/Man O'War slogan applied? TIA,

Earl Tuson

Don Worthy

Earl
The "StreamLine" scheme was very brief, from June of 1952 to the end of 53 on cars painted in the CG shops. The 1st group of PS1 boxcars were the only cars that had the "factory" scheme, which is different from the shop painted cars. There are several things that are different between the two schemes.
Don Worthy
Ivey, Ga.

Earl Tuson <etuson@...> wrote:
> Did you use the G. Komar transfers?

Speaking of those, I have seen from Gene Deimling's P48 version of this car that the Komar set includes the 'modified box' reporting mark style with the Nancy Hanks/Man O' War slogans. Does the Komar set also come with the rounded style lettering that would have been used on the 6300-6499 and 6500-6599 cars when built? Furthermore, when (or to which, if known) were the Nancy Hanks/Man O'War slogan applied? TIA,

Earl Tuson

centga@...

I'll add to what Don Worthy noted, The C of G used round style reporting marks on freight cars until 12-44 IIRC, then the railroad used a?square style lettering on all cars repainted up?until 58'. Exceptions to this are one series of covered hoppers delivered in 53' with the older?round style?lettering that was?an oversight on the mfg. The Microscale decals for the C of G boxcars have all three reporting mark styles included in the set.?Also Don wrote, the Money Saver painted scheme was only used for about 1 yr but?some cars still carried this lettering at least?through the 70's. There's also evidence of some cars having this style lettering "touched up" after 1953 instead of a a full repaint.?This was a popular paint?scheme?as it was photographed often on all the 40' & 50" cars owned by the Central. One series of 40' cars, 6075-6099 used Superior doors instead of the more common Youngstown type. If anyone has a photo of one of these cars I would like to get a copy.
??
? ?Ted had announced that he's going to do the 50' version of this car?which will be a great!!!! I've asked him?to consider offering the 4' door as a separate piece. I don't think that Riverdale Station?has any of the door kits in stock. ?? Todd Horton

More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail ! - http://o.aolcdn.com/cdn.webmail.aol.com/mailtour/aol/en-us/text.htm?ncid=aolcmp00050000000003